Laptops forum

General discussion

***Questions about Toshiba M40/M45***

by Tech_Girl / February 27, 2005 6:23 AM PST

Hey, I am looking in to possibly buying the M40 (M45 in the US), and I have a few questions:

1. How long of a battery life can you get out of it when you're using battery save mode? I've heard some people get 3-4 hrs. out of the battery while others only get an hour and a half.

2. How is the fan/hard drive noise? I have heard of some people experiencing a squealing noise with this laptop.

3. Does the M40 have the same freezing up problems as the A70 and A75? (I bought an A70 awhile ago but returned it because of freezing).

4. How is this laptop temperature wise? Is it cool enough to keep on your lap for extended periods of time?

5. Any other things worth mentioning.

Thanks a bunch. This will really help me out.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ***Questions about Toshiba M40/M45***
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ***Questions about Toshiba M40/M45***
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Time varies.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2005 6:32 AM PST

For instance, a gamer would get the lower 1 to 1.5 hours. A person playing a DVD and the screen brightness pulled back would hit the 4 hour mark. It all depends on usage.

What to do? Get more AmpHours in the battery if this is an issue.

About temperature. DESKTOP REPLACEMENT LAPTOPS are bad for lap use. Don't do that!

Bob

Collapse -
Wondering
by Tech_Girl / February 27, 2005 8:55 AM PST
In reply to: Time varies.

Do you own an M40/M45?

Collapse -
Just a consultant.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2005 9:05 AM PST
In reply to: Wondering

I see far too many models every month. Given Toshiba's current design glitch, I wouldn't touch one under mid-year.

Bob

Collapse -
Are you
by Tech_Girl / February 27, 2005 9:54 AM PST
In reply to: Just a consultant.

a technician for Toshiba? How many of the M40s do you see every month, and what is wrong with them (ie: lockups/rebooting)?

Do you think that the problems with this model will be resolved over time? I don't need a laptop right away. I will need it before this fall.

Thanks a lot.

Collapse -
Just two so far.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2005 10:33 AM PST
In reply to: Are you

I am not a technician, but an embedded controls designer. With the PC going into embedded designs, my electronics and programming background is useful in this discussion. As well as the wide variety of machines i see daily.

The Toshiba glitch will likely be a far away memory by fall. What else will happen is this model will be replaced by something else.

When analysing models with such a long view you'll have to look to past history about how long models stick around.

Bob

Collapse -
M45 display brightness control
by raymundo.bap / January 25, 2009 1:18 AM PST
In reply to: Just two so far.

Hi there,

I recently had to replace the HD of my toshiba M45 laptop. Since I lost the restoration CD, I am having to install the operating system from scratch. I installed windows XP and all toshiba drivers & software I found in the toshibe site. Most of the things work smoothly. The only problem is that the Fn+F6/F7 keys that control the display brightness do not work. It seems the corresponding software is missing from my reintallation. I already installed the toshiba utilities for M45 (accessibility, fn-esse, power saver, toshiba assist & pc diagnostic tool) but it was not enough. Any idea of what files/drivers/software do I need to install to have these keys working again?

Thanks in advance,

Collapse -
This is exactly why
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2009 1:30 AM PST
Collapse -
well
by raymundo.bap / January 25, 2009 7:08 AM PST
In reply to: This is exactly why

thanks a lot anyway. I better start searching for the restoration cd again.

Collapse -
I have one
by 639999 / March 1, 2005 2:10 AM PST
In reply to: Wondering

I have the m45-s331 the battery on average running decent power saving mode is about 2 1/2 hrs however Ive also gone 4 hrs pulling back all unecessary processes and low screen brightness which still works well. Overall I highly recommend it fan noise is unnoticeable only thing that makes noise is the dvd drive which is normal since dvds spin faster anyways however toshiba has a drive silencer program that slows it down to reduce noise at expense ofslower data transfer rate. Heat wise it sits on my lap at home for hours at a time and no bothersome. The sound is great too not too bad for a pair of nickel sized speakers.
If your getting the M40 canadian version you get a nvidia video card if you get the m45 us version you get intel graphics media accelerator 900 128mb card
if you are getting the m45 to get a extra 256mb ram to put in as the m45 is 128mb shared video memory the extra ram will make up for this

hope this helps feel free to msg me with n e questions

Collapse -
Thanks
by Tech_Girl / March 2, 2005 4:45 AM PST
In reply to: I have one

Thanks a lot for your imput. When you get 4 hrs out of the battery, how far do you put the screen brightness down? Also by lowering the processes, such as the processor speed, do you notice a difference in the speed etc. of the laptop? Thanks.

Collapse -
no problamo
by 639999 / March 3, 2005 3:00 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks

brightness is all the way down but however its still bright as opposed to other lap tops once u are used the the laptop itself youll notice a difference personally within your laptop. put it this way the m45 at its lowest setting is better than my compaq 2200 at its highest setting, you cant control your processor speed its not clockable Sad sorry to confuse you. by processes i meant applications running in background that continuously use the processor etc...for best dvd playback the m45 uses a program which is a linux program on a seperate partition actually, it allows you to put in a dvd in the drive and boot it up without using your your whole pc in other words u can use it as a portable dvd player without booting up windows thats how i get the most dvd playback outta my m45 since i dont use the processor n all to play dvds

Collapse -
M40 answers
by dexarouskies / March 14, 2005 8:16 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

I have had an M40 for 2 days now, but I've learned more in those days of coarse than most of the reading that I've done. You can turn down the screen brightness just by letting the M40 do it automatically in stages, as the battery loses power, or you can just hit the fn+F6 key to turn down the brightness with a function key, or hit the fn+F7 key to make it brighter.

The manual for this computer is a bit flakey, but you get that with these sorts of products, where it looks like it was written by someone with grade 3 English skills, and who also doesn't really know the product.

In the manual, it warns you not to charge the battery longer than fully recharged status, but in another place, the say that once it glows blue it indicated full charge, and it won't continue to charge with the DC-in connected to the AC transformer. In another part of the manual, it talks about it glowing green, when in fact, the indicator light never ever glows green. It glows amber and blue, but not green. Really I'm left not knowing whether or not I'm damaging my battery by leaving it plugged in and off to charge when the battery is fully charged. If it does damage the battery, then it is a significant flaw in my opinion, since then you sort of have to babysit the battery, and I would like to be able to put in on charge and then go to bed for the night, and leave it charge until morning, so that I have a full charge in the morning. Since it can charge in 3 hours, I don't like the idea of having to wake up at 3AM to unplug the computer, as I have done. I was VERY annoyed by this STUPID flaw, if in fact this is what has to be done.

Because if you want to save your battery, and you have it plugged in AC, then you shouldn't expect it to be damaging your battery, or trying to charge it. The battery indicator will glow blue, and the manual says that it won't charge. The manual also says that when it glows blue and the computer is off but plugged in that it should glow blue, and there will be no charge. So it seems somehow that the manual is contradicting itself on this important issue. That's my main complaint with this computer.

Collapse -
Great laptop
by Bueller / March 8, 2005 2:35 AM PST

I've got the M40, had it for about 3 weeks now. Runs great. It's quiet, I haven't heard the squealing noise that you mention, the battery life is 2.5 hours plus, though I'm sure that could be extended by really running bare bones, and temp hasn't been an issue. As for freezing, I've been using it both for work and gaming, and haven't had a problem yet. All in all, I highly recommend this laptop.

Collapse -
I want an M40
by noise_watch / March 13, 2005 2:10 AM PST
In reply to: Great laptop

hey, you said you've used yours for gaming? what vids have you ran on it? World Of Warcraft? Doom 3? Half-Life 2?

another thing I was wondering was, is the 54G wirless networking fast enough to play an online game like WoW or Counter-Strike Source?

does the dual-layer DVD drive work well?

Collapse -
Looks nice.
by Bueller / March 23, 2005 6:03 AM PST
In reply to: I want an M40

As for gaming, just to put it through its paces, I've been trying some of the latest demos. I spent the money on the PC so now saving for a few games, but it runs the NFSU2 Demo with everything on, at native 1280x800 and its smooth as anything.

As for the wireless, shouldn't be a problem, if you've got a good signal. It would be limited by your internet connection anyways, with most broadband connections being between 3 and 5 Mbps.

As for the DVD, I haven't really used it a whole lot, more just a test here and there, but haven't used the writing capabilities. But if it runs as well as the rest of the laptop does, I don't think it'll be a problem.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?