PC Hardware forum

General discussion

RAM

by bri2 / March 5, 2007 6:41 AM PST

I'm looking to upgrade the memory on my computer,Iknow which I need but am wondering why there is such a difference in cost between makes?
The specs are the same so what would the difference be?
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: RAM
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: RAM
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
When I see disparity I look at...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2007 6:48 AM PST
In reply to: RAM

Who's selling it and more. For instance Dell doesn't get their RAM off the spot market but may buy it when the machines were made, pay the price then and not adjust prices as time passes. Crucial.com has a higher inventory turns so it's price could be lower. Then we move to companies that only stock the 20% of what models comprise 80% of the market. These 20/80 vendors will be names such as Newegg or other and the price is lower due to volume but you may not be able to find RAM for your machine.

Hope this explains it for you.

Bob

Collapse -
Exactly what PC do you have and what RAM are
by VAPCMD / March 5, 2007 11:05 AM PST
In reply to: RAM

looking at ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Ram
by bri2 / March 5, 2007 7:07 PM PST

I have a dimension 3000 with 512mb/ram

Collapse -
Just in case...here's what your mfg says you should
by VAPCMD / March 5, 2007 10:15 PM PST
In reply to: Ram

install....

Memory

Type
333- and 400-MHz DDR SDRAM

NOTE: DDR 333 and DDR 400 memory runs at 266 MHz when configured with Celeron 400 MHz FSB processors

NOTE: DDR 333 memory runs at 320MHz when configured with Pentium 4 800 MHz FSB processors

Memory connectors two

Memory capacities 128-, 256-, 512-, or 1-GB nonECC

Minimum memory 128 MB

NOTE: Between 1 and 64 MB of system memory may be allocated to support graphics, depending on system memory size and other factors.

Maximum memory 2 GB

BIOS address F0000h

Should be able to find compatible RAM at Crucial. com, Corsair.com, Kingston.com or retailers like Newegg.com.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.