General discussion

Quickbooks 2005 problem

I am new to quickbooks and have installed Quickbooks pro 2005. But when I go to start it, it gives me the following error:

"win xp and 2000 users must have power users or admin group rights in order to run quickbooks. Please contact your system adminstrator"

How the heck do I change this? I'm not on a network, just little ole me here. I understand this has to do with security settings on Win XP, but I don't know much about them or how to change them.

Can someone help me out with this before I go insane?
Happy
Laura

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Quickbooks 2005 problem
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Quickbooks 2005 problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Quickbooks 2005 problem

Quickbooks requires you to be a system administator on your XP machine in order to run it. To see if you are, click 'Start' then 'Control Panel' then choose 'User Accounts'. If you are an administrator it will tell you. If you are not, make yourself one by clicking on your account then 'Change my account type'. Hope this helps.

- Collapse -
Done that!

I am the administrator on my computer. Oh, if it were that simple.
I have had to go into the registry and change permissions on several QB folders, as suggested elsewhere. It still doesn't work. I have uninstalled and reinstalled and still nothing.

There just doesn't seem to be a way around this, which sounds impossible to me. Others are having the same problem. Intuit doesn't have a clue how to fix it--big surprise.

I was just hoping someone here could find a step by step fix.

May just have to admit defeat and get a refund.

- Collapse -
Beyond the admin.

I will not offer any step by step fixes. I'm not Quiken's support staff. HOWEVER I thought I'd share that new to XP owners often get in this trap where being the Administator is not enough. Let me share an example.

iTunes for example has a problem installing and you have to go into the registry with REGEDT32 and give the Administrator read/write permission on the keys needed. The concept of Administrator is not God-like powers when one runs a program, but the ability to add read/write as needed.

Sadly, what exactly is needed for Quicken to work will be something they will have to tell you. Or it's on their web site. I did not research if it was since that's your job.

Bob

- Collapse -
exactly

Yes, I have learned a lot about allowing permissions in the last few days. I have done this on nearly every Quickhbooks folder. Will have to look again.
Nothing on Intuit's site yet--but in the forums there are tons of others with the same problem and trying everything metioned still hasn't helped.
I'm not asking for everything handed to me--I have been researching my brain off. But with forums like this, there is a chance that someone knows some steps involved that I don't. For instance, after I change permissions, should I uninstall and then reinstall?
Things like that...
Wow, XP is a lot of fun!

- Collapse -
Yes. I would. And also...

I would have looked more deeply at this but the "exact" error message didn't seem ready plus that all important support call to Quicken apparently hasn't been made.

So I give such posts time to reveal more and when I see enough information I may go research it a little.

My reply is more about "admin isn't enough" in hopes that it will inspire an idea on how to solve it.

Here's why the phone call is needed. Their support will get such calls if the issue is rampant enough and they'll know what to do.

Bob

- Collapse -
Quickbooks error

How do I resolve the following error, which occurs when attempting to start QuickBooks?
Your user account for Windows was created with Restricted access to system resources. This will prevent QuickBooks from operating properly. Please contact your system administrator and ask him or her to grant you Standard user rights.

Possible
Cause: You may be set up as a "Restricted User." (When creating users, Microsoft

CNET Forums

Forum Info