The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Radiohead Failure...

So the buzz is the Radiohead "Experiment" failed.

The logic goes like this. Radiohead put their music out on a pay what you feel it's worth basis and said that they would also put it out in a regular CD later. Now it's later they are putting out the CD and they pulled the plug on the digital pay what you think part.

Thus it's a failure.

Why doesn't anyone think that maybe it's in the terms of the CD contract? That would make it no failure, Just business.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Radiohead Failure...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Radiohead Failure...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
First steps

In reply to: Radiohead Failure...

I wouldn't call that a failure. They had a huge number of downloads in just a few days. That's popularity. Then they learned some valuable lessons with the experiment that could be put in practice in the future. Finally, remember that the entire (or most of) revenue goes to the band, not a record label.

My theory is that people download ilegally for the *convenience*, not out of stinginess. The next experiment, IMO, would be to sell an album at full price, but via download in a very easy and convenient way, and gauge the reaction.

Collapse -
No, not a failure at all

They made a little less per album than their cut from the label would be, but they almost assuredly sold far more albums at that reduced price point, thus making more money for themselves on the first wave of consumers. Now, they sell the CD's for the hardcore fans, which is an expensive box set, with a huge markup, and a deal with a CD manufacturer that they worked out themselves, so it is probably a good one for them.

The fact that they decided to now stop the free downloads does not mean it is a failure, it is just that they are in "phase 2" of the marketing. The point is that they are in control of their own music, and will likely make as much or more on this album as on their previous ones. The buzz around the album due to the marketing concept has helped put them back in the news and garnered a lot of new fans (since the album really is great). I know I went and bought two of their earlier CD's after hearing In Rainbows, and I am now a fan.

But, ultimately, the model will probably not be a "pay what you want", but a "pay this little bit", which is less than iTunes would sell it for, or a CD would cost, but more than they would make per CD with a regular label (something like $3.00 for each CD sold). This first foray into the marketing was not meant to be "how we will do it forever", but "here, get used to this new way of buying directly from us".

I think that bands in the future will start selling direct, not from their own site exclusively, but through portal sites like iTunes, Rhapsody, etc. They just give the site a cut (much less than the label) and keep the rest. Marketing will be viral and social and quality will "bubble up" and can charge more.

Collapse -
I paid my 8 dollars for In Rainbows, but....

In reply to: No, not a failure at all

I am skeptical if relying on a pay if you want to model is really the way to go. I think its really going to have to be set amounts with no-DRM to really take off. I want to have faith that people will to do the right thing if they are given the chance, but clearly a lot of them are won't.

The argument that "DRM helps honest people stay honest" is BS. But maybe people need someone to set a fair price for them? Say 4 bucks an album?

Collapse -
How is it a failure?

They intentionally pulled the plug to build buzz. They also gave their album, so people, instead of paying on iTunes or some other service (which anyways gets halved and halved multiple times before the money reaches the artist) allowed them to buy directly from the artist. Now, they go with the record label, cut their promotional offer, and get publicity through both hype and the record label's advertising.

It's a Win/Win - not a failure.

Collapse -
Actually, they are still not going with a label

In reply to: How is it a failure?

All they are doing is reaching a deal with a CD distributor, they still have complete control and make all the profit.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.