Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

R.A.I.D. Installation

by opiej75 / September 8, 2007 7:36 PM PDT

I have been trying to install a RAID setup and I can't get past the windows installation. I have set up the BIOS correctly and I've tried using 2 different RAID floppys and still won't setup.
I start the windows installation and at the F6 prompt I press the F6, when it asks for the drivers I press S and first load the Nvidia RAID driver and then again I load the Nvidia storage driver as per instructions and the installation goes until it starts the windows set up and stops right there. If I only load the Nvidia Raid driver then the set will start. The second floppy I tried using was for SATARAID floppy. Same result If I load the Nvidia SATA storage driver then It stops at Windows installation setup. I have tried installing a bootable setup and a nonbootable with no luck.

MSI motherboard K8N Neo V2 with Nvidia Nforce 3 250 Chipset
AMD Sempron 64 2800 CPU
2gb DDR SDRAM RAM
Sony DVD/CD RW DRU170C
2-160 SATA Maxtor Hard Drives
1-160 Ultra ATA Hard Drive

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: R.A.I.D. Installation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: R.A.I.D. Installation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dumb question
by Steven Haninger / September 8, 2007 7:43 PM PDT
In reply to: R.A.I.D. Installation

Did you first configure and build the RAID drives in their BIOS utility? You should be showing a RAID set as you boot. As well, some RAID capable MBs will allow those ports to be used as standard drive ports so you need to make sure they're selected to be used as RAID. I've had to go so far as to install XP on a single drive, load the RAID drivers afterwards, detect the RAID array, and then clone the installation onto that array. It's a pain but can be done.

Collapse -
Oops, bad choice of title
by Steven Haninger / September 9, 2007 2:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Dumb question

I meant my question was dumb and not yours. I hate to ask such when they should be a given....sort of like asking if a device is plugged in. Sorry if it was taken the wrong way.

Collapse -
R.A.I.D. Installation
by opiej75 / September 12, 2007 2:48 PM PDT

I have tried everything I could think of and I still can't get the drivers to load. I ordered a Rosewill RC-209 PCI adapter card and will proceed with this approch. It has a Silcon chip set which seems to be alot better than The Nvidia system I have on my mobo.
If there is good or bad results I'll post back. Thank you all for your help. MJ

Collapse -
R.A.I.D. Installation
by opiej75 / September 9, 2007 5:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Dumb question

Regarding correct BIOS configuration, all hard drives being corectly enabled I still can't seem to get past the O.S installation. If I get Windows installed correctly then it halts after rebooting at "checking DMA pool data" or it won't boot from the due to not finding the hard drive. Also acording to Nvidia, they say to have the CD-ROM as the primary master and have my IDE drives in the secondary as a Master/Slave setting and to use the SATA drives only in a 0+1 RAID.
Still trying!

Windows XP Pro Sp2
MSI motherboard K8N Neo V2 with Nvidia Nforce 3 250 Chipset
AMD Sempron 64 2800 CPU
2gb DDR SDRAM RAM
Sony DVD/CD RW DRU170C
2-160 SATA Maxtor Hard Drives
2-30gb WDI IDE hard drives

Collapse -
If you research "checking DMA pool data" you find...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2007 5:47 AM PDT

It's most often a failing IDE device/drive or a bum cable. There was one I ran across where the owner thought the power supply was big enough. It wasn't.

Bob

Collapse -
R.A.I.D. Installation
by opiej75 / September 19, 2007 5:22 PM PDT

Well here's the update on my RAID setup. I purchased a Rosewill RC-209 PCI RAID adapter and it loaded up the first time with no problems at all. It uses Silcon chipset. I think I might have a problem with the Nvidia chipset on my board or maybe I still haven't got the right drivers for the XP OS install.
New question; I currently using a RAID0 (striping) and want to know if it's OK to do a Defrag?

Collapse -
Interesting question
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 19, 2007 6:21 PM PDT

But I wonder why you ask. I also have a RAID 0 setup and have defragged with no problem.

Is there some specific that you are aware of that suggests defragging a RAID 0 setup may be incorrect?

I have to say that I wish I had not gone for the RAID 0 setup now. I didn't set it up myself, this is a Dell machine and it's what I ordered. But for the minor speed advantage I get with disk read/write, I feel I lose with backup safety and also with access in an emergency. For example I am unable to use a Knoppix Live CD on my system to interrogate the drives. Knoppix works ok direct from the CD but it cannot read the hard disks, and so if my OS crashes I have no means of extracting files in an emergency. Knoppix reads my external drive perfectly well.

I have yet to find a Linux distro that will do this, so I backup often.

Mark

Collapse -
R.A.I.D. Installation
by opiej75 / September 19, 2007 7:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Interesting question

This is the first RAID setup I've ever used. I don't want to disrupt it and that is why I'm concerned with Defraging. I didn't know what to expect due to having 2 HD's linked as one. I've ordered another HD to match my current drives and will set up a RAID5. Then I'll have a better safety margin. Thanks for any and all advice I receive regarding this subject.

Collapse -
You'll be fine.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 19, 2007 7:34 PM PDT

Just remember that if one of the RAID 0 disks fail, you lose everything, so create a backup regime to backup your important, can't lose personal files like documents, videos, music, photos, etc regularly.

Windows XP handles RAID without problems and error checking, (the old ChkDsk on previous Windows versions), and Defragmenting works well.

Error checking and Defragmenting is not dependent on the hard disk setup. They both just involve themselves with files and see the hard disk setup as one disk.

Mark

Collapse -
Defragging a RAID setup should be okay.
by SerengetiValley / September 19, 2007 10:49 PM PDT

If your physical elements in the RAID have no hardware problems (such as a bad controller, bad clusters on the drives themselves etc), defragging a RAID setup should be okay. Even enabling an automatic defragger on the RAID should not be a problem. AFAIK (please correct if erroneous), none of the applications that run in Windows write directly to the individual disks in the RAID, instead, it passes the I/O onto Windows which then passes it on to the RAID software/hardware controller which finally does the actual writing. So, since Windows itself sees the RAID as a single logical volume, it can also get affected by fragmentation as in other 'single' volume.

That said, RAID 0 are highly risky affairs since with two non-redundant drives, you are basically doubling the chances of a drive failure. It's best that you make regular and thorough backups of the data if it's of any importance to you. Or atleast mirror it in a 0+1 setup. Personally I'd go for redundancy over the bit of extra speed that you get (the newer 16 or 32 MB cache HDDs are blazing fast by themselves anyway).

Collapse -
Win XP Installation errors w/ K8N Neo v2.0
by AnOmniPC / September 13, 2007 1:08 AM PDT

R.A.I.D. not needed and F6 driver loading allows Win Xp to finish setup but will not boot to desktop due to auto rebooting!
nLite driver integration has failed too!

Any help out there?

Collapse -
What does, "RAID not needed" mean?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 13, 2007 7:59 PM PDT

How is that relevant to this discussion?

If you have a problem with installing Windows and you are not using a RAID setup or have no problems with your RAID setup, then I suggest you start a new discussion.

Don't forget the information asked for in red above each posting box.

Mark

Collapse -
Maxtor
by SerengetiValley / September 19, 2007 10:52 PM PDT

Sorry for the second post. Looks like you cant edit a post once submitted.

Looks like you have 2 Maxtors in the RAID.
I'd be really wary: Maxtors are the least reliable drives around from the last 2-3 years. If you can return those and get Seagates/Hitachis/WDs, that would be advisable.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!