General discussion

Quicktime 7.6.6

Mac G5 - OS X 10.5.8 - Just upgraded to Quicktime 7.6.6 and am not able to open .mp4 files.
A panel pops up and tells me that a Quicktime component is missing and then it takes me to 'Quick Time Components' page [http://www.apple.com/quicktime/resources/components.html?os=OSX&ctype=696d6463&csubtype=66343230].

Quicktime 7.6.6 will open the file and play the audio but the video remains black.
Divx 2.2 will play it. Going to Divx.com has version 7, which is for Intel Macs only.

All the other stuff on 'Quick Time Components' does not make sense for .mp4 files

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Quicktime 7.6.6
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Quicktime 7.6.6
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Error in post

Divx does not play the video, audio only.
VLC will play the movie correctly.

Sorry

- Collapse -
Try this:

Download Perian and install it.

Fixes a whole bunch of problem with video and audio.

It's free and you'll find it here:

http://perian.org/

P

- Collapse -
Thanks, but ...

... I have had Perian for some time (v. 1.2.1) and even re-installed it after upgrading QT to 7.6.6, but no help. I left a message at Perian, maybe they need to upgrade Perian?

- Collapse -
Forget about QT

Inability to play mp2-mp4 files is a long-standing problem with QT, Perian or no Perian. I guess, the first one to break it and elicit an outcry with no remedy was with 7.6.3. VLC is your best bet, IMHO.

- Collapse -
VLC is not a viable solution

I have thousands of .mp4 movies.
If I just need to open one or a few, that's a temp solution.

MPEG Streamclip can also display them, and I can save them from there to .mov, but that is also not a solution.

All those .mp4's are also on backup DVDs.

I also remoed DivX 2.2 (Someone suggested I do that because the Perian page says DivX may cause problems, but this did not help either

I am considering going back to 7.6.4 Quicktime, if I can find it.

Oddly enough, my mp4's play fine on my 10.3.9 Network'd eMac running QT 7.1.6 without Perian. I'll try deleting Perian 1.2.1 from my G5

- Collapse -
Perian is not an issue

This is about QT. Apple abandoned mp format a while ago. This is why your old QT plays it but not the new one. I am not sure 7.6.4 would work. Did not quite get your take on VLC: why can't you watch movies in it one by one? And it has a playlist as well. I guess, you meant putting all movies into a database.

- Collapse -
Exporting movie

QT still has the option of exporting a movie as an mpeg4 file, so it doesn't appear that Apple has abandoned the mp format. Their website (http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/) has this: "Create H.264, MPEG-4, 3GPP & 3GPP2 content
Save movies from the web"
I still have OS x 10.5.8 running on an external disk with QT 7.6.4 and Perian 1.2.
Booting from that disk I have no problem viewing my mp4 files.
Copying 7.6.4 to my base system does not work. I have not yet tried removing Perian to try to go back to 1.2 from 1.2.1
My problem started with the last update that updated
Java for 10.5 Update 6 1.0
Airport 5.5.1
Quicktime to 7.6.6 from 7.6.4
Safari to 4.0.5 from 4.0.4
iTunes to 9.1 from 9.0.3
Security 1.0

I just have too many of the files. Also downloading QT files from the internet gives me .mov files that will not play. I have to play them in a browser and copy them from there.

- Collapse -
this concerns the pro version

Many users including me have free QT. QT pro has more capabilities. Maybe this is a way to go for you. I was mistaken about the mp format as a whole. QT cannot play Mpeg2 without a component that is offered for a fee. But QT pro apparently can play mpeg4.

- Collapse -
QT

I do have the Pro version.
When I have time I will Carbon Copy my current system to another HD, and then back out the last changes and see what happens.
I do have a system on another HD without the recent updates, and it does not have the problem, but it is not up-to-date with other stuff so I can't just use it

CNET Forums