Tip

Quick Fix 4 Broken Battery Cover on Cameras

This is a very common problem; the plastic latch breaks and you can't close the battery hatch so your camera is useless.

This is a simple solution that worked on my otherwise trusty Olympus C720... should work on any camera with a battery hatch on the bottom.

Homedepot sells small metal L-shaped brackets. About 1.5 x 2 x 1.5 inches made of thin but sturdy metal, used to brace shelves. Put the camera on the tripod but loosen the screw a bit. With the short side of the L-shaped bracket pointed up so it's parallel to the side of the camera body, slide the longer side between the camera (over the broken battery cover) and the pad on the tripod that holds the camera. Push the bracket tight against the side of the camera body and tighten the screw on the tripod securing it to the bottom.

I have a Mohawk tripod with a good-sized camera pad and it works great for me. You might need a bigger bracket or a flat piece of sturdy metal might work better for you, depending on what kind of camera and tripod you have.

If you don't want to use a tripod, buy a tripod screw that fits your camera and a thin but sturdy flat metal piece and make a brace for your battery cover. Just buy a thin slab that covers the bottom of your camera and drill a hole in it for the tripod screw.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Quick Fix 4 Broken Battery Cover on Cameras
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Quick Fix 4 Broken Battery Cover on Cameras
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

CNET Forums