Mac Applications forum

General discussion

QuickTime Pro export crash

by Pete / December 13, 2008 4:08 AM PST

I have QTPro 7.5.5 (249.13) with fully updated Leopard on an iMac 24, 2.4Ghz, 4G memory.

Trying to convert a .mov file to .wmv using either flip4mac or perian or any other plugin. In any configuration QT crashes no matter what conversion type I'm using. A little rectangular white window appears with only the orange dot visible and within seconds I get the beach ball running and have to Force Quit QT. Looked all over the internet to no avail - except lots of complaints regarding conversion in QT with no real solutions being offered. Emptied cash and trashed prefs file all to no avail. Is this a QT bug in 7.5.5 although I haven't heard anything on the Apple site?

Any suggestions or comments or others with the same issue?

Thanks, Pete.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: QuickTime Pro export crash
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: QuickTime Pro export crash
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
.wmv
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 13, 2008 10:47 PM PST

I don't think there is a free way to convert .mov to .wmv since MS owns the rights to .wmv and likes to keep it in check.

The Flip4Mac people have a convertor, but it's not free. The free version of F4M does not allow exporting to .wmv

Not sure about Perian though, but it is designed to view different formats and not save them.

Sorry it's not much help. Get the PC people to install qt and you have it made. Happy

P

Collapse -
.wmv
by Pete / December 14, 2008 2:23 AM PST
In reply to: .wmv

Yeah mrmacfixit, thanks for your reply. Indeed the free versions don't allow for conversion of .mov to .wmv, but I also tried an old version of PopwireWMV-9Export - now absorbed by Telestream. However... the problem is not so much whether the plugins allow conversion or not, but the fact that QT 7.5.5 crashes with any type of conversion that I've tried. Like I mentioned before, my system runs pretty well maintained and I dumped the cache and prefs and reinstalled QT, took out plugins and switched to different combinations and the bloody thing still keeps crashing Happy Therefore my question if it could be attributed to QT 7.5.5 being buggy in that respect. Otherwise any type of playback runs without any problem whatsoever. It's awfully quiet on the official Apple front regarding this quirk. I can't imagine them committing foul play with their own widespread software in order to boost their more professional Final Cut stuff which is a bit overkill to show a PC friend a .mov in wmv Happy

As to them installing QT, yeah right, say no more! Happy
Btw, most of the crashing complaints I checked on the internet was by PC owners who seemed quite knowledgeable about what they were doing and it wasn't limited to conversion alone. So I don't want to send my PC-ers into that same alley Happy

Anyway, thanks for your reply, I've been seeing you helping out people on forums for a long time and your doing a great job.
Thanks again,

Pete.

Collapse -
Thanks, and
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 14, 2008 5:28 AM PST

I'm sorry I didn't find an answer for you.

Remember, those that have iTunes installed, also have QT installed

Just a thought

P

Collapse -
QT Pro
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 14, 2008 5:57 AM PST

I've just been messing around with QT and have exported 6 files in different formats without a problem.

I was using Perian, just downloaded it, and also have F4M free version installed.

No problems with exporting.

Guess you have a corruption in QT somewhere. Try uninstalling it, everything, and reinstall. Before you get too drastic with it, just try another download and install of 7.5.5
Worth a try

P

Collapse -
Ooops
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 14, 2008 6:08 AM PST

just went to listen to the WMV that I made and it had NO audio!!

Seems there is no such thing as a free lunch afterall.

Good Luck

P

Collapse -
wmv
by Pete / December 14, 2008 7:11 AM PST
In reply to: Ooops

OK, I'll try a new install of QT and every plugin and see how that go's, I'll post the outcome here after I get there.

Thanks for checking!

Pete.

Collapse -
QuickTime Pro export crash
by Pete / December 22, 2008 9:01 PM PST
In reply to: Ooops

So, I chucked out the whole Quicktime array, wanting to install everything fresh and probably made the mistake of restarting (you know, just to be sure it's not active anymore:-) and the bloody thing kept showing the spinning wheel at startup. Inserting the Installation DVD and trying to restart from there was to no avail. Eventually I managed to copy the last properly backed up system folder from my external backup in Time Machine by hand back into my iMac via my MacBook Pro in Target mode.

It actually ran better afterwards Happy but after reinstalling QuickTime it's still crashing with any type of conversion.

Guess I'll leave it for now and let time heal my reinstall wounds Happy

Cheers,

Pete.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!