Computer Help forum

Question

Quick question about 2 hard drives?

by SkillJim / April 29, 2011 1:57 AM PDT

Hi guys, I recently got a new computer, it's got a 60gb SSD drive, and a 1TB drive.

The computer was built for me, and windows 7 64 bit was installed on the SSD so it boots up really quickly Happy

I also put WoW, and Rift, the two main games I want to play on my computer on the SSD thinking they would play better on the faster drive.

Now the problem I have is after windows and those 2 high GB demanding games have been installed, I have as little as 6gb, and i'm starting to get a couple of "free up more space" messages when I try to do certain things such as patching WoW. I think this is because everything I install, even though i'm telling the application to switch to the 1TB drive for installation, certain files I can't help are still being installed to the SSD, because it's classed as my main drive. In the long run i'm worried that the computer my become very tedious to use because of this, and was wondering if there was a quick solution that I could use so that the computer automatically knows to install everything to the 1TB drive and ignore the SSD one now the use I wanted out of that drive has been fulfilled?

Thanks for any help in this matter Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Quick question about 2 hard drives?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Quick question about 2 hard drives?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: 2 drives
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 29, 2011 4:07 AM PDT

I'd uninstall one or both of those games from the c:-drive and reinstall it on your 1 TB drive. If you find it really too slow (but I think you'll find it good enough), buy a 128 GB SSD in stead of the 60 GB.

I assume you know how to move your Documents folder.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
More for your information than a solution.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 29, 2011 4:14 AM PDT

If you've been around the Windows PC you learn there is no getting around items that must install to C:.

You will see the newer to PC folk bring this topic up again but given it's such an old topic I hope they can catch up fast. Yes, be sure to watch for any option to install elsewhere but in over 15 years, C still rules.
Bob

Collapse -
by SkillJim / April 29, 2011 6:33 AM PDT

Thanks for the replies guys Happy

That really sucks, you'd think they'd be a simple way around such a small issue really.

I did a compress the drive to free up space, and my free space actually doubled doing that, not sure if it's the best thing to do, but no more issues with regards to "free up some space" messages now.

I'll just have to remember to make sure to change the installation directory for everything in the future i guess...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!