Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

RAID 1?

by Omega_Nemesis28 / September 15, 2007 1:27 PM PDT

I'm trying to do mirroring (RAID 1 to be specific) on 2 250GB hard drives.

These hard drives are SEPERATE from my Windows XP Pro SP2 installtion which is located on my 80GB hard drive.

After seting up the the RAID on the 2 hard drives, Windows refuses to boot. It gives me "Windows cannot boot with current hard drive configuration. Cannot read installation from boot disk..." and a bunch of support options like read the manual for further directions.

If I delete the RAID array - I can boot to Windows without a problem and everything is in tact on the Windows hard drive. Why does the RAID effect the Windows boot? Infact, in my BIOS, I have the Windows hard drive on a higher priority boot then the RAID array when it's setup.

Can someone help me?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: RAID 1?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: RAID 1?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not Supported
by Darton Fury / September 15, 2007 4:26 PM PDT
In reply to: RAID 1?

XP doesn't support fault tolerant volumes. It only supports software RAID 0. To configure RAID 1 with XP requires installing host adapter hardware.

Collapse -
?
by Omega_Nemesis28 / September 15, 2007 5:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Not Supported

May i ask what that is?

I didnt create the RAID in XP if that's what your stating. I used my RAID 680i chipset controller to do it.

Collapse -
RAID Controller
by Darton Fury / September 16, 2007 2:17 AM PDT
In reply to: ?

Buy a RAID 1 Controller card and your problem should be solved. Your motherboard supports it but your operating system doesn't without added hardware.

Collapse -
This area is hard on owners. Here's what I learned.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2007 2:41 AM PDT
In reply to: RAID 1?

The RAID drivers must be installed during the OS install. (Some will correct me they can be added later...) But this is an area that XP doesn't handle well so my lesson is to go with what works.

I get my RAID drivers setup on DISKETTE and then begin the XP install. For existing installs I try the XP REPAIR INSTALL (using F6 and that diskette) and have corrected a few machines that way.

Without the diskette seems to be an area that many lose months on. Sorry I don't have time to fumble so I install the drive and get it done.

Bob

Collapse -
Same problem even with fresh XP install and floppy
by zoomie007 / December 14, 2008 4:41 AM PST

I get the same lengthy error message even though I started with a fresh installation of XP and a floppy diskette created using the RAID driver diskette creator from EVGA's website. I'm using an EVGA 680i motherboard with two 150GB WD Raptor drives.

What is confusing is that it appears that the first half of the XP installation worked in RAID 1 form. After Windows setup rebooted so it could continue installation in non-blue screen form, I got the aforementioned error message and had to turn off RAID. But when I rebooted and installation continued, it did so TWICE... once for each installation of XP that had been initiated on the two hard drives. I now have two identical, fresh installations of XP.

Bob, could you perhaps go into more detail regarding how you used the "XP REPAIR INSTALL" and the diskette to set up RAID on existing installations of XP? I couldn't quite figure it out. Thanks for the help!

Collapse -
I see you wrote "XP" a few times.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2008 4:53 AM PST

Another lesson learned here. I now insist on the XP SP2 CD. Why? Some RAID drivers tank, bluescreen or worse without a current XP CD.

"could you perhaps go into more detail regarding how you used the "XP REPAIR INSTALL" and the diskette to set up RAID on existing installations of XP? I couldn't quite figure it out. Thanks for the help!"

I don't do anything different than what you read at google.com when you search for "XP REPAIR INSTALL."

Bob

Collapse -
Should have been more specific
by zoomie007 / December 14, 2008 6:15 AM PST

I am using an XP SP2 CD. Tried the "repair install" track with the diskette just now, watched it specifically load the RAID drivers, still no luck. Any ideas? Or is there any more info I can give that might describe the situation in better detail?

Collapse -
To get more specific
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2008 1:10 AM PST

We turn to your machine's manual. Or if it's an addon card, that manual.

Links to such manual to be supplied by you.

-> Since RAID is not a Microsoft feature the only item I can guess is amiss is the "prep" we do to RAID prior to installing XP SP2. However I don't have your links to the manuals to see if you did the work.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?