Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Questions about digital camcorders :)

by metalhead152 / November 1, 2004 1:32 PM PST

Hi Im new to this camcorder thing and I was thinking about buying one, however there are quite a few questions I have about them:)(Im not technology impaired, I know lots of terms and words so if you know them use em) :)Here are my questions in a nice orderly fashion Happy

1- Whats a good brand and a price to pay for a decent one?

2- Whats the Diverernce between Hi-8 and Mini DV?

3-Can you burn either Hi-8 and Mini DV onto a Vcd or Dvd?

4- How long can one record on a single Mini Dv or Hi-8? (depending on quality or what?

5- Can you download the content to a computer(special software or not)?

6- If you can to number 5 does it record it as an MPEG or .avi or what?

7- Can you edit them in Adobe premier or other video editting software?

Thats it, if I think of any other's I will let you know.
Thanks for your help:)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Questions about digital camcorders :)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Questions about digital camcorders :)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Questions about digital camcorders :)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2004 12:03 AM PST

All good questions and ignore my litte red m. I'm going to share my experiences.

1- Whats a good brand and a price to pay for a decent one?

I paid 369 for a JVC GR-DV500U refurbed by JVC. It's very nice for that price. I like the Sony TRV models too, but this was a steal.

2- Whats the Diverernce between Hi-8 and Mini DV?

Read http://www.adamwilt.com/DV-Hi8.html

3-Can you burn either Hi-8 and Mini DV onto a Vcd or Dvd?

My last Hi-8 didn't have a digital link so quality suffered as I captured it. I won't buy another Hi-8. Both could be put on VCD/DVD.

4- How long can one record on a single Mini Dv or Hi-8? (depending on quality or what?

My Mini-DV is 60 minutes. My old Hi-8 was same, but the battery always ran out.

5- Can you download the content to a computer(special software or not)?

Yes.

6- If you can to number 5 does it record it as an MPEG or .avi or what?

My choice. I use Virtual Dub to transcode it if I want. Its a free piece of software which I use, note and will not offer any support for.

7- Can you edit them in Adobe premier or other video editting software?

Yes. I use Virtual Dub, Ulead, MyDVD and other software. I don't have Premiere since it's more money than I wish to expend on my videos.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Questions about digital camcorders :)
by frankzxcv / November 4, 2004 2:30 AM PST

my 2 cents,

I have a sony trv 38 and I like it a lot. it's higher end, about $800 or so i think. I would skip hi8, minidv is so good. tapes are 60 min., you can do 90 minute recording on lower res, also there are miniDV 80 minute tapes which on lo res would go to 120min.

I use adobe premiere 6.5 to capture (via a firewire) and edit. you can get copies of it for 100-200 on ebay. Premiere will convert captured/ edited video to just about any format, like wmv for the web. burning DVD's is easy. note if you can get an old unregistered copy of premiere 5.0 and register it to yourself, you can get an upgrade to premiere pro for 200 new.

Note the premiere software is fab BUT it's a learning curve, lots of stuff to know but can do anything.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!