Windows Vista forum

General discussion

QUICKTIME: vista changes to "basic color scheme"

by sms4001 / June 16, 2007 11:54 AM PDT

So everytime i open quicktime either on its on own or when a video loads in firefox vista always goes to the basic color scheme. I tried installing quicktime alternative and even that didn't work! has anyone else had this happen?

my main problem is in firefox when it loads a .mov file it uses the quicktime plugin so it pops up everytime i go to a website with a .mov file in it. has anyone found a plugin for firefox that fixes this?
PICTURE:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/Sms4001/quicktimevista.jpg

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: QUICKTIME: vista changes to "basic color scheme"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: QUICKTIME: vista changes to "basic color scheme"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tell us about your computer...
by John.Wilkinson / June 16, 2007 12:22 PM PDT

If your computer is only marginally equipped to run Aero and you launch a video the system resources may be transferred to it, limiting what can be infused into Windows' graphics and forcing Aero to temporarilly disable itself. Tell us about your processor, RAM, and most importantly, your graphics card. It could be something else, but that's where I'd start looking.

Let us know.
John

Collapse -
i know its not my computer
by sms4001 / June 16, 2007 1:26 PM PDT

I have 2 gigs of ram a 2.93 intel extreme. and a 8800gtx It seems to only be with quicktime.. apparently it hates vista.

Collapse -
Quicktime Issue?
by soldano / June 16, 2007 10:13 PM PDT

As much as i loath this O/S I must work with it no matter how half baked and slow it may be.

However, getting back to your issue with quicktime it seems as though your hardware is plenty good for the OS so that's not it. I have tried replecating this on my system and i can't seem to get it do a screen downgrade like you're experiencing. I have the latest nVidia drivers loaded for 8800GTS card and the latest quicktime/itunes loaded. I also running direct x 9c. It also does that lame 3d flip thing too.

Vista has bucket full of shoddy peices, itunes and vista, however are not one of them.

Stay Smooth

Collapse -
Full Screen Mode
by kpo6969 / June 17, 2007 4:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Quicktime Issue?

is when Aero turns off. Regular mode it doesn't (for me). ???

Collapse -
ok Very Simple
by davmcn / June 29, 2007 1:54 PM PDT

ok the reason it is doing this is cause one of the programs your using is Not Vista Compatible...so it turns off Aero. You need to get a updated version of Quicktime. they do have a vista Compatible version

Hope This Helped
Dave

Collapse -
Well...No, Quicktime NOT Fully Vista Compatible Yet...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 29, 2007 2:02 PM PDT
In reply to: ok Very Simple

See the link below for the most recent QT 7.1.6 which indicates W2000 and XP only.. IN addition, see the link toward the bottom of the page which is requesting feedback regarding those who are using WT 7.1.6 on Vista..

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

In addition, here's a link to the System Requirements for QT.. You'll note that Vista is NOT there:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/player/specs.html

Eventually they will get a compatible version of QT, but so far, it's all experimental.. Some fine that it works great on their Vista machines.. Others aren't having such good luck.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Ok Well i have the updated version of Quicktime and it's com
by davmcn / June 30, 2007 4:08 PM PDT

compatible with vista....so there is my point!

Collapse -
Nope, It 'Works' On Your Vista Computer...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 1, 2007 2:09 PM PDT

..for the things YOU want it to do.. It's not truly "compatible" till the Apple/Quicktime folks say it is. (And even then, it may have issues for some computers.) And so far, the company has not indicated that it's Vista compatible. And it's made apparent by reading the first link in this post.

Apple will test it for all supported file types and under all use conditions and when they're ready, probably with a new version number, they'll release their approval..

If it works on your machine, great. In fact, tell Apple about it.. There's a link for reporting such issues, or non-issues, in the link I provided earlier.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
My advice..
by Spartan_458 / July 1, 2007 4:17 AM PDT

...don't use quicktime!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!