Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Questions for the users of CCleaner

I just recently downloaded this progam and I REALLY like it.It's quick, simple and easy to use. My computer seems to work better and run faster.My questions are , in the windows tab (Advanced setting). Do anyone use them? ,and exactly what do they do? Should I use them or not?

Thanks, Rick

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Questions for the users of CCleaner
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Questions for the users of CCleaner
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Mine are greyed out...

In reply to: Questions for the users of CCleaner

Using Windows XP SP-2. So I do not know the answer. Maybe I am missing something but I see nothing in Options or Tools relating to this.

Glenn

Collapse -
Sorry, I now see how to activate them...

In reply to: Mine are greyed out...

but still do not have an answer. Since these were greyed by default I have never used them mainly because of the popup caution. Excuse the post!

Glenn

Collapse -
I know what you mean,

In reply to: Sorry, I now see how to activate them...

I activated them myself tonight and got the pop up warning.Was hopeing someone from here could tell me what they are and what they do? I downloaded it becuase of the GOOD reviews it got from people in here.

Thanks for your replys,
Rick

Collapse -
Rick, I have used CCleaner for many...

In reply to: I know what you mean,

months and through several revisions. Always satisfied and it finds much especially leftovers from uninstalled software. Very pleased and never any problems. I do make backups of deletions but never had to reverse one.

Hope you are please with it and if you ever learn the answer to your question please share it so we all learn. Grin

Glenn

Collapse -
Hi Rick

I have never checkmarked them for the reason that Glenn just said with the popups. Some of those things in that category I don't want disturbed to I have always left that section unchecked. That is a personal choice though. I also have 3 or 4 other settings changed from default, but then again, they are also personal choices.

Collapse -
Rick

I have ONLY checked:

show prompt to backup registry issues. Nothing else.

Collapse -
OK it seems nobody else has used the advanced setting,

In reply to: Rick

so I will leave things well enough alone too. Thanks
Rick

Collapse -
Marianna, not sure we are talking

about the same "advanced". I took the poster's remarks to be the advanced section at the bottom of the Windows Tab... need to scroll down. I could be wrong.

Glenn

Collapse -
I Think Rick is talking about

the front page of CCleaner where it has the 4 categories under the ''windows'' tab which are

Internet explorer
Windows Explorer
System
Advanced (this one is greyed out by default unless you put a checkmark in there and then you get popup warnings)

I THINK that is where Rick is talking about.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yes it is

In reply to: I Think Rick is talking about

Collapse -
I thought so Rick, I would see what

In reply to: (NT) Yes it is

Marianna says about that. She has used the program longer than I have. Like I said in a previous post, MY choice and Glenn's also is to leave them UNchecked as they are in default but that is MY choice for a variety of reasons.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I left that "alone" too - I did NOT touch it :)

In reply to: I thought so Rick, I would see what

Collapse -
Advanced settings

Menu Order Cache - deletes values under the registry key HCU/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/MenuOrder

This cleans out old program entries in the Start menu.

Windows Size/Location Cache - deletes any customized sizes and locations of any program windows that you may have changed, and resets them to the default sizes/locations.

User Assist History - Removes settings for Windows Personalized Menus and most used programs in Win XP.

IIS Log Files - Remove log files for IIS (Internet Information Services), if you have it installed.

Custom Folders - removes any custom folders that you specify to be cleaned in the Options.

Of these, I have occasionally used the first 3.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
This page gives descriptions of each item......

listed on Windows tab. Suggest you download & print out to have on hand as you go through:
http://www.ccleaner.com/help/help.asp
In first section down (file cleaner) click the colored link labelled "more info" and you'll find what you need & more. Note they have a free discussion forum as well.
Personally, I haven't used anything in that section although I can tick them. Enjoy!! Happy

Collapse -
Is http://www.ccleaner.com the best registry cleaner?

In reply to: This page gives descriptions of each item......

It seems the more I learn, themore problems I have. My latest problem is constantly getting debug errors (I never had this before) and Microsoft Debug Editor comes up as the debugger. I don't know how to stop this, so I'm thinking a good registry cleaner. So now, I need to spend hours looking for the 'right' registry cleaner (and hope that this will fix this sudden problem). Any advice? Should I just go back to paper and pens? ....Joanne

Collapse -
Re: Microsoft Debug Editor

In reply to: Is http://www.ccleaner.com the best registry cleaner?

Joanne, Open Internet Explorer/Tools/Internet Options/Adbanced tab, checkmark "Disable script debugging" and uncheck "Display a notification about every script error", click Apply/OK.

Tufenuf

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.