Phones forum

General discussion

R. Proffit

by bigboy73 / January 24, 2009 6:01 AM PST

What programs have you written for Palm OS , any of them good?

bigboy73

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: R. Proffit
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: R. Proffit
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Industrial stuff.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2009 11:11 PM PST
In reply to: R. Proffit

Let's say you have a Binford 10000. My application would be taylor'd for that device to set spindle speed and feed rates.

No games. Nothing for the general public except at http://www.geocities.com/palmpass/index.html

Those are results of chats where other programmers needed an example to do this or that. Source code is there so we could discuss how to do various things on the PalmOS.
Bob

Collapse -
Thats cool
by bigboy73 / January 25, 2009 3:40 AM PST
In reply to: Industrial stuff.

I didn't know and you seem to know alot, is theuir a easy way to start righting app sfor palm OS, do you still do it or have you given up.

bigboy73

Collapse -
Why do you ask?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2009 3:56 AM PST
In reply to: Thats cool

As long as the companies pay me I write new applications and update the old ones. Call me a capitalist and not a capitualist.

"is theuir a easy way to start righting app sfor palm OS"

The person who wants to do that would go to Palm.com and click on the developer's link and dive in. What other way is there?
Bob

Collapse -
thanks
by bigboy73 / January 25, 2009 5:31 AM PST
In reply to: Why do you ask?

I have some design plans for hardware and software i"ve made for the past year. You seem to have been in the Palm community for awhile, or from the beginning if i remember right. Could I send them to you and you can see what you think

bigboy73

Collapse -
Why not just make a web page about them?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2009 11:06 AM PST
In reply to: thanks

The old geocities site I shared is what I use to exchange ideas.
Bob

Collapse -
I think I may just send them
by bigboy73 / January 25, 2009 12:59 PM PST

I think I might just send them to Palm and see if they like them and want to use htem, or just laugh in my face. i'm guessing they won't even look at them but hey it's worth a shot I guess, and I'm gonna try and start making Palm OS apps, and I'm gonna try for a really nice racing/ GTA game to prove it can be done, if you want to help I'm sure you can teach me some stuff that would help, that is if you have spare time.

bigboy73

Collapse -
Let me share that Palm
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2009 11:39 PM PST

Has moved off the PalmOS as we know it. I might not start another PalmOS application today. In fact I am working on WM 5.0 and up (windows mobile) versions of our old applications because we are fast approaching the 10 year mark since we first started this application.

We need an exit plan and while I would have loved to moved to the iPhone the brutal reality is that cost wise we can get on WM for not much.

Think over your project and look at Palm's new WEBOS.
Bob

Collapse -
Their just being lazy
by bigboy73 / January 26, 2009 6:25 AM PST
In reply to: Let me share that Palm

Palm knows they need to update there PDA line, they are just not willing to. I personally think they owe us a updated lifedrive after the disater of the first. their obviously a market for PDA's, just look at the Itouch. How many questions have you and me answered on here asking about the Itouch vs. a PDA (you usually say Ipod touch, I say PDA). If Palm spent three weeks coding Palm OS 5.4.9 or finishd colbalt(since it was almost done) they could have a decent OS to put on a updated Lifedrive to compete with the Itouch, update the TX for business users, and update the Z22 to be more like a Zire 31(cheap but you have MP3 capabilites) That right their would yeild a great income for them also allowing the users of their PDAs for the last four years to update since a lot of people don't want a smartphone, obviously or the PDA sales would be non exsistant. I'm just saying they caould do it and release them in the summer or during OCtober before christmas and that would be agreat hit. I mean tell me that this ouldn't kill an Ipod touch

4" 320 x 480 screeb
2gb of flash memory(OS and apps on here for speed)
30gb hardrive
Pocket tunes deluxe
3 Megapixel camera
Built in Wifi and bluetooth(with support for Bluetooth headphones)
2800 mah battery(for long playback on media files, and 12 hour run tiem)
a scalable 416mhz Xscale 9 scales automatically between 100 and 416)

Their you go I touch killer, you can actually bring this in a meeting rooma at work and not get fired.

Collapse -
Palm Web OS is Phone based
by bigboy73 / January 26, 2009 6:32 AM PST
In reply to: Their just being lazy

I know that smartphones are taking over, but PAlm is already screwed by taking four years to develop and OS that I have heard ucks campard to windows mobile. And the device i listed above could run either Windows mobile or a updated Palm OS, even Garnet, they jut need to make at least one last contribution to the market they started and have hung their hats on for the last ten years, go out with a bang, not a copy cat device and a failed do it all.

bigboy73

Collapse -
What I do is not very 'consumery'
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2009 7:33 AM PST
In reply to: Their just being lazy

We are setting spindle feeds, torque levels and other things. The smallest app we have is 5 kilobytes on the PalmOS, the largest is 30KB and 80KB if you count the one app with bitmaps (our pretty application.)

There are thousands of such applications out there that get by with 2 by 16 line LCD displays in a box so when I went with the PalmOS it was strictly to get out of the basement.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?