HolidayBuyer's Guide

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Questions about PRISM, Windows 8, and 7.

by ceasarandbreeze / August 9, 2013 12:52 AM PDT
NOTE: I'm not a cybercriminal. If you must label me, call me a common person seeking privacy and protection. There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with the government. btw I'm not a terrorist either- I know that sounded suspicious so I'm just clearing that up.
EXPLAINATION: I recently purchased a new computer and knowing a little bit about Windows 8 and the NSA's PRISM stuff, I wanted to switch from Windows 8 to a different OS. I don't like the fact that I'm vulnerable to a corrupt government (I'm sure you understand what I'm talking about- it's popular with us internet users) so I've decided to physically remove my HDD and just boot everything from a 64GB USB flash drive 2.0. I'm not asking how to do that, I just wanted some advice on the OS I choose.
I was going to go with a Linux distro (LMDE) because it's somewhat secure and easy to use. I was going to do this on one flash drive and then have another on a different flash drive. That's just for what is not compatible with LMDE- like Unity (the game development stuff). I know some things can be made compatible with Linux but I think that's only Ubuntu which isn't what I'm looking for.
I know Unity is compatible with Windows and Apple (but don't care much for Apple). So I decided on a Windows OS- but not Windows 8 which I hate- because of PRISM and because the Start Menu is annoying and frustrating.
BASICALLY, I assume Windows is still okay if you use an "ancestor" of Windows 8- like Windows 7. Just because where Win 8 is like a dream-OS for the government and it's waaay different than Win 7, gov. surveillance must not be as big of a problem in Win 7. Does anyone have any advice/opinions?
It's just so I can use stuff not compatible with LMDE but still feel as comfortable as possible.
The cool thing about two storage devices in this way is I (not only have more storage room) but can boot off whatever one I need. It's more secure also in the fact that they're portable therefore harder to snoop through if I'm gone- because they're gone too!
Sorry about the poorly organized post. I tend to have a hard time explaining things.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Questions about PRISM, Windows 8, and 7.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Questions about PRISM, Windows 8, and 7.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So why didn't you use a router with a firewall instead.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 9, 2013 12:58 AM PDT

That way you can only allow what you want out. Your post tells me you are upset about all the news and this may upset you but your reaction looks like the knee-jerk rather than using your PC as you wish.

Why not install the usual firewall and get back to work or play?

In parting read this link -> http://xkcd.com/1223/
Bob

Collapse -
Why do you think Win 8 is LESS secure than 7?
by wpgwpg / August 9, 2013 1:05 AM PDT

Everything I've read about Windows 8 says it's MORE secure than Windows 7, so I don't understand why you think it's less secure. Have you tried Classic Start for Windows 8? It makes it look and feel pretty much like earlier versions of Windows. After all Windows 8 is basically a new user interface on top of a Windows 7 base.
If you're looking for a Linux distro other than Ubuntu, I'd recommend Mint. It has a user interface very similar to that of Windows.
`
Good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.