Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Questions re JRE 6 Update 11

by michhala / December 4, 2008 9:47 AM PST

Just installed and have some questions.

1. Advanced Tab on Java Console has a new setting -- Java Plug-in was checked "to enable the next generation Java Plug-in requires a restart." Is this the Java Quick Starter that was discussed when Update 10 was released and which was preferably disabled by many?

2. jusched.exe has been added to MSCONFIG Startup. I do not have console configured to automatically check for updates, so can jusched.exe be removed from MSCONFIG? (I don't uncheck -- I remove from Registry)?

3. Did not elect to install Open Office, so hopefully, I don't have it. There is an "Open Office Document" in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu that I believe is Microsoft.

Thank you everyone for your patience......

Miki

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Questions re JRE 6 Update 11
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Questions re JRE 6 Update 11
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Addendum
by michhala / December 4, 2008 10:13 AM PST

Re my original post, I found Java Quick Starter and disabled. This was part of #1 question in my OP, but I still need to know how to deal with the Java Plug-in which is also part of the same question.

My thanks.
Miki

Collapse -
One more question....
by michhala / December 4, 2008 10:35 AM PST

LOL can't seem to stop with the questions.

I downloaded/installed Update 11 through the Java Console Update.....forgot about using the full "Windows offline installation" from the website. What is the difference and shall I redo using the offline installation?

I'd rather go to the dentist than install new software!

Miki

Collapse -
Hi, Miki ! In Addition to Carols Advice....
by tobeach / December 4, 2008 1:59 PM PST
In reply to: One more question....

I'm a firm believer in keeping a new, full offline installer of any current ( & usually, for awhile anyway,1 of the immediate last version just in case new one is a problem)
programs I run in My Docs, or on USB, for use in case of emergency such as losing Net connectivity &/or corruption by attack preventing download of new copy.This really saved my tail in the case of Spybot 1.5 (rev'd to 1.4)& a couple of others over the years.

Luckily I have enough spare space to keep these back-ups without problem, just have to remember to clean them out after awhile. Sandy Grin

Collapse -
P.S: Forgot, You Can Also Stop Java...
by tobeach / December 4, 2008 2:06 PM PST

Auto update checks by unchecking it in your Spybot's "system start-up" tool page (my preferred method). S Grin

Collapse -
(NT) Thank you, tobeach, that's new to me :)
by michhala / December 4, 2008 2:41 PM PST
Collapse -
Sun Javea jusched.exe
by michhala / December 5, 2008 11:58 AM PST

For the record, I permanently removed jusched.exe from MSCONFIG through the Registry. It is not needed in startup, particularly when the Java console is configured to not search for or do auto updates.

Miki

Collapse -
Good advice, Sandy.......
by michhala / December 4, 2008 2:44 PM PST

I keep some on an external HD......miki

Collapse -
Re: Some answers re JRE 6 Update 11 :)
by Carol~ Moderator / December 4, 2008 12:52 PM PST

Miki..

I can't give you the full explanations you might want, but I can give you some idea.

1 - You already figured out where to disable Java Quick Starter. You may want to read, "What is the next-generation Java Plug-in", or not. I don't see why you would want to uncheck it, unless for some reason you have issues running applets with the new Java Plug-in. The option allows you to switch to the old Java plug-in.

2 - In addition to going to Java's Control Panel and unchecking the automatic update option under the Update Tab, I also uncheck "jusched" using the "msconfig" utility. I'm not sure what you meant by 'I don't uncheck - I remove from the Registry'. If you meant you wanted to delete the unused entry from msconfig, it can be done like this. If you meant you wanted to remove "jusched" from the registry, I'm not sure what you would do. I would think all you need do is run regedit and "find" it. I can't tell you that for sure. Perhaps, someone else can give you a more specific way to accomplish the task, if that's what you're looking to do.

3 - Coincidentally, I received a message today, from someone who helps at a lot of different forums. He mentioned in passing, in addition to some other Java issues, that there were some user's who reported 'that the default (online) install put a shortcut to openoffice.org on their desktops'. I would presume what you're noticing is much the same kind of issue.

And lastly, I see no reason to reinstall this latest version of Java. The only difference between the two is the method of installation. Once installed, it's the same application.

Best I can tell you, Miki...
Carol

Collapse -
You did good, Carol :)
by michhala / December 4, 2008 2:17 PM PST

Re your replies:

1. Actually, I did read up on "What is the next generation Java Plug-in" but I still was undecided. I'll follow your lead and leave it checked.

2. About unchecking "jusched" in MSCONFIG and your not sure what I meant when I mentioned MSCONFIG and not unchecking-- I don't uncheck in MSCONFIG because it puts me in Selective Startup and I prefer to be in Normal Startup. Deleting from the Registry in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run removes it permanently. I have always removed what I did not want in Startup this way. With some programs one has to be careful because in some cases this can mess up an uninstall of a program, but I have never run into that. I did read on Java site that to "kill" "jusched" use end process in Task Manager......but I don't believe that would be permanent.

3. Re Open Office -- I do not have an icon on desktop and when I did a Search, the only Open Office I found has a date of January 2005 which is when I reformatted my HD and it is part of Microsoft. When I updated from the Java console, I was given a choice whether or not to take Open Office......but being me, I had to double check.....I am sure you can understand that Happy

I don't know why I chose to update from the console instead of the usual way with the "Windows Offline Installation" -- but I have been away at an event for six days and sleep deprived which may account for memory lapse.

Thanks for your post....as always, I appreciate. I often know answers to my own questions but need someone else to reinforce and reassure Happy

Miki

Collapse -
You're welcome, Miki
by Carol~ Moderator / December 4, 2008 3:39 PM PST
In reply to: You did good, Carol :)

I can't believe with all the times I've installed Java, I can't remember the actual sequence of events. But.. somewhere during the installation I'm able to "opt out" (loosely put) of updating automatically. Not completely, or else it wouldn't show as a start up item. I don't remember at which point it occurs, but the end result has always been, that "jusched" has never once shown up in the Task Manager. I still may think of why, but the reason alludes me now. Given the time on this coast, it may account for my memory lapse.

'I often know answers to my own questions but need someone else to reinforce and reassure '

Did think for one moment, I wasn't aware of that? Happy I would also venture to say, I might even know where/who you would have liked to get the "reinforcement and reassurance" from. Wink You still may. Prince charming may still come to the rescue. I was hoping that would have been the case, but after awhile when it didn't happen, I decided to post "in the meantime".

The upside to this is.. Java will update yet again and you'll get another "shot" at an offline install. I still believe there's no good reason to uninstall and reinstall. But that's clearly up to you.

Good luck with whatever you should decide..
Carol

Collapse -
Carol.....how well you know me :)
by michhala / December 4, 2008 4:52 PM PST
In reply to: You're welcome, Miki

and thank you, again......Princess Miki

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!