Laptops forum

General discussion

Quick question

Ive been looking through C-net, and plenty of other sites trying to find a laptop for me. All i wanted to do really is play decent games such as Counterstrike: Source, Maybe download music and things for school. Looking at the processors, i was aiming for like 2.4 or igher, and it does not seem that there are any laptops with that kind of power. I was wondering if laptop processors ran on a different scale then desktop processors (IE 1.7 on a laptop runs like a 2.5 on a Desktop)?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Quick question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Quick question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Answer :

In reply to: Quick question

A Core Duo 1.66 Ghz is faster than a Pentium 4 3.4 GHz HT enabled in benchmarks like SuperPi.

You'll need at least an ATi Mobility Radeon X1400 to run your games.

Look at the Dell Inspiron E1505. I own it and I really like it.

Collapse -
First...

In reply to: Quick question

I assume youre talking about clock speed when you say "2.4 or higher." This is irrelevant and you should be looking more into the processor type (such as AMD or intel, Dual Core or Single Core) as well as front side bus speeds and L2 Cache. Right now, the Intel Core 2 Duo processors are the best when in comes to over all preformance; But for what your planning to to do, Amd Turion 64 x2 and first generation Core Duos (or even Pentium M's and core solo's for that matter) will do the job just fine as long as you have a decent dedicated video card.

Secondly, how much are you willing to spend? You can get a decent system for around 1000$ if you look hard enough. Try Delloutlet.com.

Third, how large do you want the screen/notebook? 15.4 inches seems to be the standard. If you want more power, you'll need to go to a 17 inch monitor configured with a higher end dedicated video card. These Laptops often weigh upwards of 9 lbs.

Really popular models with 15.4" screens include the HP PAviliion dv 6000t and the dell e1505. Just custom configure these with dedicated graphics cards such as the ati x1400 and you should be ok (if all you do is mild gaming).
If you want something more capable while keeping the same portability, try the stylish Asus G1.

If your looking for a full on gaming rig, then start looking for 17" models.

hope that helps.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.