Computer Help forum

General discussion

Ram and video card, and intel pentium d

Hello,
i have a few questions here about my computer the first one is this:

i have an intel pentium D 820 dual core processor and i have installed the micsorsoft hotfix KB896256 and followed the stepps to change the rgistry. this fix was supposed to tell th computer that there are 2 cores and to use them when playing a game, but it doesnt seem to be doing this it still seems to be using just one core.. so is there anythign else i can do to get it to use both cores

my second question is about my video card memroy. i have a nvidia 7600 gt pci E xpress gfx card with 256 mb of memory, but to play FSX the recommended is 512, i have 2gb of system ram avaliable is there a way i could make the computer/ gfx card use 256 mb of the free memory so that it has 512 mb to use?

my system spec is:
Windows xp home sp2
intel pentium D 820 dual core smithflield
Nvidia 7600 GT 256MB pci E
2gb ddr 2 3200 Sdram
160gb 7200 rpm hdd

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ram and video card, and intel pentium d
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ram and video card, and intel pentium d
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Answers

In reply to: Ram and video card, and intel pentium d

First, not being completely familiar with the patch you mention, I'll say that typically you need two things in order for programs to support multi(-core) CPUs. First you need to have support for it in the operating system, which is what that patch likely provided. The second thing you need, is for the program itself to be written to be multi-core/CPU aware. This is the major hurdle yet to be cleared. Writing a program to use multiple cores/CPUs requires a pretty significant re-engineering of the entire program, so it's likely you're only going to see it on new games, not added to older games.

As for your other question, no there is no way to do this, nor would you really want to if you could. The overhead incurred by trying to keep a segment of system RAM synced with your video card RAM would be prohibitive from both the programming and performance standpoint. Not to mention most video cards have specialized graphics RAM, and it's using DDR3 technology, while your system RAM is plain DDR. So the system RAM doesn't have nearly the bandwidth your video card RAM does. It's also not the low latency stuff they put on video cards, so you'd be crippling your video card's performance by doing this.

You'll have to put a price tag on how important it is for you to be able to play this specific game. Is it enough to go out and buy a 512MB video card?

Collapse -
grrr

In reply to: Answers

Grrr this is a brand new video card.im not allowed to buy another one for a few yrs. stupid microsoft.

Collapse -
Not seeing the problem

In reply to: grrr

I thought it seemed a bit odd that a game would require a 512MB video card, so working on the assumption that "FSX" is Flight Simulator X, you should be more than set with a 256MB video card.

According to the system requirements, it requires 256MB of SYSTEM RAM, 512MB if running Vista, and the video card only needs to be a 32MB DirectX 9 capable card. So, anything GeForceFX and later should work on the nVidia side, and ATI's been rebranding everything so often lately I can't keep track.

So even if you use the common rule of thumb, and double those specifications for acceptable performance, you should still be well above that.

If "FSX" is some other game, then who knows.

Collapse -
Exactly what PC is it you have...mfg/series and model # or

In reply to: Ram and video card, and intel pentium d

if clone what MB ?

The are many Socket 775 MBs that will work with the Pentium D 820 processor. However, some of those, such as the ASUS P5NSLI, only recognize the D 820 as a single core CPU.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
my pc

In reply to: Exactly what PC is it you have...mfg/series and model # or

my pc is :
Product number
EC526AA
Introduction date
9-Aug-2005
Country/region sold in
United Kingdom
Hardware
Base processor
PentiumD 820 (S) 2.8 GHz:
800 MHz front side bus
Socket 775
Chipset
Intel 945P
Motherboard
Manufacturer: Asus
Motherboard Name: P5LP-LE
HP/Compaq motherboard name: Lithium-UL8E
Memory
Component Attributes
Memory Installed 1 GB (2 x 512)
Maximum allowed 4 GB* (4 x 1 GB) requires the replacement of the installed 512 MB DIMMs

*Actual available memory may be less
Speed supported PC2-3200 MB/sec
Type 240 pin, DDR2 SDRAM
DIMM slots Four
Open DIMM slots Two

Hard drive
200 GB SATA
7200 rpm
16x DVD(+/-)R/RW DL LightScribe drive
must use Double-Layer media discs in order to take advantage of the DL technology
must use LightScribe-enabled media discs and supporting software in order to take advantage of the LightScribe technology
type Attributes
DVD+R DL Write Once 2.4X
DVD+R Write Once 16X
DVD+RW Rewritable 4X
DVD-R Write Once 8X
DVD-RW Rewritable 4X
DVD ROM Read 16X
CD-R Write Once 40X
CD-RW Rewritable 24X
CD-ROM Read 40X

Modem
PCI K56flex data/fax modem
Video graphics
Ge Force 6200
64 MB DDR memory
I/O Ports: DVI, S-video VGA
Sound/audio
Integrated Intel High Definition(TM) audio (Azalia)
Realtek ALC 882 chipset
THX certification support
8-channels for Full Dolby 5.1/6.1/7.1 surround sound support with Dolby Pro Logic IIx
Dolby 5.1
Network (LAN)
Integrated 10/100 Base-T networking interface
Memory card reader
USB interface
Supports the following cards:
Compact Flash I
Compact Flash II
SmartMedia
Memory Stick
Memory Stick Pro
MultiMediaCard
Secure Digital (SD)
Micro Drive
XD Picture Card (xD = extreme digital)
External I/O ports
I/O ports on the front panel
Port type Quantity
9-in-1 (4 slot) + 1 USB One
IEEE 1394 One
USB (2.0) Two
Headphone One
Line-In One
Microphone One

I/O ports on the back panel
Port type Quantity
PS/2 (keyboard, mouse) Two (one each)
Parallel One
USB (2.0) Four
IEEE 1394 One
LAN One
Audio One each (side speaker out, rear speaker out, center speaker out, line-in, line-out, microphone)

Expansion slots
Slot type Quantity
PCI Three (two available)
PCI Express One (occupied)
DIMM Four (two available)

Drive bays
Bay type Quantity
5.25-inch, external Two (one available)
3.5-inch, external Two (one available)
3.5-inch, internal One (occupied)

Keyboard and mouse
HP wireless keyboard
HP premium wireless mouse
Software
NOTE: HP provides basic support for software that comes with the computer. For in-depth feature assistance, refer to the help section in the software or on the software vendor's Web site.

Key to software:
cd/dvd = media included in box
Software titles that shipped with PC Software Category Software Title
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Microsoft Service Pack 2

CD/CD-RW/DVD/DVD+RW WinDVD 5 Player Basic (with optional 7.1 upgrade)
Sonic DigitalMedia Plus 7
Sonic MyDVD Plus 6.1

Entertainment, Music & Games iTunes 4.7 (w/Quicktime)
Real Player
Software offers

Imaging, Photography, Video & Film HP Image Zone Plus 4.5

Productivity & Finance Adobe Reader
Microsoft Works 8.0

Security Norton Internet Security 2005 (60-day security update subscription)

Utility, Maintenance & Performance PC-Doctor

Recovery Microsoft System restore
Recovery Software Suite
Software Repair Wizard

Service & Support Help & Support Center
Desktop Web-based registration
Online documentation

ISP signup ISP offers

HP Partner offers Symantec Security Connection

Collapse -
and

In reply to: my pc

yes it is for FLight simulator and this is my mother board specs.

i only get frames of 15-17 and low settings and5 over major cities.

Part / Feature Specification / Support
Motherboard description Motherboard manufacturer's name: ASUS P5LP-LE
HP/Compaq name: Lithium-UL8E

CPU/Processor Socket: 775
Supports Pentium D (Smithfield) up to 3.2 GHz and Pentium4 (Prescott) up to 580 and 670

System bus 533 MHz, 800 MHz, 1066 MHz

Chipset Northbridge: Intel 945P
Southbridge: Intel I/O Controller Hub 7

BIOS features The mainboard BIOS provides ?Plug & Play? BIOS which detects the peripheral devices and expansion cards of the board automatically
The mainboard provides a Desktop Management Interface (DMI) function which records your mainboard specifications

Form factor Micro-ATX: 9.6 in X 9.6 in

Memory Four 240-pin DDR2 DIMM sockets
Supports PC2 4200 (533 MHz) and PC2 5300 (667 MHz) DDR2 DIMMs
Supports 1.8v DDR2 SDRAM
Maximum HP/Compaq approved memory is 4 GB*

NOTE: *Actual available memory may be less

Expansion slots One PCI Express x16 graphics
Three PCI

Video graphics External only

Serial ATA 4 SATA connectors
Each connector supports 1 serial ATA-150 disk drive

Onboard audio or audio card Integrated Intel High Definition (TM) audio (Azalia)
Realtek ALC 882 CODEC
THX certification support
8-channels for Full Dolby 5.1/6.1/7.1 surround sound support with Dolby Pro Logic IIx
Onboard LAN Intel 82562GT
10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet

Back panel I/0 One PS/2 keyboard
One PS/2 mouse
One Parallel
One IEEE 1394
One RJ-45 networking port
Four USB 2.0
One coaxial SPDIF in
One coaxial SPDIF out
Six audio connectors: side speaker out, rear speaker out, center/subwoofer, line in, line out, and microphone

Internal connectors One floppy port supports 1 FDD with 360K, 720K, 1.2M, 1.44M and 2.88Mbytes
One IDE
One 24-pin ATX power
One 4-pin ATX 12 V power
Four serial ATA
Four USB 2.0 ports on two connectors
Two internal audio
One front headphone and microphone
One IEEE 1394a
One CPU fan
One system (chassis) fan

Collapse -
In that case

In reply to: and

Without reading through all that info you posted, have you tried updating your video drivers yet? If you haven't done this at all, you're probably using fairly generic ones that won't have all the necessary info to access the DX9 abilities of the card.

Motherboard drivers can also be important on some systems, so be sure to check for any updated versions of those as well.

If you use McAfee VirusScan, replace it with something else. VirusScan saps about 20% of your total system performance just for normal operations. I like AVG Free, but do your homework and make your own decision if necessary.

You could also try turning the detail levels down to the lowest possible settings, and making sure features like anti-aliasing are turned off at the video card driver.

Finally, making sure your system is free of spyware/malware pests is always a good performance tuning idea. Remove any file sharing programs you may have (they're loaded with spyware, and most everything on them contains either a virus or some other malware), and make sure that the number of programs running at the same time as your game is kept to a minimum.

Try some of these things, and get back to us if it doesn't improve.

Collapse -
fsx

In reply to: In that case

ive done all that ive updated all the drivers i think i find nvidia drivers hard to find from the nvidia site. i have trend micro 2007 as my firwall.

i cant put the settings down cause its makes the game unplayable cause you cant read anything.

Collapse -
In that case

In reply to: fsx

It sounds like you've got something sapping the performance of your system, and until you pin down what it is, you're stuck. IIRC, that game was also designed to be released on the Xbox 360, which puts a pretty firm ceiling on its requirements, which you exceed 2-3X or more in every category.

The final thing I can think of to test for is the infamous XP DMA bug. For inexplicable reasons, XP sometimes likes to put drives into PIO mode. Fixing it can be as simple as toggling a switch, or as annoying as removing the primary or secondary IDE controller from the Device Manager and letting it be reinstalled on the next bootup. All depends on the system.

Collapse -
how do i

In reply to: In that case

how do i find out what to problem is i have jsut put in some fuxy thing for that thing you just mentioned and it didnt seem to make anything better i dont know what else you said i dont know how to remove ide thingys. the fps are fine untill you move.

Collapse -
how do i............

In reply to: how do i

Open "Device Manager" (control panel->system->hardware->device manager.
Click on "IDE Controllers" & go to each primary and secondary controller
in turn. Open "Advanced" tab and see if the controller is set to DMA.
If it is, back out. If it is set to PIO, reset it. Just do the primary & secondary controllers. Sometimes WinXP will change the settings for
some unknown reason. Thus the comment about "DMA bug" This can happen randomly, so it might have happened to you!

Collapse -
they are

In reply to: how do i............

they are all in dma mode,how else can i find out what the problem is.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.