HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Quick Question about UAC

by NateC16 / October 23, 2007 3:31 AM PDT

I bought a brand new lapop at best buy ( an hp) and i had the geek squad install stuff on it and remove junk that didnt need to be there, and when i brought it home it got to the log in screen said welcome then turned black for up to 5 minutes.. so we returned it and got an even better one.. and it does the exact same thing and yeh i had the geek squad install stuff on it again.. could the problem be that or would it be something with hp cuz i can bet i didnt get 2 crap computers in a row.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Quick Question about UAC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Quick Question about UAC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
o0ps
by NateC16 / October 23, 2007 3:33 AM PDT

oh yeh i forgot to add they said the problem was with the UAC and if u turn it off it works fine but if u turn it on it boots up really slow as in black screen after login and i kinda do want it on jsut for now cuz its brand new and i dont want anything messing it up right away

Collapse -
My new Acer sat for 60 minutes...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 23, 2007 3:36 AM PDT

Configuring Vista. They warned that if you left it on battery you might have to reload the OS.

But it's new and I can understand why many would scoff at this.

Bob

Collapse -
Yep, That First Boot Can Take A While...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 23, 2007 8:01 AM PDT

I've only set up a half dozen or so so far, but they all took 5-10+ minutes to startup the first time.. After started, I then disable UAC on them all... One important note though.. I have found a few problems that actually REQUIRE UAC to be enabled so they will install.. Some of our corporate McAfee programs needed UAC re-enabled.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Any others, Grif?
by John.Wilkinson / October 23, 2007 1:57 PM PDT

I haven't encountered any applications that required UAC to be enabled, and loathe the thought until Microsoft gives users the ability to customize its notifications. (Four confirmations to delete a text file I created seconds earlier in the System32 folder is way too much to tolerate on a regular basis.) Aside from McAfee, which thankfully I haven't had that problem with yet (using solely VirusScan Enterprise 8.5i), but would appreciate the heads-up on any to keep an eye out for.

Thanks!
John

Collapse -
Only One Other 'Wierd' One..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 24, 2007 5:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Any others, Grif?

...and it may be because it's not fully supported.. I tried to install Office 2000 on a Vista Premium machine and it required UAC to be enabled.. It was the only machine that had that particular issue with Office but then again, I've only installed Office 2002 and 2003 on the other Vista computers.

By the way, it WAS VirusScan Enterprise 8.5i that I had the problem with... It was only the one time so it must have been a fluke. I've not had the problem since and I install VS Enterprise exclusively at the office. When installing VirusScan on the one machine, I needed to enable UAC for it to install. Although I can't remember the exact message, UAC was clearly mentioned as the culprit..so I enabled it and things worked fine.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Reposting for NateC16...
by John.Wilkinson / October 23, 2007 1:59 PM PDT

"well..
by NateC16 - 10/23/07 3:07 PM

well then is there something wrong w/ the computer itself.. some bad software installed on the computer, because my brother has a compter that u really cant compare to the one i have and his boots up perfect the thing i did that he didnt was i let the geek squad do thier thing to mine
"

Nate: I deleted the new thread you created by mistake and reposted your updated question here.

Collapse -
UAC
by Dango517 / October 23, 2007 4:01 PM PDT

Disable this right away. Way to time consuming/inefficient. Two reasons to keep it. One, kids around the house that might change settings on computer. Two, business were you might not be able to trust everyone. I've had no problems running it disabled. In no instance have I had to re-enable it to run any software in 8 months.

Geeks goofed up.

slow starts: start>control panel>administrative tools>system configuration>boot tab>check box, boot log>restart

Make sure OS has been activated. start>control panel>system. See bottom of screen in center.

I am not tracking this thread.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.