Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

Questions onthe PSP

by dfikehongkong / April 8, 2006 1:34 AM PDT

I would like if you could answer these questions:

1. How much space do you need for the memory stick duo card do you need to store Movies?

2. With a 32mb card- can you still watch movies using UMD discs?

3. Can you hear movie sound without earphones?

4. How many games can you store with a 32mb card?

5. Can you transfer DVD and VCD movies both into UMD discs?

6. How much video battery life does it have?

7. Does the PSP have TV podcast?

8. What colours does it come in?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Questions onthe PSP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Questions onthe PSP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Questions on the PSP
by csmall1004 / April 8, 2006 2:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Questions onthe PSP

1. Depends... I have some that I use PSP Video-9 to put into as small as 300 Mb or as large as 700 Mb.

2. You need to upgrade to a bigger card. Luckily you can find a 2G card for like 80 bucks now.

3. The PSP has external speakers but they arent too loud and are extra hard or batteries.

4. You can store plenty of games saves on the PSP if that is what you were refering too. Rumor is that you will be able to buy PSone emulated games offline to play on the psp. Im sure they will be pretty large files. Larger than 32MB anyway...

5. You can't transfer anything to the UMD itself.

6. Battery life depends on what you are doing. With headphones and music I get like 6 hours. Watching a UMD movie or playing a game I get 4-5 hours. Having the Wi-Fi turned on for browsing the internet, I can get about 3-4 hours. Not bad considering the screen is huge.

7. You can put video podcast meant for the ipod video on your memory card and watch them on the PSP. Speaking of TV, you should look at location free TV. It works like sling box and throws what is on your TV over the net so you can watch it on your PSP. You have full control of TV box from the remote location. Pretty sweet concept.

8. PSP comes in black for now. They just released ceramic white in Japan, and those should hit the US soon.

Hope that helps. Rumor is that there is a upgraded PSP in the works with 4G of built in memory and a camera. Research before you buy. Honestly all you have to do is see a PSP in person and you will be blown away. Amazing multimedia tool. Hoped this helped.

Collapse -
Reply to: Questions on the PSP
by ssracing / April 8, 2006 2:14 AM PDT

1: Depends on the quality and length of the movie you wish to put on yout memory card

2: Yes since the UMD doesn't save any kind of information , you can watch a umd movies with a 32mb card

3: Yes the PsP has two speakers located on the bottom of the unit

4: Like with any other system the Game Packaging will normally tell you how much memory is required to save games, since each game varies

5: No, UMD so far is not end user writable

6: I haven''t tested that as of yet but Sony advertises about 8 hours of battery life

7: it does support RSS, but I yet to see anything about TV podcast, it does support LocationFree TV with the newest OS upgrade

8: You can have it any colour you like aslong as it's black

Collapse -
another question
by dfikehongkong / April 8, 2006 10:23 AM PDT

Then how do you put movies on a UMD disc? Like if you want to put a DVD movie or VCD- How do you transfer it into the PSP?

Collapse -
You don't...
by John.Wilkinson / April 8, 2006 12:21 PM PDT
In reply to: another question

You can't put movies on a UMD disk since blank media and specialized burners are not available to the public. Thus, you can only purchase movies and games on UMD discs, not create them yourself. If you want to play a movie from a DVD or such on your PSP you have to convert it and put it on a Sony Memory Stick Duo using your memory card reader. Information about this can be found on page 55 of your owner's manual, which is also available on Sony's website.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Answers :)
by SwaroopHegde / April 8, 2006 11:30 AM PDT

I wrote the book Hacking the PSP (www.hackingpsp.com, available at Barnes & Noble, Borders, Amazon.com, and so forth), so I'm very happy to help you with your questions!

1. How much space do you need for the memory stick duo card do you need to store Movies?

This depends. A 2-hour DVD transferred at medium to high quality will take about 500-700 megabytes on a Memory Stick, so a 1 gigabyte memory stick is a good starter. 1 gigabyte Memory Sticks can be had for around $50 these days, with 2 gigabyte sticks available for under $80 after rebates. A program like XCopy 9 makes it very easy to move movies to your PSP.

NOTE: Make sure you buy a Memory Stick Duo or Memory Stick Pro Duo. The non-Duo Memory Sticks will not fit in your PSP!

2. With a 32mb card- can you still watch movies using UMD discs?

Yes. The UMD discs do not require space on the memory stick. The memory stick holds audio (music), game saves, web browser preferences and favorites, and movies. It can also hold "homebrew software", which you can learn more about on my web site, www.hackingpsp.com.

3. Can you hear movie sound without earphones?

Yes, but the PSP's speakers aren't very loud, so even a slightly noisy room will make it difficult to hear.

4. How many games can you store with a 32mb card?

Only game save data is generally stored on the memory stick, which includes where you are in a game, your score, and so forth. It also includes the pretty animation when you view your game, so estimate about 400K per game. You shouldn't fill up a 32 megabyte memory stick (the one that is included with the Value Pack) just playing games on your PSP.

5. Can you transfer DVD and VCD movies both into UMD discs?

No. UMD is a read-only format. You can transfer DVDs and Video CDs to your PSP's Memory Stick. As I mentioned earlier, you'll need a larger memory stick.

6. How much video battery life does it have?

The PSP can run from 4 to 6 hours on a single charge, depending on your screen brightness, sound volume, and application (movie, game, audio, Internet browsing).

7. Does the PSP have TV podcast?

Sort-of, using Sony's Location Free service.

8. What colours does it come in?

Black and white. Only the black PSP is available in the U.S., although you can special order white PSPs. White PSPs do not play U.S. UMD Movies, though, and may not play all U.S. games in the future because UMD does support "region coding," which controls where UMD discs can be played.

I hope that helps!

Auri Rahimzadeh
Author, Hacking the PSP
www.hackingpsp.com

Collapse -
Re: Answers
by dfikehongkong / April 8, 2006 1:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Answers :)

Qoute= 5. Can you transfer DVD and VCD movies both into UMD discs?

No. UMD is a read-only format. You can transfer DVDs and Video CDs to your PSP's Memory Stick. As I mentioned earlier, you'll need a larger memory stick.

So that means- you can only store 1 DVD or VCD movie per 1GB memory stick duo card?
Then how come I see some shops selling UMD discs ( Not games are movies)- What do you do with them?

Collapse -
Hmm.
by Jotas / April 14, 2006 5:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Answers

You sure these aren't demos of games or possibly mini-disc, the UMD's cousin?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?