Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Racism alive and well in Pennsylvania

'The postcard features a photo of a black woman who resemble Aunt Jemima. The text reads, ?Yessum, Mr. Harry (Forbes). I?m supposed ta votes for you and Mr. Rich (Caridi). Then Iz supposed to vote for Mr. Greg (Chelak) and Mr. Ray (Tonkin) too. I?ll be good. I?m not like the rest. I don?t want you or the Sheriff mad at me.?'

With all the talk of the Jena 6 and how the South is still cursed with its racism, I just wanted to provide an example showing that the South is not alone, especially since this seems worse to me.

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070910/NEWS/70910019/-1/NEWS01

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Racism alive and well in Pennsylvania
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Racism alive and well in Pennsylvania
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dirty, tasteless, and SOP for political campaigns

In reply to: Racism alive and well in Pennsylvania

I remember a postcard we received in WV during the last presidential elections saying that a particular democratic candidate was godless and that voting for him would result in having our bibles taken away. The question about such tactics isn't that of racism or secularism versus religion... but who came up with the idea as being a good one, and who is validating it when they see it.

I remember radio campaigns in Maryland during the last election, reminding black voters that the GOP was the party of Abraham Lincoln and that slavery in america would still be an issue without the GOP. Certainly true... and dinosaurs would still walk the earth if it wasn't for space rocks, so lets vote for meteorites too!

Pointing ads like these out, and ridiculing them in the light of day, is important. Such political ads are generated by the ignorant, and only accepted as relevant by the ignorant. Too bad that some actually are swayed by them.

Collapse -
whats the point of the ad?

It would seem to be a Democratic political stunt before anything a Republican would do to garner votes. It's purpose is obviously to inflame, not to appeal to voters. Looks like some reverse psychology attempt by the Democrats who think it will push black votes their way. And what's wrong with Aunt Jemima?! She's always been a beloved icon on food items in the South for years. The food I remember her most on was the syrup bottle.

Collapse -
How can this be?

I thought it was the Republicans who thought of blacks in terms of Aunt Jemima, Amos and Andy...

Collapse -
Sometimes history is selective...

In reply to: How can this be?

Sometimes "history" is selective. Take Jesse Owens. He won an unprecedented 4 gold medals in the 1936 Berlin Olympics. Many people have seen accounts that say that Hitler snubbed him and stormed out of the stadium.
However, in his autobiography The Jesse Owens Story (1970) Owens stated "When I passed the Chancellor he arose, waved his hand at me, and I waved back at him..." However, Owens was snubbed later when he returned to the U.S., President Roosevelt refused to meet with him.

Collapse -
As well, while a premier track athlete

In reply to: Sometimes history is selective...

in college, he was not allowed to live or eat with his teammates while away at meets...or so it's told. He was allowed such in Germany during the Olympic games. Of course those who run the games got to set the standards and make the rules even if Adolph didn't care for them. Jesse was actually J.C Owens and Jesse was said to be a mispronunciation that stuck when his southern accent wasn't understood in Ohio where the family had moved.

Collapse -
(NT) Let's not discuss Willie Horton, eh Paul?

In reply to: How can this be?

Collapse -
I'll bet...

In reply to: Let's not discuss Willie Horton, eh Paul?

I'll bet that you wish that people would forget about Ross Barnett, Orval Faubus, Lester Maddox, or George Wallace, but many people haven't.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.