PC Hardware forum

General discussion

radeon x700 pro/6600GT + emachines t2085 problems

I just bought the x700 pro a week ago, i had an fx5200 that worked fine but i wanted something better for battlefield 2. Installation went fine but a few hours later i couldnt get my computer to boot, i kept trying and from time to time it would come on but not often, got a new card and it worked for two days before i couldnt get it to boot again. returned it and got the 6600gt didnt even boot once. i now have a 9600xt that works fine but isnt the quality i was looking for. can anyone help explain to me possible reasons why the other two wouldnt work. the 6600gt was only agp 8x compatible so im assuming thats why that one didnt work but the x700 pro is 8x/4x compatible.
thanks for the help

emachines t2085
windsows xp sp2
amd athlon xp 2000+
via km266 motherboard
400 watt power supply
768MB ram
4X agp slot

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: radeon x700 pro/6600GT + emachines t2085 problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: radeon x700 pro/6600GT + emachines t2085 problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) did u remove drivers before each card installation?

In reply to: radeon x700 pro/6600GT + emachines t2085 problems

Collapse -
yup

In reply to: (NT) did u remove drivers before each card installation?

yea i did, i tried numerous things, i was told to try to update bios but i coudlnt find much help from emachines and wasnt sure if that would help. i tried removing ram and pci hardware etc
thanks

Collapse -
RE:

In reply to: yup

Could've been a bad card or something.

Collapse -
thats what i thought

In reply to: RE:

but i tired two x700 pros...the first one worked for a few hours the second worked for two days...the 6600gt didnt even boot once but i assume that was the 8x problem

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) no 8x is compatible with 4x slot, it'll just run slower

In reply to: thats what i thought

Collapse -
oh really so the 6600gt should have worked also?

In reply to: (NT) no 8x is compatible with 4x slot, it'll just run slower

i took it to the geeksquad at bestbuy...just because thats where i bought it and asssumed any exchanges would be easier there and they said that the 8x was the problem and gave me the 9600xt

Collapse -
The 8x is/was NOT the problem.

In reply to: oh really so the 6600gt should have worked also?

Both the Radeon x700Pro AGP and the Nvidia GeForce 6600GT AGP will work in a AGP 8x or 4x compliant computer. If in a 4x compliant computer it will run at 4x, at such a slight reduction of speed that you cannot tell.

Both the x700Pro and the 6600GT were originally designed for the PCI-Express x16 slots. Their AGP versions comes with a power connector since the AGP slot on AGP motherboards do not provide enough power to those graphics cards. Some retail boxed cards come with a dongle cable to make a power connection to the motherboard, and some are not furnished, where you have to go out and purchase one.

I'm not surprised that the 6600GT didn't work at all as it requires a minimum 300Watts of power supply and some cards specify 350 Watts. Your T2085 computer came with 250Watts and the x700Pro had to struggle to even work for a very short time. The 9600xt doesn't require a extra power cable connection, and apparently can get by with the 250Watts.

If you upgrade your power supply, you may be able to get the inexpensive ($36) THERMALTAKE 420W power supply that is shown here at Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Category.asp?Category=32
Not sure if it will fit your particular case without drilling new holes, but scan through the 293 owners reviews....I think I read where someone did install one on their emachine.

Sorry about more gloomy info, but Battlefield 2 is new and putting a crimp on minimum requirement, making it tough for older computers and video cards, more than any other game recently. I may even have to get a updated video card to play it. You may have some slight problems in play as your Athlon XP 2000+ is at 1.67GHz and the minimum requirements for the game is 1.7GHz.

Collapse -
re:

In reply to: The 8x is/was NOT the problem.

when the first x700 pro didnt work i went out and got a 400 watt power supply but that didnt help as it still didnt work and the second one only worked for a few days. My feeling, and its just a feeling, is that it has something to do with having to be connected to the power supply since those cards that have needed it havent worked and the others the fx5200 and 9600xt both work fine, but thats just an assumption.

Collapse -
Those particular powerful AGP cards

In reply to: re:

Yes, you must connect a cable (sometimes called a dongle) from the X700Pro AGP card and 6600GT AGP card for additional power. The PCI-Express versions of these cards with a PC motherboard that has a PCIe x16 slot do not require extra power.
What brand/model number 400W power supply did you get? Did it fit in your emachine T2085 without any modification to the case?

Collapse -
dynex

In reply to: Those particular powerful AGP cards

i got a Dynex 400 watt psu..the model number is dx-ps400w, yes it fit in fine with no modifications. the x700's came with the 'dongle' but the 6600 didnt, but i had a spare connector that reached it so it was still hooked up

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.