Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

QUICKEN

by Big Steve / November 16, 2008 8:21 AM PST

Is this the correct forum to ask questions about Quicken financial software for home users? Advise at anytime.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: QUICKEN
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: QUICKEN
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Close enough.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2008 8:39 AM PST
In reply to: QUICKEN

I own and use Quicken 2008 Premier lightly. What I can't answer are basic accounting questions. Most of those are personal choice items about how you run your business.

Collapse -
Re: Close enough.
by Big Steve / November 16, 2008 9:00 AM PST
In reply to: Close enough.

I have Quicken Basic 2007 installed on 2 computers and it's been working fine but I was wondering should I consider upgrading to a 2008 or 2009 version or stay with what I have since everything is working fine? Do versions 2008 or 2009 offer more features to make it worth upgrading from my Quicken Basic 2007 or not?

I couldn't find a Quicken Basic 2008 or 2009 anywhere on the web, even Quicken's own website, has it been discontinued and replaced by something else? All I use my Quicken Basic 2007 for is to keep track of my few credit card bills, keep up with my checking account and some petty cash expenses. I have no investments to keep track of, no form of a business, or no rental property. I use my Quicken Basic 2007 strictly for personal use.

Collapse -
I'll write no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2008 9:18 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Close enough.

What you don't want to entertain is MS Money. Why the new MS Money offered me cruise deals, home refi and more when I tapped the Help key is beyond me. That was a quick uninstall and back in the box to get my money back.

Quicken 2008 Premier installed in no time at all and looks as clean as it did in 2000 the last time I used it. It hasn't changed much.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: I'll write no.
by Big Steve / November 16, 2008 6:39 PM PST
In reply to: I'll write no.

So your advice is for now not to upgrade, stay with my 2007 version. When upgrading do you install the new version right on top of the old version then remove the old version? I'd hate to lose my current data if I had to uninstall my Quicken Basic 2007 then install a newer version of Quicken. So did Quicken Premier take the place of Quicken Basic?

Collapse -
Not to repeat myself.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2008 9:37 PM PST
In reply to: Re: I'll write no.

But you write "I'd hate to lose my current data". Why not backup before you do such a thing?

"if I had to uninstall my Quicken Basic 2007 then install a newer version of Quicken. So did Quicken Premier take the place of Quicken Basic?"

If there would be loss of data it would be our fault and not Quicken. We made the choice to not backup.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: Not to repeat myself.
by Big Steve / November 17, 2008 5:45 AM PST
In reply to: Not to repeat myself.

So back up the data first with something like a "flash drive" or since the data is on a desktop computer should I purchase an external HD? Then uninstall the 2007 version then install a newer version? Since the changes between the 2 versions seem minimal as you state I think I'll stay with 2007 for now.

Collapse -
Re: quicken
by Kees Bakker / November 17, 2008 6:52 AM PST

My advice:
- don't update as long as old version does what you need (and it might take YEARS before it doesn't)
- be sure that you have a backup on a flash drive OR an external hard disk OR burned to DVD (no need to buy an external hard disk or a DVD burner as long as the flash drive works for you). If you work on 2 computers, it's best to have 2 flash drives (one of each computer).

Kees

Collapse -
Re: quicken
by Big Steve / November 17, 2008 7:18 AM PST
In reply to: Re: quicken

How would I determine what size of a flash drive to buy? I don't have that much data stored in my Quicken. Purchase something like a Sandisk(sp?) flash drive? My first version of Quicken Basic I purchased years ago was version 2001 which I'm still using today on an old Windows 95 desktop PC but the 2007 version which is much nicer is being used on a Dell Dimension 3100 desktop PC with Windows XP. Thanks for the post.

Collapse -
The last flash drive I bought ...
by Kees Bakker / November 17, 2008 4:14 PM PST

(as a present for the coming Christmas for my son) was a promotion for euro 5,99 (that's about USD 7.50) and it was 4 Gb big. For that amount of money I don't ask myself if a 2 Gb one would suffice for him.

My first one 3 years ago was 128 Mb and maybe USD 40. And even that would be enough for you to copy your Quicken data to.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: The last flash drive I bought ...
by Big Steve / November 18, 2008 12:20 AM PST

Thanks for the post.

Collapse -
Size of backup device.
by tduffy1770 / February 20, 2009 11:27 AM PST

To Big Steve, You asked how large a device capacity you would need. I have 3 different Quicken files each with numerous accounts in them. The total size I came up with is around 60 MB. Do the math; my files in the largest file go back to 1992.

If you know how to use Windows Explorer, go to your Quicken Data file folder and right click it. Scoll down to properties and click it. You will be presented with a number of items one of which is the size of the folder. A 1 Gig flash drive is now a few dollars to buy. I use 2 flash drives and an external HD to back up to. It may sound like a bit much but as I wrote, 17 years of data would be hard to replace. I probably wouldn't have to replace all that, but it's there, so I use several backup vehicles.

Collapse -
Re: Size of backup device.
by Big Steve / February 20, 2009 2:33 PM PST
In reply to: Size of backup device.

Thanks for the info but for some reason I didn't receive an email from CNET informing me of your post unless I have removed this thread from my tracked discussions. I'll have to check. I'll start tracking it now.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?