TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Questions about dropping prices & the best HDTV w/ a budget

by teh_blake / August 19, 2006 10:27 AM PDT

Ok, I have been (exhaustively) researching over and over the TV I would like, and constantly searching deal sites looking for the right tv at the right price.

My first question is about the constantly falling prices of LCD's. I keep checking in on them, and TV's or monitors, seem to be dropping a good bit about every 2 weeks or so, though I think it has slowed a bit. The question is, does anyone have an idea of where they will probably bottom out? Also, since I am on a budget, should I wait until Labor Day or the day after Thanksgiving and see what kind of sales come out then? (Waiting that long could kill me! Wink )

Question 2: I am thinking I am going to have to settle for 720p or 1080i, as I don't think I will be able to get anywhere near 1080p on my budget, and personally, I don't think there will be much use for it anytime soon for me, but thats another issue.

Anyway, I am looking to spend around 1000 - 1200. All of my searching constantly brings me back to Samsung DLP's in the area of about 46 - 50 inches. A friend of mine has a 50" and it was just beautiful, and he purchased his over a year ago. Any other recommendations?

Philips is offering a deal on their 42PF7220A/37B, a 40" plasma thats reallllllly got me itching...but I am worried about burn in, as I will use it for PC and Console games a good bit.

Thanks for your time, sorry for the long post!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Questions about dropping prices & the best HDTV w/ a budget
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Questions about dropping prices & the best HDTV w/ a budget
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds like
by kena10 / August 20, 2006 4:23 AM PDT

You would do better with a RPTV.

Collapse -
The Samsung d.l.p. 1080I set would be a great choice
by stewart norrie / August 20, 2006 9:14 AM PDT

I would not worry about 1080P. You will have a picture as good as a movie theater with 1080I I would add make sure you get a hi-def sat or cable system and at least get the basic hi-def package. Your going to love the great programming on Discovery h.d. theater c.net. c.net movies t.n.t. etc. and make sure you use a d.v.i. or h.d.m.i. cable good luck to you stewee

Collapse -
Samsung DLP 1080i is definitely what I think I'm going with
by teh_blake / August 20, 2006 2:58 PM PDT

I do think that the Samsung's are what I am going to go with...I just fell in love with them. They seem to be the ones that always catch my eye at the store, and my friend's just had my oggling for hours.

I definitely plan on getting the Hi-Def package for the TV, as well as the DVR. I am pretty excited about my plans for it.

Once I get it, I plan to get rid of my CRT monitor, and the horrible desk that clutters my living room (I live in an apt), and will then just relocate my pc over to the TV side of the room, hook it up and get a wireless keyboard and mouse.

Viola...life at its sweetest. (I Hope)

Collapse -
KOIL DONT FORGET THE SNACK BAR
by stewart norrie / August 21, 2006 5:53 AM PDT

I didn"t buy the Samsung but I did buy a d.l.p. set Just make sure you use h.d.m.i. cables from your dish system and d.v.d player I say this only because I used componit cables from my old d.v.d. player and picture quality was nasty until I bought a Denon 2910/955 player with h.d.m.i. output, my Amp had no h.d.m.i. switching so I used optical audio to the amp and that worked out great have a nice day stewee

Collapse -
Why?
by timetogolf / August 21, 2006 10:51 PM PDT

This is the one thing I don't understand why get a great hd dlp set only to use it for a pc monitor and decrease the life of your bulb. 17" LCD pc monitores are under $200 now and even some 19". What you save on buying new bulbs for a pc monitor pays for a sweet lcd monitor.

Collapse -
Sammy DLP reliability???
by NM_Bill / August 22, 2006 12:56 PM PDT

I can't speak authoritatively, just from personal experience.

It was 2 1/2 years ago I jumped into the new tech big screen with a Samsung DLP. Sure wish reliability information was easier to find. Not long after the year warranty passed two repairs to the tune of $1100!!!

To Sammy's credit the second repair was within 90 days of the first, so I called Samsung to appeal for help. Thing is their authorized repair has a 90 day warranty.

Things don't come easy as I had to follow up with Samsung customer service three times. Paperwork had been misplaced. Then a higher up had to pass judgment. The old polite but firm bit, with a dose of persistence.

In the end I got a reimbursment of the amount of the second repair. My point had been that the authorized repair company should have diagnosed thoroughly the first time around, and didn't. They found the easiest repair to find and didn't follow through.

I'm pleased Samsung customer service looked favorably on me but am in the limbo of not trusting Samsung's reliability nor authorized service.

I bought without a good knowledge of what was what at that time. Hmm, if I had it to do with hindsight? Well, tech is a moving target.

Collapse -
Very reliable
by dukelover79 / August 23, 2006 2:41 AM PDT

Everyone has different experiences. I bought 2 Samsung DLP's 2 years ago (July 2004) and I have not had any problems what so ever. They are both going strong to this day.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?