Laptops forum

General discussion

RAM

by Scientific / August 16, 2004 2:09 PM PDT

Any recommendations on where I should buy RAM? Looking to move up to 512mb RAM and was wondering if I could get it cheaper than the $125 upgrade option when purchaing the notebook.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: RAM
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: RAM
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: RAM
by KenSanramon / August 17, 2004 7:15 AM PDT
In reply to: RAM

Absolutely, get the 2nd RAM module separately but you would perhaps get the best bang for the buck ordering 512MB RAM.

If your Notebook uses PC2700 (333mhz) get that or if PC2100 then you could get PC2700 (backwards compatible if a better price).

Go to crucial.com or kingston.com and put in your manufacturer and system # to guarantee compatibility with that companies memory (also try Pnymemory which is sold at Circuit City/Compusa but has a website).

Many students and others at x1000forums.com order 256mb to save money and then add 512mb RAM for under $100 on sale for 768mb RAM total.

For example, I just bought a 512mb RAM module (Kingston PC 2700 512mb (333mhz) for 69.99 after a $20 rebate at Fry's Electronics (sale price good thorugh today -- Tuesday 8/17 - sale price in Friday newspaper).

If you are not on the west coast Compusa has PNY memory PC2700 512mb RAM on sale for 65.00 after rebates (through this week I think but not sure).

And, of course, Crucial.com is a great quality RAM that has everyday prices (and ships to you) but you will likely pay over $100 for 512mb RAM (but much less than that if you really only want to add 256mb) ..

Collapse -
Re: RAM laptop upgrade
by cgarrity / August 17, 2004 11:25 AM PDT
In reply to: RAM

Just a note. It's a little harder installing laptop RAM compared with upgrading a desktop. Be prepared to having to remove your laptop keyboard in order to get to the RAM slot. That's the way it is in my Sony Vaio laptop. Other laptops make it easier by providing access through the bottom of the computer directly to the RAM slots. If you have to go in through the top and you're not a expert, follow your manual carefully. Then again, if I can do it, you shouldn't have any trouble. If you want to look around the web for pricing, google "laptop memory" and you will see several sites selling memory chips.

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / August 18, 2004 8:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: RAM laptop upgrade

In my Compaq X1000 series notebook the 1st slot is under the keyboard but the 2nd (and one left open if not both filled already) slot is easily accessed in a slot under the notebook -- just remove screw, pop off cover (metail clips hold it in) -- always remove the A/C power cord and the battery module 1st -- either touch a large metal object to ground yourself before handling the memory (like the power supply on a desktop) or buy a cheap static discharge wriststrap and attach it to a metal grounding object.

I just brought down an old desktop and touched that (and I was on the kitchen linoleum not a carpet to build up static).

Note: Fry's Electronics had generic 256mb PC2700 memory on sale last night only (8/17) for 29.99 (no rebate) and today (2 day sale through 8/19) they have generic PC2700 512mb memory for 59.99 no rebate). The Kingston memory I got has a lifetime warranty (and a rebate) but this still is at least 1 year I think and generic memory has been fine for me in the past from Fry's.

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / August 18, 2004 8:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: RAM laptop upgrade

Sorry, I think this memory above is desktop memory as it is 184 pin.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?