PC Hardware forum

General discussion

RAID/SMART diagnostics

by Astix / October 9, 2005 8:55 AM PDT

I recently installed two new 80Gb Samsung P0812C Hard Drives (SATA) into my self-build PC, intending to set up a RAID(0) array.

I now have Windows XP running on my older Samsung HD080HJ (SATA) hard drive, and the two new drives on the RAID array, with one partition at 90Gb and one at 55-or-so Gb. Onto one went my programs (leaving the Windows drive as empty and as 'clean' as possible) and onto the other partition went my documents, backups etc.

Now, a mere week after installing the two new drives, both my DOS RAID utiltity and my Windows RAID utility are saying that one of the two new drives within the array are close to failing, and that data on them should be backed up asap. (This has been done).

I used Windows disk checker to scan the disk for phsyical errors and bad sectors, which returned a few errors and solved them but has not fixed the problem.

I downloaded Samsungs Hard Drive Utility tool from their website, and checked both disks- one of them is indeed having write and scanning errors; however it's not provided me with any analysis of the problem- is it a returnable fault, how soon/likely the disk is to fail etc.

I've tried two different SMART tools to examine the status/fitness of the disk, but neither is actually able to provide any details on either of the two drives that form the RAID array.

My question (sorry about the lengthy introduction) is twofold:

a) Is there a utility that can utilise SMART data from a drive that forms part of a RAID array?

b) What's the best course of action with regards to my array? Return the drive, thus breaking the array and forcing a data restore, or attempt to discover the source of the drive's problem and check for some kind of fix?

Relevant hardware and software setup is as follows:
Intel D925XECV2 Motherboard
Intel 82801FR SATA RAID Controller
1x Samsung HD080HJ 80Gb HDD
2x Samsung P0812C 80Gb HDD

Windows XP Professional SP2 and all up-to-date patches
Intel Matrix Storage Console
Intel 82801FR SATA RAID Controller (at DOS/BIOS level)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: RAID/SMART diagnostics
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: RAID/SMART diagnostics
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In short? No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 9, 2005 9:20 AM PDT
In reply to: RAID/SMART diagnostics

This is one of the issues of such a RAID setup. The owner may balk at replacing a failing drive. To run the drive maker's test proper we have to place it as a single drive and run the test. Often wiping the data.

Sorry to see yet another person tormented by this issue.

In closing, let's say it pinpoints the error to something specific in the drive. Since repair of the drive is done by replacing the drive, such detail is not needed. We only need to know that the drive failed the maker's test.

Cheers,

Bob

Collapse -
Ho hum...
by Astix / October 9, 2005 10:31 AM PDT
In reply to: In short? No.

Hmmm, so I see (he said, examining a bunch of wordy websites on the subject). Looks like it's time to return the thing and see how a new one fares. As I assembled the thing last week it's not too big a deal I guess, and at least I've got time to uninstall properly etc.

Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Hi ho!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 9, 2005 12:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Ho hum...

I agree with many others the industry does a poor job when we need to diagnose their hardware. Hard drive makers were pretty much forced into the issue because the return rate of good hard disks was rising. Their test, as it stands may be as good as it gets.

What do the motherboard makers give us?

Bob

Collapse -
Heh
by Astix / October 9, 2005 7:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Hi ho!

Don't even get me started on motherboards, oooh no. Bought a MSI Neo2 Platinum in January, LGA775 etc. It worked wonderfully until July, when it wouldn't go into POST (no hardware or software changes had been made for about 2 months). Tried resetting the BIOS, still nothing.

Returned it to where I bought it from, and got a straight replacement- which wouldn't even boot right out of the box.

I'm *still* awaiting my refund, three months later. The dud is sat in its box doing naff all, while I had to go out and buy a new board (the Intel one I'm using now) as I needed my rig up immediately.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.