General discussion

Radeon card killing my computer :(

Anyone have any idea why my computer is lagging like *beep* when I put in the new videocard I bought to watch HD movies?? The processor is working at maximum speed and it takes like a minute to open a window. The problem seem hardware related since the system is lagging heavily even during windows reinstallation and startup. I have tried with the correct drivers and also disabled the preexisting onboard ATI graphics (RS480 chipset) via BIOS.

My computer is: http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/1210?5_na/12105_na.html

Or in short...

Processor: AMD Athlon 64, 1800 MHz (9 x 200) 3000+ (alias Venice S939)
Memory: DDR PC3200 400MHz (4 GB installed)
Motherboard: MSI MS-7050
Power: 400 W (It was 250 at first but I have changed the SFF model to a towermodel with 400W)

Videocard is: Sapphire Radeon HD 4350 512MB DDR2 connected via PCIe x16

Glad for any help I can get!!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Radeon card killing my computer :(
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Radeon card killing my computer :(
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I had that card

On a single core AMD CPU and the drivers if you look do run the CPU at full tilt.

I returned it for a Nvidia 9500. Much better.
Bob

- Collapse -
Just for completion.

The ATI driver soaks the CPU regardless of 32 bit or 64 bit versions of the Windows 7 OS.

It also happened in XP 32 BIT so the lesson was simple. For the single core machines and this card you want to swap it for the Nvidia.

I think you're lucky I had this setup and solved it.
Bob

- Collapse -
Hey

Thanks for the reply! I have a few options. I might try with another card like you say but many ppl think that it might be my 400 W power supply that is the problem. They recommend at least 550 W for these cards. Also can it really be the drivers when its the same thing even during windows reinstallation? The processor runs at 100 % constantly when the card is in with or without drivers

- Collapse -
No it is not the power supply.

As to the 100% CPU without the card, you should find out why.

- Collapse -
no

Not 100% without the card....with or without drivers

- Collapse -
Let me share this again.

I have two single core AMD 64 machines (one is a Sempron 1.8GHz, the other a 2.0GHz 64 socket 939.) I found with the few ATI cards I had (3) that all would hit 100% on the CPU. The fix was to move to the Nvidia card. Since these are HTPC machines I didn't need more than a Nvidia 9500.

Bob

- Collapse -
First of all, you should have installed Win.7 x86(32bit)

onto that aging machine.

You have the exact/same single core processor than my own archived machine and, the same 32bit only DDR1 PC3200 400Mhz RAM cards as well. And, mine could have never been fitted with a PCIe x16 expansion slot since it has a 8x AGP type on it.

HP seems to have made a revision on that type of MSI Mainboard. Could no longer access its specs page. See if you can flash an even newer Bios for it.

That is the very same video/graphics card that I currently use in my Acer Dual Core 2.5Mhz machine. You will, rather have to downsize that video/graphics card or, get yourself a newer mainboard with a better processor and RAM cards already installed onto it.

Good Luck!

- Collapse -
Hey

thanks for the answer. I think you are probably right the machine is too old to handle these cards. Apparently I have the latest BIOS so that's no option. Do you have any suggestion for vidcard that you think could work? I mean I must be able to have something better then the crappy onboard graphics in this machine Happy?

- Collapse -
well is cooler the problem

good for my growing graphics cards are becoming warmer, so it is better to invest some more in your heat so you're not going to have more problems

CNET Forums

Forum Info