Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Quicktime Issue

by sonni56 / September 14, 2008 4:46 AM PDT

I installed quicktime trying to get a video to work for an online class. However, it didn't work so I installed it again thinking it didn't take the first time. The video still wouldn't work. So now I have quicktime installed twice and would like to remove them if it's not going to work, isn't it stuff like this that slows down the PC? When I find it I only get the option to delete not uninstall.How do I uninstall these?

And if anyone knows why Quicktime won't work on my computer could you tell me if I can make it work somehow? I have a windows xp home edition about 5 years old, 2600+ processor,512MB,80GB, HP Pavilion 525C(hope this is the info you need) Worse yet, I'm a clueless newbie who don't know much of anything. I would like to get quicktime to work, but if I can't to get rid of both installs. I get a message that says something about needing xpsp2, whatever that means. Thanks to whoever knows and can help.
Sonni56

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Quicktime Issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Quicktime Issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: quicktime
by Kees Bakker / September 14, 2008 4:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Quicktime Issue

Uninstalling:
should be possible from Control Panel>Add/Remove software. You'll only find one occurrence, but that's OK. Removing, deleting and uninstalling is all the same.

SP2 is a 'service pack' (later version) of Windows XP. The current version is SP3 already, and it has been delivered to everybody by Windows Update. Are you really telling us that you don't do windows updates? That's a bad idea.

If you've got broadband Internet, go to Tools>Windows Update in Internet Explorer and let it do its work. Might take a few hours. If you're on dial-up, better order the SP3 CD from Microsoft.

Kees

Collapse -
Sorry
by sonni56 / September 14, 2008 8:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: quicktime

Thank you Kees,
I don't know if I do windows updates or not, is this something that happens automatic or do I go after it? I don't use IE and haven't for about 4 months, I had too many security risks going on. So I switched to Firefox and that has been much better. Up until then I didn't use the computer but to check emails, so this is why I don't know what I'm doing. Or understand many things that I'm supposed to be doing. So are you saying if I install sp3 I can get Quicktime to work on Firefox? And I have to do this using IE? I have bad things happen when I use IE for anything, freezes, sudden death,spyware issues and such things as that. But am willing to try so that I can do my classes that I paid for and now can't do, due to not being able to view the videos on Quicktime. I'm not on dial up.

It says when I delete that I'm sending it to the trash bin, is this actually getting it off the PC or just getting rid of the icon? BTW, I saw that it says it's itunes8setup I suppose that's some form of Quicktime. When I look in the control panel it isn't listed so I do a search and right click and get a delete option which sends to trash bin with no option to uninstall. I thought if I uninstall this frees up space and if I send to trash bin this just moves it,is this wrong?
Thanks for the help, anyone else have thoughts on this matter?
Sonni

Collapse -
No Fix But Perhaps Some...
by tobeach / September 14, 2008 4:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Quicktime Issue

clarification for you. Forgive me if it seems I'm telling what you already know as "I don't know...what you don't know".

Service packs are collections of security & performance fixes. MS usually issues fixes monthly & when enough are out they bundle them together as a SP (SP2/SP3) for each OS.

One thing about SP's is that they require your machine to be COMPLETELY clean of Spyware/Adware/Trojans/Viruses/etc. BEFORE you attempt to install them. Otherwise you end w/ a he.. of a mess & possibly non functioning machine. They also usually require legit OS and previous SP's to be onboard. IE: SP2 installed before installing SP3. Older versions of QT may agree with your current machine but likely won't be able to handle/show newest QT file types such as course likely uses.

It sounds as if newer Quicktime program, requires SP2 to be installed at minimum as it uses the SP2 changed routings to function. If you could get it to install, it would be trashed & the bugs would likely make machine unusable.

If you delete the Quicktime Icon from your desktop,you delete ONLY the Icon itself (the path to the program from desktop).Does NOT delete/un-install program itself. This is usually done via Control Panel>Add/Delete programs Icon>clicking to highlight & clicking remove.Followed by a reboot. Often a good idea to create a restore point before doing this (just in case).

Often, if you check the Start>All Programs list & put cursor over the program name, you'll get a drop down list & often there is an Un-install option there you could also use. If it is the same version you tried 2 times, the un-install (IF there at all, since install didn't complete)should remove "both".

As a self described modest newbie, I suggest that REQUIRED malware clean-up & subsequent installs of SP's & possibly updated drivers
(assorted) needed for computability w/ newer SP (which must be downloaded & saved OFF machine(Floppy/CD/DVD/USB flash thumb drive) BEFORE installing SP2 etc. IS NOT, repeat NOT, something you should try alone. At least a friendly Nerd or a professional to help or do it for you will be required. Sorry!!

Possibly, easiest answer (if you can find one now) would be to buy a legit retail XP disk w/ SP2 included & do a complete new install from a blank page (so to speak). Even this will require getting in Advance (OFF machine) such assorted drivers for your motherboard/Audio/Video
cards that are updated for SP2. Ones included in XP are VERY basic & minimal & not suitable for much beyond booting up. Possibly a somewhat used XP SP2 machine from somewhere like Factory Direct with legit XP already installed & at least w/ some warranty might be another option
in the $200-$350 range. I usually don't suggest this but if necessary....probably only a little more than retail OS alone.

At least this will by-pass any problems of existing malware/spyware currently in your machine.

I DO NOT recommend VISTA (any) for your current specs without some major hardware upgrades at which point buying a new machine ($500-$700) would probably be cheaper & at least you'd have a warranty rather than a 5 year old HD etc. possibly ready to die soon.

Again, my sympathies for this news. If you get a new machine, you could keep old one for mundane tasks like mail,playing /Videos/Music
more basic games etc. Depending on your current printers etc, some of those may not work w/ post SP2 machine (I had to get new printer & scanner since old not compatible ) but since they work w/ current, you could continue to use for those purposes. Good Luck!!! Happy

Collapse -
PS: You've Got Firefox? How? System Req.
by tobeach / September 14, 2008 4:26 PM PDT

for recent & current Firefox 2/3 require a minimum of SP2 as do the Sun Java requirements for java to suit Firefoxes.

If pre- SP2, like me, you'd be better off using current Mozilla Sea Monkey along w/ it less strict Sun Java 1.4xxx pre-requirement. That's what I'm using for XP Pro SP1++++.

With Mozilla browsers you use a "Quicktime Plug-in" so they can handle QT.

Try a RIGHT click on "My Computer", click Properties & general tab & see what's shown as your OS & SP level. Happy

Collapse -
the continuation
by sonni56 / September 16, 2008 11:04 AM PDT

I have a 1 by the service pack so I guess I'm not updated. I tried to update but it didn't work. I tried also to uninstall the quicktimes and went into the control panel to look for them and they don't show up there. So I did a search and there they were I right clicked on them to delete them and it wouldn't do it. It says I can't so I have no idea what's going on here. Nothing is like it should be and I suppose that's my fault since I know absolutely nothing in this area. Thanks for the help everyone. I think I'm dead in the water so to speak. I may need to get a new computer as it doesn't make much sense to spend a lot of money on a 5 year old PC that's kind of on it's last leg. Just being realistic, kind of out of options. Thanks again.
Sonni56

Collapse -
A New Machine May Be Answer But....
by tobeach / September 16, 2008 3:44 PM PDT
In reply to: the continuation

you can still reformat your old machine (disks ?) and still have use for as long as it lasts. Good Luck & happy studying! Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?