HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

quicktime editing

by scrapbook_designer / October 10, 2005 12:36 AM PDT

I have a digital camera that takes video in quicktime format. Is quicktime pro the only software that can edit these videos? Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: quicktime editing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: quicktime editing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No, but....
by thought_stazi / October 10, 2005 1:12 AM PDT
In reply to: quicktime editing

It will almost certainly be the cheapest.

Collapse -
I realize that but...
by scrapbook_designer / October 11, 2005 9:54 PM PDT
In reply to: No, but....

was still wondering what my other choices are. I have Adobe Premier and can't edit my digital camera video footage with it. So price doesn't necessarily mean anything when it comes to Quicktime...but it made me wonder if Apple has a lock on editing software for that format.

Collapse -
Final Cut Pro
by thought_stazi / October 12, 2005 12:45 AM PDT
In reply to: I realize that but...

My guess would be Apple's more high end program/suite in Final Cut Pro or Final Cut Suite would include the ability to edit QuickTime files. Catch is, it's a Mac only product. Never used it myself, but people just fall over themselves talking about how good it is.

From a quick search of Adobe's site, it looks like Premire WILL edit QuickTime files, but you have to have QuickTime Pro to do it.

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/317151.html

Collapse -
Digital Video
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 12, 2005 8:49 AM PDT
In reply to: quicktime editing

Is this a still camera that takes QT movies or is it a digital Video camera?
If it is the former, then QT is about it for editing a QT file but you may be able to export from QT into another format.
If you camera is a digital Video camera, you should NOT be messing with should be working directly with the DV stream that the camera produces. Adobe Premier will deal with that for you.

Of course, iPhoto, iTunes, iMovie and iDVD will do the job superbly, with the minimum of fuss and all of these pieces of software are free with every purchase of a Mac. Just a thought Happy

P

Collapse -
it's a digital camera
by scrapbook_designer / October 12, 2005 10:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Digital Video

that also takes video clips. A kodak easyshare...I love it I just have lots of little clips that I'd like to be able to edit and export into another format. And as much as I'd love to have a Mac for video editing, that's way out of my price range! I may just burn all my clips onto a CD and take to my dad's for editing...he's got a nice Mac system bought specifically for video editing. It's my understanding that QT pro requires downloading iTunes anyway to make it work right. And then there are some XP systems that still don't want to work right according to some FAQ'd and forums I looked through. Thanks everyone for the info. I can't wait to get started with my digital scrapbooking!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.