Computer Help forum

General discussion

RAM

by k akers / July 28, 2006 9:53 PM PDT

I have a P-4 1.7Ghz PC. In the PC's motherboard there are 4 slots available for RAM's. 2 are for SDRAM and the other 2 are for DDR RAM. Now i am making some changes in it. Firstly which type of RAM should i opt for SDRAM or DDR-RAM? Are SDRAM and DDR-RAM compatible?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: RAM
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: RAM
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RAM?
by John.Wilkinson / July 29, 2006 4:51 AM PDT
In reply to: RAM

DDR stands for ?double data rate? and is actually a type of SDRAM. For instance, for an older computer you may purchase PC100 SDRAM, while for a newer computer you may purchase PC3200 DDR SDRAM. There?s even newer types of RAM known as DDR2 SDRAM and DDR3 SDRAM, but that doesn?t apply here.

Now, some motherboards support both older and newer RAM, but only one type at a time. That means you could use older, slower PC100 SDRAM or the newer, faster PC3200 DDR SDRAM.I believe that is the case based on what you are describing. To be sure, though, we need to know the model of the motherboard. If you aren?t sure, you can click here to download a free program called Everest. Install/run it and then go Motherboard->Motherboard to find out the make and model, then post the results here. From that we can tell you exactly what type of RAM you can/should you, how much you can install at one time, and what the best deal is at this time.

Let us know.
John

Collapse -
i need help
by MrFizzy / August 27, 2006 6:52 PM PDT
In reply to: RAM?

i wan 2 add a gig of ram 2 my 4 years old pc.......can u xplain 2 me da ideal solution?.....here is my mother board info:

Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID 03/05/2002-SiS650-P4S333VM
Motherboard Name Asus P4S333-VM

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type Intel NetBurst
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 101 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 404 MHz
Bandwidth 3228 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties
Bus Type SiS MuTIOL
Bus Width 16-bit

Motherboard Physical Info
CPU Sockets/Slots 1 Socket 478
Expansion Slots 3 PCI, 1 AGP
RAM Slots 2 DDR DIMM
Integrated Devices Video
Form Factor Micro ATX
Motherboard Size 190 mm x 240 mm
Motherboard Chipset SiS650
Extra Features JumperFree

Motherboard Manufacturer
Company Name ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
Product Information http://www.asus.com/products1.aspx?l1=3
BIOS Download http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Collapse -
Ok...
by John.Wilkinson / August 28, 2006 8:51 AM PDT
In reply to: i need help

1.) Your motherboard can handle a maximum of 2GB of RAM.
2.) You have 2 slots, each of which can accept a 1GB stick.
3.) Your motherboard can use PC1600 DDR200 SDRAM and PC2100 DDR266 SDRAM. The choice of which to use is yours, but PC2100 yields better performance.

Unfortunately I'm not sure how much RAM you have installed already, or how it's 'broken up' (what capacity stick in each slot). There are three possibilities:

1.) You currently have one of your two slots open and can simply purchase a 1GB stick and install it.

2.) You already have more than 1GB installed, which means you cannot install an additional GB...your motherboard wouldn't be able to handle it.

3.) Both slots currently have sticks of RAM in them, meaning you'd have to remove one to install the new. In a hypothetical situation, if you have 2 256MB sticks installed, for a total of 512MB, you would have to remove one to install a 1GB stick, leaving you with 1280MB installed, 768MB more than you have now.

See what Everest states is currently installed as far as RAM is concerned and that will tell you which of those three situations you are in.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
can i???
by MrFizzy / August 30, 2006 6:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Ok...

currently i have intalled a 128mb ddr in a slot.......now i wish 2 buy a 1 gig ddr.......can i use pc333 or pc400,it's not expensive.........or can i use a 1 gig ddr2,cuz it's much cheaper than pc400......in malaysia............plz help!

Collapse -
No...
by John.Wilkinson / August 31, 2006 12:03 PM PDT
In reply to: can i???

First let me say that DDR2 SDRAM is not backwards compatible with DDR SDRAM...it won't even physically fit into the slot. Thus, that's not an option at all.

In regards to using DDR333 (PC2700) or DDR400 (PC3200), your motherboard isn't rated for it. You shouldn't have a problem using either of those frequencies, but your motherboard is incapable of using the RAM to its full potential...it will run at PC2100 speeds. Thus, there is no reason to spend more on DDR400.

John

Collapse -
ohh so
by MrFizzy / September 6, 2006 6:24 PM PDT
In reply to: No...

there will b no prob if i use ddr333 or ddr400 rite? it's hard 2 find a 1gig pc2100............

Collapse -
Shouldn't be...
by John.Wilkinson / September 8, 2006 2:21 AM PDT
In reply to: ohh so

DDR SDRAM was designed to be backwards compatible, so there shouldn't be a problem doing that. Just be aware that the RAM will run at slower speeds because of your motherboard's limitations.

John

Collapse -
thanx
by MrFizzy / September 11, 2006 6:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Shouldn't be...

thanx 4 helping me..........

Collapse -
my motherboard details
by k akers / October 5, 2006 12:59 AM PDT
In reply to: RAM?

Motherboard

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard ID 08/22/2002-P4M266-8233-6A6LWJ19C-00
Motherboard Name Jetway P4MFM

Front Side Bus Properties:
Bus Type Intel NetBurst
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 101 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 404 MHz
Bandwidth 3232 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties:
Bus Type VIA V-Link
Bus Width 8-bit

Motherboard Physical Info:
CPU Sockets/Slots 1 Socket 478
Expansion Slots 3 PCI, 1 AGP
RAM Slots 2 SDR DIMM, 2 DDR DIMM
Integrated Devices Audio, Video
Form Factor Micro ATX
Motherboard Size 240 mm x 240 mm
Motherboard Chipset P4M266

Motherboard Manufacturer:
Company Name Jetway Information Co., Ltd.
Product Information http://www.jetway.com.tw/evisn/product/index.htm
BIOS Download http://www.jetway.com.tw/evisn/download/bios/index.htm

Collapse -
The choice...
by John.Wilkinson / October 5, 2006 3:20 AM PDT
In reply to: my motherboard details

You have a choice between PC133 SDRAM and PC2100 DDR266 SDRAM. (It can handle both but not at the same time.) The latter is both faster and usually cheaper so it's the one I would choose.

Now, you can install a maximum of 2GB, meaning two 1GB sticks of PC2100. If you currently have PC133 SDRAM you'll want to remove it so that you can step up to PC2100 and add the RAM you want.

Hope this helps,
John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!