Desktops forum

General discussion

questions on performance and normal ram any info appreciated

how much of a difference does the two have like is it worth upgrading to performance ram from normal ram??(i use my computer for gaming)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: questions on performance and normal ram any info appreciated
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: questions on performance and normal ram any info appreciated
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a quick overview.

In reply to: questions on performance and normal ram any info appreciated

Windows XP.
1GB RAM
3D Video Card

Vista
Dual Core CPU
2GB RAM
3D Video Card.

Sorry but given so little to work with I'll start with the short list of what I like to see in a gaming desktop.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks but not what i ment, heres a more indepth description

In reply to: Just a quick overview.

i have xp operating system 2gb's of ram, intel core 2 duo 2.4 clockspeed processor, geforce9600 512mb graphics card i was asking if i should upgrad that ram(normal) to performance ram. and how much of a difference that would make.

Collapse -
No, that's very good for a gaming desktop.

In reply to: thanks but not what i ment, heres a more indepth description

RAM is fine, video too. The only thing left to discuss is what game. You can imagine those that want to play Crysis may not understand that no machine today even with a million dollar budget can play that on "high settings" well.
Bob

Collapse -
yeahh

In reply to: No, that's very good for a gaming desktop.

i can play crysis on all high settings with a good fps but i cant play it on very high at all lol but thanks for the help

Collapse -
Sorry.

In reply to: yeahh

I meant the absolute highest settings available.

Collapse -
Minor improvement but it matters for gaming

In reply to: thanks but not what i ment, heres a more indepth description

The idea behind those "performance ram" is meant to be pushed by OC'ing or at least be stable at normal levels and tested to do that. In other words, you do get better results but at levels only slightly higher than std. ram. Gaming places so much stress on a system that no one area can be left untouched, so an overall emphasis on everything must be included. So std. ram is what you have, then get the extreme ram to maintain any current levels longer now and maybe abit more. In no way can it be guaranteed, but it should be better. I like to say, cooling is very important in a gaming system, don't overlook it.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
thanks but 1 more question

In reply to: Minor improvement but it matters for gaming

okay that helpd thankyou very much, but if i have 2x1gb std. ram now and say i keep one in(i have 4 ram slots) and put in 2x1gb performance ram will they be compatable??

Collapse -
Lessons from the past.

In reply to: thanks but 1 more question

Use the same make and model as today's RAM can vary in voltage or other specs. Be aware your gains are going to be minuscule. But I've found gamers to pay a grand for 2 more FPS.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks

In reply to: Lessons from the past.

not that rich =P
but yeah ill make sure i get same voltage and such
thanks again everyone who replyed

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.