Computer Help forum

Question

Radeon HD 6870 Horizontal Black Lines Then Black Screen Afte

All,

I just bought a new hard drive and installed windows. Everything went fine with the installation. Windows downloaded an update for my Radeon HD 6870 automatically, and I restarted. After the restart, my welcome screen had horizontal black lines running across it (each line separate by maybe 3/4 of an inch). After logging, the screen went totally black after maybe 45 seconds, and I had to do a hard reset.

I started in safe mode and rolled back the driver update. When I restarted, everything was fine. I changed my update settings so that windows wouldn't download and install the driver automatically. I then manually downloaded the most recent AMD catalyst software suite and installed the latest driver for my card. I restarted and ran into the exact same problem: several horizontal lines running across my screen and a black screen shortly after logging in.

I'm not so sure this is just a buggy driver issue. A couple of notes: (i) when I roll back my drivers, the device manager doesn't seem to recognize my card; instead, it just "standard vga adapter" or something like that (when I update my drivers, device manager does show the card name... but of course everything else is screwed), (ii) the driver that windows installs automatically is different from the one I downloaded from the AMD website. The Windows download gives me Driver Version 8.850 while I downloaded version 15.20 on the website.

For what it's worth, I happened to have a Radeon HD 6850 lying around. I got it from a friend who upgraded about a year ago. I'm honestly not even sure if the card is any good. Anyway, I installed the card, but when I turned the computer on, my mobo beeped 5 times and I got no display. Fan on the card was definitely spinning. Google tells me that 5 beeps from my mobo indicates a video card issue, which of course makes sense. I reinstalled my 6870 and was able to boot up just fine with the standard vga drivers.

Note: The only other thing I've downloaded with the new hard drive is google chrome. So, we're dealing with what I hope is a very narrow universe of potential problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Radeon HD 6870 Horizontal Black Lines Then Black Screen Afte
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Radeon HD 6870 Horizontal Black Lines Then Black Screen Afte
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Problem isn't limited to only drivers downloaded by Windows

In reply to: Radeon HD 6870 Horizontal Black Lines Then Black Screen Afte

Thank you for the reply. I've turned off automatically installing recommended updates. But I get the same error when I manually downloaded other drivers for my card from AMD's website.

Collapse -
Then it's a hardware failure.

In reply to: Problem isn't limited to only drivers downloaded by Windows

While my bet is a driver issue, your reply moved it to a hard failure.

Post was last edited on June 22, 2016 9:49 AM PDT

Collapse -
Maybe bad PCI-E Port?

In reply to: Then it's a hardware failure.

Thanks. I can boot into safe mode after installing the drivers. Does that inform your suggestion at all?

Also, I talked to my friend who gave me the HD 6850, and he said he thinks that card works. As I noted, the mobo beeps 5 times when I install that card, and I get no display. Perhaps it's a bad PCI-E port? I'm at a total loss!

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
You're repeating what many know.

Don't take drivers from Microsoft when your drivers are working. Rollback that driver. Repeat using the driver that worked. Microsoft isn't in the PC hardware business yet unless you have a Surface.

Collapse -
Answer
Let's tackle this as if you are new to Windows.

There is another area that I find new to Windows and even seasoned owners not handle. It's the video settings.

To see if it's that, boot SAFE MODE and if the display works it's drivers or settings.

Collapse -
Able to boot into safe mode

In reply to: Let's tackle this as if you are new to Windows.

Thanks for the reply. I can boot into safe mode after installing the drivers. But is it possible that in safe mode it's running on the mobo graphic?

Collapse -
Again, the new to hardware issue?

In reply to: Able to boot into safe mode

If you plugged it into the onboard video output? But I can't see where you wrote that.

There are times when you find a motherboard that won't work with some cards and plenty of folk with bad cards that they want it to not be a bad card and time is lost on these.

As to safe mode that's a start but I didn't read where you set the video mode while in safe mode to something well inside your display's capabilities.

Collapse -
Can boot into safe mode plugged into card

In reply to: Again, the new to hardware issue?

I am able to boot into safe mode with my hdmi cable plugged into the card after downloading new drivers. In safe mode, device manager recognizes my card, properly shows the driver I just installed, and says the device is working properly.

Collapse -
I fear I can't help you.

In reply to: Can boot into safe mode plugged into card

I see I noted setting video mode in safe mode and video settings a few times. It appears this doesn't help so I think it's time for a repair counter.

Collapse -
I have the same problem

In reply to: I fear I can't help you.

I know this is an old post but if anyone has an answer I have run into the same problem. This is on a computer I have had for years and the mother board and graphics worked just fine together for years.

Collapse -
Since you didn't change drivers

In reply to: I have the same problem

This moves this to a likely hardware failure. Try another video card (cheaper than a repair counter.)

Collapse -
Thanks for reply

In reply to: Since you didn't change drivers

I was afraid of that.

Collapse -
Old stuff

In reply to: I have the same problem

If you have winupd set to auto install it might have fed you a new driver.

Check your updates to see if a graphics driver shows.

Collapse -
Thanks for reply

In reply to: Old stuff

I have installed the same driver that worked before. I have new one and previous ones from that. They all return the same result and once I remove driver the lines go away. Can do everything but play games.

Collapse -
I can give a quick explainer for that.

In reply to: Thanks for reply

The native Windows driver is unlikely to tap all the video card's memory or features so it adds to the list of why I think this is a hardware failure.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.