Mac OS forum

General discussion

Questions regarding wi fi

by zurple07 / June 17, 2006 12:19 AM PDT

I am a newbie and loving my IMAC, but feel a little intimadated about some issues. I am planning a 4 to 6 week trip to film in Arizona which means I'll be using motel high speed connections during that time. Since I have only used my home local connection before I am wondering if there is anything I need to to know about the security while on my trip. I was happy to see the way the Mac setup my connection without my involvement. I actually had intended to connect via cable in the beginning, coming from windows, I expected a hassle and knew I needed to download updates immediately. After about three days use and feeling more confident I decided it was time to go wireless. I disconnected the cable from the cable and when I went to disconnect it from the router I found I never had even connected it to begin wait so I had been wireless from the beginning. What can I expect on my trip? Will it be more involved and will it be secure?
Thanks for your help.
Jim

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Questions regarding wi fi
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Questions regarding wi fi
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Motel High Speed Access
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 17, 2006 3:16 AM PDT

Motels that offer broadband in the room usually do it as a wired connection. If that is the case, just plug the ethernet cable into the iMac and all will be well. Make sure you have the Mac Firewall turned on. System Preferences/Sharing/Firewall Tab.

Sometimes the room is covered wirelessly. Just let the iMac find the connection and all should be well.

You didn't say how you were connecting wirelessly at the house. I gather that you have a wireless router and that is what you were connected to.
You probably were not wireless all the time. Just that when you removed the wired connection, the iMac automatically found another means of communication and used that, seamlessly. The system "should" automatically use the best (fastest) connection available to it. Smart huh!

An iMac seems to be a rather large chunk of equipment to be taking on a trip but I guess that if you are taking a bunch of film equipment then one more 20" device is not going to matter.

Enjoy the trip. Let us know how you got on.

P

Collapse -
Thanks Pete
by zurple07 / June 17, 2006 5:46 AM PDT

I knew you would know and I thought the MAC would simplify the whole process. Yes, I am carry a lot of photo gear including my printer and I kept the carton the IMAC came in so it will be well packed. I'm liking this system so much better than windows that by the nexr trip I will have the 17" laptop to use for the travelling. Now I can hardly wait until next spring when the inyel version of Photoshop is available!

Thanks again Pete

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome. Enjoy the trip
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 17, 2006 7:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Pete
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?