Desktops forum

General discussion

RAM....Go with speed or amount....

by lightsout / February 18, 2008 11:09 AM PST

I have a Asus P4 motherboard that supports 2GB of PC 2700 DDR RAM. My motherboard has 3 slots to hold DDR RAM. Previosly I had two 512MB PC 2700 RAM moduels in there and just recently put in a 1GB PC 2700 moduel in the third slot to total 2GB. After going on the crucial memory website and using their site to scan my motherboard's memory capabilities I got the following message:

"This motherboard supports a maximum of 3GB of memory when using PC2100 or slower memory. When using PC2700 or faster the motherboard only supports two modules at that speed for a maximum of 2GB. If 3 PC2700 parts are installed, they operate at 266 MHz."

So it appears that because I have added more memory to my system I have slowed down the memory to PC 2100, 266 MHz. Now my question is, what is better for over all performance, having my memory at a slower speed, or less memory at a higher speed?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: RAM....Go with speed or amount....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: RAM....Go with speed or amount....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Since XP or VIsta limits apps to 2.0 GB
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2008 11:12 AM PST

Why go past this?

Collapse -
missing my point
by lightsout / February 18, 2008 11:26 AM PST

Your missing my point. I am not planning on going past 2GB. But because I added a third memory module bringing my total memory up to 2GB, I have actually slowed the speed down to 266 MHz as apposed to the 333 MHz it was at when I had only two models in totaling 1 GB of RAM. So I am wondering if it is better to remove one of the 512MB modules to bring the speed back up or leave it as it is?

Collapse -
Thought
by Bob__B / February 18, 2008 9:27 PM PST
In reply to: missing my point

The only way you are going to be sure is to do your own testing.

Guess...512+512+1@233 will be better than 512+1@333.

Why....less swapping.

As soon as you start using that file it's like throwing out an anchor.

Supports dual channel??

Collapse -
I agree with bob b.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2008 9:49 PM PST

The memory payoff on size rolls off at 512MB, then 1G and past that the return on your investment falls to near zero (for today) after 2GB.

Fix your memory speed issue to keep you and your machine happy.

Bob

Collapse -
check your bios and see what speed your memory is running at
by ramarc / February 18, 2008 10:09 PM PST

you can also download cpu-z from http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php.

if the ram has fallen back to 266mhz, then the decision to keep 2gb would really be dependent on your usage. do you use apps that consume large amounts of ram (photo/video editors, certain games, etc.). if not, dropping back to 1.5gb of 333mhz would probably be better overall.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!