Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Quote of the Week

i reckon this is spot on!

'I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.'
Thomas Jefferson 1802

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Quote of the Week
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Quote of the Week
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) What week was that???

In reply to: Quote of the Week

Collapse -
Do you consider the Federal Reserve a private bank?

Not quite. I am not sure what the relevance of that quote is.

Collapse -
i'm sure that if Jeferson had said that 100 yrs later

In reply to: Do you consider the Federal Reserve a private bank?

he might have left out the word private.....

Collapse -
The quote is about a distinction between...

In reply to: i'm sure that if Jeferson had said that 100 yrs later

private and government banks, so I doubt it.

However there seems to be some indication that it is not something he said anyway. Seems it may be a at least partly fake.

http://wiki.monticello.org/mediawiki/index.php/Private_Banks_(Quotation)

The first part of the quotation ("If...
conquered") has not been found anywhere in Thomas Jefferson's writings

The second part of the quotation ("I believe
.. standing armies...") may well be a paraphrase of a statement Jefferson made in a letter to John Taylor in 1816

The third part of this quotation ("The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs") has not been found in any of Jefferson's writings. In fact, he said something rather different in 1813: "The States should be applied to, to transfer the right of issuing circulating paper to Congress exclusively, in perpetuum, if possible..."

Collapse -
*sigh* who am i to argue

In reply to: The quote is about a distinction between...

with Google

"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. Already they have raised up a moneyed aristocracy that has set the government at defiance. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."

Collapse -
?? Google??

In reply to: *sigh* who am i to argue

That's not what that link is.

Did you read it?

Do you know what "spurious" means?

Collapse -
(NT) No he didn't No he doesn't. Enough of this.

In reply to: ?? Google??

Collapse -
What are you talking about?

In reply to: No he didn't No he doesn't. Enough of this.

Pretty clear Jefferson never wrote that. What's the big deal?

Collapse -
according to google, he did!

In reply to: What are you talking about?

or are you referring to Jefferson Airplane?

sheesh!!

Collapse -
Google is a Search Engine..

In reply to: according to google, he did!

it is not an authority on anything. Just because it is listed on Google means nothing at all. I really think the site that has actual documentation and research trumps Google.

Instead of being snarky, why don't you do a little reading and thinking?

Collapse -
and if the search engine

In reply to: Google is a Search Engine..

returns results you don't like?

Collapse -
Wow! That made no sense!

In reply to: and if the search engine

One of the results it returns is a website that very clearly and convincingly shows that Jefferson never said that.

Got ANY evidence to the contrary?

Collapse -
yup, here

In reply to: Wow! That made no sense!

"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. Already they have raised up a moneyed aristocracy that has set the government at defiance. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."

now you can see why i said "and if you don't like the results............."

Collapse -
According to Google....

In reply to: according to google, he did!

Collapse -
A good read

Collapse -
By and large, Ed, the Fed IS a private bank!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_reserve_bank

The short version: The Fed represents private banks and acts as a private entity, while subject to government oversight and regulation. Government can, therefore, dictate broad guidelines as to the Fed's mission. In other words, the Fed works just like Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

There. Does that make you feel better?
Collapse -
That's where I started...

In reply to: By and large, Ed, the Fed IS a private bank!

It's a matter of interpretation:

"The Federal Reserve System (also the Federal Reserve; informally The Fed) is the central banking system of the United States. Created in 1913 by the enactment of the Federal Reserve Act, it is a quasi-public (government entity with private components) banking system..."

That says to me that by and large it is not a private bank. A government bank with some features of a private bank.

Collapse -
Not really.

In reply to: By and large, Ed, the Fed IS a private bank!

It's chairman is appointed by the President, and needs to be confirmed by the Senate. Its powers are granted by Congress and enforced by the courts. It does not accept deposits, or make loans to individuals. So, no, it is not really a private bank.

Collapse -
Quotes of Thomas Jefferson

Collapse -
Yes, that is more accurate...

In reply to: Quotes of Thomas Jefferson

"And I sincerely believe, with you, that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies; and that the principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale."

As I said, This quotation is at least partly spurious;
All I was trying to say. Don't know what the problem was.
Collapse -
He most surely got this one wrong

In reply to: Quotes of Thomas Jefferson

"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine."

That 51% need has been adjusted downward considerably.
Collapse -
You do know that private banks do NOT control

currency in the US don't you? Or, perhaps you are referring to how banks work in Israel or Europe?

Collapse -
I also wonder...

In reply to: You do know that private banks do NOT control

I also wonder if he is aware that in the past in the U.S., private banks issued their own currency. At least it resulted in field of collectibles today. Unfortunately, sometimes some examples can get quite expensive. If I ever get rich, I'll seek out a 1850's Bank of Louisiana $10 bill- nicknamed a "Dixie" due to the French word for ten (dix) prominently printed on the reverse. Now, there's a spiffy-keen collectible. Expensive, though.

Collapse -
I am wondering why this quote is "spot on".

I know that the United States does not presently have a problem with its currency. Therefore, you must be applying Jefferson to another country. Perhaps you could tell us what country you had in mind?

Collapse -
Hmmmmmm, I guess it's no so spot on, and will

In reply to: I am wondering why this quote is "spot on".

remain a mystery.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!