Storage forum

General discussion

Raid 0+1 Replacement HD not recognized

by GoreRanger / January 17, 2006 11:03 AM PST

I have an IC7-MAX3 Mobo with a Silicon Image 3114 0+1 raid setup using 4 Western Digital 120gig harddrives. One of the harddrives failed and I bought a replacement Western Digital 120 gig drive which I installed and formated NTFS. Its seen by XP and seen by the SataRaid program but is not visible in the "add member to raid array" screen where you would add a replacment drive. I cannot find help anywhere or anyone who knows how to add this drive to the existing array. Does anyone know? Can a drive be added? Its the same issue when I enter the raid setup while booting. The drive is there but is not part of the array. None of the options offered in the setup do anything to resolve the issue. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

PS - the array is still running although obviously not working correctly with 3 drives. SataRaid is the Silicon Image windows monitoring program.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Raid 0+1 Replacement HD not recognized
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Raid 0+1 Replacement HD not recognized
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just one idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2006 11:17 AM PST

Some of this systems will not add a formatted volume/drive. It's a safety net to prevent people from quickly wiping out disk data.

I would have left the drive blank and then headed to whatever raid control setup software there was.

Bob

Collapse -
Tried that
by GoreRanger / January 17, 2006 11:20 AM PST
In reply to: Just one idea.

Yeah I assumed the same thing and initally just installed it and booted the system. But the SataRaid would not recognize then so I went ahead and formatted it. I am amazed at the limited info out there on this kind of issue. I would think replacing drives in Raid arrays happens all the time but I can't find any info on it or troubleshooting.

Collapse -
Good idea but wrong controller
by GoreRanger / January 17, 2006 11:57 AM PST
In reply to: Try

This mobo has two raid controllers on it. A 0 raid Intel controller and a 0+1 Silicon Image controller. The Silicon Image controller uses a program called SataRaid to manage its disks and arrays. Its that program that I can't get to recognize the new disk. I appreciate the interest you are showing. I welcome any feedback.

Collapse -
End of the road.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2006 3:45 AM PST

I can't identify your board so I can't find the exact steps.

However that first FAQ does show the replacement process is not intuitive. Maybe you can use that as a clue to what to do.

If not, time to hit the phone.

Bob

Collapse -
Not intuitive at all
by GoreRanger / January 18, 2006 4:47 AM PST
In reply to: End of the road.

You had the right board identified. The faq you linked was for the first sata controller on the board. The second one (silicon image) is not even referenced in their faqs and the manual provides only the barest info and no troubleshooting info at all. The raid has worked very well but its all for naught if you can't replace a drive. Sad

Collapse -
Maybe this is it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2006 4:50 AM PST
In reply to: Not intuitive at all

I've yet to see a RAID (chip based) that allows the RAID to extend to other make chips on the mainboard.

The picture I now see is that nothing is wrong.

Bob

Collapse -
Sorry you lost me
by GoreRanger / January 18, 2006 8:33 AM PST
In reply to: Maybe this is it.

The mobo has two raid chips as many do these days. Not sure why that would prevent the replacement of a drive on a raid array thats been working fine for two years.

Collapse -
What prevents it is a lack of docs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2006 9:03 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry you lost me

While I can note the usual issues, I've yet to find a raid solution where you have 2 make/models of raid chips and can span onto the other controller.

Having gone from the top of your post and with a misfire on finding the right FAQ, I can only point out what I've learned on other boards.

Bob

Collapse -
Hmmm
by GoreRanger / January 18, 2006 10:55 AM PST

I get the lack of documentation or walk through for troubleshooting the silicon image raid controller. But in terms of a two chip board both controllers have their separate sata connections so they aren't mixed. I am only using the silicon image connections and controller. Are you saying that the intel controller is somehow messing up the silicon image controller?

Collapse -
Let's look at RAID 0?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2006 11:16 AM PST
In reply to: Hmmm

In all the systems I've seen, NONE allow one to "extend" the RAID 0 array. All required destruction of the existing RAID 0 and then we created such anew with the drives that were on the RAID controller.

All could be as it should be if you have RAID 0.

RAID 5 on the other hand did offer ways to eject a drive and add a replacement. But that's not in this system.

Bob

Collapse -
But,
by GoreRanger / January 18, 2006 12:37 PM PST
In reply to: Let's look at RAID 0?

my array is 0+1. So why wouldn't that allow a replacement drive? The +1 means the 0 drives are mirrored. And from what I can see its one of the +1 drives that failed. So what is preventing me from adding a replacement?

Collapse -
Ancient reasons.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2006 9:02 PM PST
In reply to: But,

Even in 0+1 where you have a mirror of RAID 0 (the mirror is the +1), this is ancient technology where it was de rigeur to backup when the Raid 0 failed and the +1 mirrow was still operating. After that you would swap the drives around then reinitialise the array and restore from backup.

Only with the arrival of higher RAIDS (5 being notable) did we escape the backup, init, restore procedure.

You can research this on your own but I share from the time long ago in hopes to make it easier to swallow.

Bob

Collapse -
Wonder if
by VAPCMD / January 18, 2006 1:53 PM PST

you could GHOST one ?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?