Storage forum

Resolved Question

Raid 250gb with 500 gb

by Petitjean Gilles / December 12, 2015 2:12 PM PST

hi,
I have a 500 gigs ssd in my computer, and a similar one , but 250 gigs.
Is it possible partition my 500 gigs ssd in two 250 gigs ones, and raid 0 one of them with the other 250 gigs ssd?
so i could get a 500 gigs faster ssd, and a 250 normal one

Petitjean Gilles has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Raid 250gb with 500 gb
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Raid 250gb with 500 gb
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Petitjean Gilles

Collapse -
Have to write no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 12, 2015 2:31 PM PST
In reply to: Raid 250gb with 500 gb

If you look around the standards ask for 2 of the same size drives but if you insist some will do that and waste space. This might be "unacceptable" to new RAID users. That is if you RAID 0 a 500 and 250GB set of drives the result is a 250GB RAID 0 drive. Where did the other 250GB go? It's still there but not usable.

RAID would not apply to half a 500GB drive and not the other half. It's all of nothing.

Now you may find some roundabout off the beaten trail way, but those that go down that road are often upset at how lonely it gets.

Collapse -
so technically yes, but no?
by Petitjean Gilles / December 12, 2015 3:12 PM PST
In reply to: Have to write no.

so it is possible, but not recomended? like it's not safe or really hard and could damage/break your drives?

Collapse -
What you asked is not possible.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 12, 2015 3:39 PM PST

That is to take your 250GB partition and RAID just that. There may be a long way to get there but it's the entire drive to RAID then partition and well, you lose half the space on one drive, and any workaround leaves you on your own. I have yet to see anyone write how or offer how to do it other than the way that RAID is normally done.

But why do this? SSD is pretty fast already.

Post was last edited on December 12, 2015 4:19 PM PST

Collapse -
Answer
Answer
by Mighty_Miro_WD Western Digital staff / December 15, 2015 2:28 AM PST
In reply to: Raid 250gb with 500 gb

Hey @Petitjean Gilles!

You cannot setup a RAID 0 with a partition of a drive and another unit, but you have to set them up together instead, which will result in creating a 500GB array. So instead of this I personally would use both drive as two separate units.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Cheers! Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!