Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Radio interview

by EdH / January 5, 2005 6:20 AM PST

On Monday I was interviewed on the internet "radio" show The Comic Zone. If you want to hear it go to:

http://www.metropoliscomics.com/comicShow.html
Click on Jan 3 and start with Session 1.
Opens in Windows Media Player.

Let me warn you, if you are not into comic books you may find this dreadfully boring. I am not exactly a riveting speaker. But if you just can't get enough of me here on SE and you can spare an hour that you will never get back again, give it a listen.

If you can't get through because of server problems just try it later or another day.

Thanx

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Radio interview
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Radio interview
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) And of course the server is down. Try again later.
by EdH / January 5, 2005 6:41 AM PST
In reply to: Radio interview
Collapse -
It worked just now for me ...
by Evie / January 5, 2005 6:50 AM PST

... I'll listen later.

WOW! You are a comic book illustrator! How neat Happy Where were you back in 1991 when I could have impressed an ex-boyfriend with knowing you Wink

Evie Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) By '91, almost out of the biz unfortunately.
by EdH / January 5, 2005 7:05 AM PST
Collapse -
Finally was able to get it
by MarciaB / January 5, 2005 9:57 AM PST

So cool!! You worked at Marvel and DC Comics!

and you met Stan Lee!!

WOW! Awesome work history there, EdH.

Do you have a place where some of your artwork is available to see?

Collapse -
Since you asked
by EdH / January 5, 2005 11:17 AM PST
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html

I dom't think this would violate anything since you have to dig a little before getting to the part where I sell stuff. And you can ignore that and go right into Covers and Sketches and find a bunch of stuff.

Enjoy.
Collapse -
Wow, some beautiful work, Ed.
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / January 5, 2005 11:35 AM PST
In reply to: Since you asked

If it's not too personal, why did you leave the biz?

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Thank you for your kind words
by EdH / January 5, 2005 12:17 PM PST

A mini-history:

The business kind of left me. There was a tremendous collectors' bubble that burst (surprising no one on the inside) in the early 90s. Stores were stuck with huge inventories and sales plummeted. Marvel went through all kinds of management chaos and went into Chapter 11 for a while.

A lot of people found themselves without work. I had a contract with DC and thought I was safe but they wouldn't renew and when it was up I was out of there. No one answered my calls.

Later as business improved somewhat both companies tossed me the occasional bone, usually in the form of merchandising/licensing work. I didn't mind that because it paid better, but of course it was anonymous.

There ia a whole new younger breed of artists now. The meltdown served to clear out a lot of dead wood. Perhaps I was some of that old timber myself. The movies have really saved the industry too. Many more people know Batman and Spider-man than have ever read their comics.

I moved on. Got a job with a publishing company that trained me in computer graphics--an education that would have cost a fortune if I had gone to school for it. I found that I really liked the computer stuff as much as the comics, so I've had two dream careers. The people are great too, same as in comics.

I still hear from fans and do some commissions. Every once in a while one or the other company will reprint something and I'll get a small royalty check. DC sends me a Christmas card every year too.

It's been interesting.

Collapse -
Ed, i'm curious
by jonah jones / January 5, 2005 7:44 PM PST

what do you think of the latest (for the western world at least) Japanes Anime style of "cartoons" (if they can be called that)...

Collapse -
Okay I guess
by EdH / January 5, 2005 8:00 PM PST
In reply to: Ed, i'm curious

Actually that style has been popular in Japan for ages. Japanese comic books are huge (lots of pages) and everyone in Japan reads them, even middle-class businessman types.

I am not into anime that much, although I like some of the animated cartoons, especially the 3D stuff. As with anything there is well-done anime and atrocious anime. It has definitely had an impact on American comics. I think the style is a bit overused myself.

My 11 year old son really likes that stuff and considers my kind of art old-fahioned and obsolete.

Collapse -
Double Wow!, Ed
by MarciaB / January 5, 2005 11:57 AM PST

That is some fantastic and impressive artwork.

One of my favorites is the one named "Vigil" at the bottom of this page:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batalog.html

Extremely cool! Thanks for sharing. I plan to show this to my son, Orion. He enjoys dabbling in some art, particularly anime. He's not too bad either, if I don't say so myself Wink He will appreciate your talent.

Collapse -
That's impressive Ed!
by David Evans / January 5, 2005 12:38 PM PST

BTW, I used up all your bandwidth, lol. That's what an error message said anyway.

DE

Collapse -
That happens with Geocities
by EdH / January 5, 2005 6:24 PM PST
In reply to: That's impressive Ed!

My website is a mess. Some of it's on my ISP's server and some it's on Geo. I'm cheap so I don't want to spring for "real" server space, although I did get a little more this year when my ISP had an attractive "pay in advance" offer. I really need to clean it up amd consolidate everything but I never have the time.

Collapse -
holy !@#@!@#@!
by jonah jones / January 5, 2005 7:41 PM PST
Collapse -
Didn't do that World's Finest
by EdH / January 5, 2005 8:12 PM PST
In reply to: holy !@#@!@#@!

Looks to me like Garcia Lopez and **** Giordano. I did do a couple of the other covers on that guy's site (and designed that WF logo too, come to think of it).

Silver Surfer-- I didn't do a lot of that either. Maybe a cover sketch here or there. Of course, my memory's not the best.

Collapse -
How very cool!
by Cindi Haynes / January 5, 2005 11:36 PM PST

Hi EdH,

Very nice work! My ex husband probably would kiss your feet, his whole family were HUGE comic book fans. (They may have paid for several items in your home...LOL)

I'm most impressed,

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
Cool Ed.......
by lylesg / January 5, 2005 10:08 AM PST

I would like to see what your illustrated take on the SE gang would look like. ha!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) nnnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
by jonah jones / January 5, 2005 8:34 PM PST
In reply to: Cool Ed.......
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?