PC Hardware forum

General discussion

RAM downgraded

This has happened since I got my PC. At the bottom of the very first black screen (that tells the specs), it says "RAM downgraded from 333 to 266"

I've asked many guys about that, but haven't received any practical solutions. Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: RAM downgraded
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: RAM downgraded
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RAM downgraded

In reply to: RAM downgraded

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. John

Collapse -
A possibility

In reply to: RAM downgraded

It is a message that your system had a "bad" shutdown, [could be almost anything not normal, not necessarily BAD]. Many mobos will automatically drop the memory bus / FSB to the lowest possible as a protective move. If the problem was just a single goofed shutdown, go into the BIOS and reset the memory bus to 333/166, whichever your BIOS calls it [or the FSB to 333]. It is stated differently in various BIOSes.

If you actually have DDR333 and it won't run at 333, possibly your BIOS has a Manual mode for setting the memory speed. If it does you can increase the Memory bus speed in one MHz increments. Work the manual setting a little at a time until you find the highest stable setting.

I had an ASUS mobo that wouldn't run PC133 at 133, but I could run it at 129 MHz.

One other thing, if you have spread spectrum enabled in the BIOS, disable it. that can give flaky memory a problem. In the ASUS, with spread spectrum enabled, best I could do was 118 MHz.

Collapse -
I did but..

In reply to: A possibility

I've gone into the BIOS. But the options you told me about are unchangeable!!! They're in grey and I can't even choose them by UP and DOWN buttons.

Collapse -
If you weren't angry with me

In reply to: I did but..

you could tell me what mobo you have, and I would download the manual and look if I could see how to go about it.

Have you checked to see that there were no jumpers on the mobo that sets the memory/or FSB limit. I know that PCChips, and some Soyo's have them.

Collapse -
I'm not angry with you!

In reply to: If you weren't angry with me

Actually I haven't bought this PC myself, so I don't know what the mobo model is. How can I know?

I'm noob, sorry Happy

Collapse -
Here's a link

In reply to: I'm not angry with you!

http://www.pcwarfare.com/hdd.tools.htm

Download Belarc or Aida, and run fom a floppy it will tell you everything about your computer. There are other such tools mentioned in these forums also.
Collapse -
Could it be..

In reply to: Here's a link

due to insufficient electric power supply?

Collapse -
Could be, but

In reply to: Could it be..

you have not given info on your PC like the ''Note'' in red indicates when you post a reply:

''Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem.''

What power supply do you have now, is it around 130Watts?
It would be nice to have your specs in your profile (click on your name).

Collapse -
Updated profile..

In reply to: Could be, but

- Intel Pentium 4 @ 2.4GHz
- 512Mb DDR RAM
- Power supply: 240 watts
- Geforce4 MX 420
- Creative SB Audigy 2
- ViewSonic E771 17" Monitor
- Creative 6.1 surround speakers

Power supply is 240 watts

Collapse -
Thanks for the PC info and putting it

In reply to: Updated profile..

in your profile.

Everything looks OK, however the Power Supply is a little low although furnished that way on some PC, and can give problems with black screen comments when it gets up in age/usage reducing the power further. Also, the PS will strain when you add more components to what originally came with the PC.

I just installed this $36 420W Thermaltake PSU in one of my computer last night. The old 300W was not giving any problems, but plan on upgrading the video card, and already added an extra HD, DVD burner which will tax the 300W, so I'll be testing this 420W....Yea..some will say you shouldn't get a low dollar PS, but what the H, Ozos mentioned this one the other day, and besides there are 297 testimonials reviews. Grin

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153006

Collapse -
Forgot to say..

In reply to: Thanks for the PC info and putting it

that I'm already connecting 2x Seagate 80Gb HDDs.. should I upgrade to 300 w or to 420 w? I'm planning to buy a Geforce 6600gt soon, by the way.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) But of course, IMO upgrade to 420 W +

In reply to: Forgot to say..

Collapse -
Sorry about being late..

In reply to: If you weren't angry with me

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.