PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Questions RE: TV Tuner card

by billyvnilly / September 23, 2008 2:34 PM PDT

Hello everyone,

I'm interested in getting tv tuner card for a media PC. Currently, I've got digital cable from a cable box, and ignorantly paying for HD channels (understand what QAM is now).

My First Question:
it seems all Hauppauge cards have a 125 channel restriction, so how does one get all of their 275+ channels from the cable box?

My Second Question:
I have digital cable so do I only need a card that supports ATSC, along with ClearQAM? I would like to be able to record either HDTV or regular digital cable onto my hard drive. I'm looking at Hauppauge WinTV- HVR 1800 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116015 or similar product but would like to know what internal card I should get.

Thank your very much, and if you have general advice you'd like to pass along about building a Media PC, I would love to hear it. (it seems all threads online about building a media pc were pre HDTV/Blu-Ray era) I plan to publish my work online when I'm finished.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Questions RE: TV Tuner card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Questions RE: TV Tuner card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's much worse than you expected.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 23, 2008 9:50 PM PDT
Collapse -
I guess I havent done enough research
by billyvnilly / September 24, 2008 12:01 AM PDT

Hi Bob,
Ugh. Reading about Cable Cards, and thoroughly disappointed. I guess any effort to convert my current pc to a media pc is futile.

I'm contacting my cable company to see where they stand. From what I gather, I will be required to buy a pre-approved media PC.

Collapse -
So far that's the plan.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2008 12:37 AM PDT

Every media mogul fears they HD content might leak out.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?