Samsung forum

General discussion

Question: Response Times, General LN46A950

by angevinedb2 / May 28, 2009 9:09 AM PDT

Soon, I am planning to purchase a television and have been narrowing down my choices, quite sure on a few models by Samsung.

I have a few issues however.

I am wondering how response times are measured for Samsung models, particularly for the LN46A950. I understand what response time is, I think anyway, but perhaps not, and I know that this particular model is clocked at 4ms. But this number is meaningless to me because of the context.

Is this measurement taken with all post processing turned on? Is it done with only some of them turned on? Or is it minimalistic as in, this is the maximum response time the television is capable of with all processing effects turned off or low? I plan to play games primarily on the set, and am also concerned about the Local Dimming effect taking some kind of toll on the response time as well. I have heard that 8ms is acceptable for games, and am wondering if I can expect this, at least, or better yet the quoted number for the set with Local Dimming turned on, or if I will have to turn most things off and play with the bare image, 3000:1 contrast ratio instead. This is important to me because I do not want to purchase the television if I cannot reap the benefits which up its price tag. I have heard with other LCDs, the processing effects must be primarily turned off or else there will be unacceptable amounts of lag, unsure on if these are simply nitpicks or if there really is some debilitating flaw in the picture which causes ghosting or something, and that this is why there is a Game mode. I couldn't find the specifics for the Game mode of the LN46A950 and so don't know if this setting includes the local dimming, and if the other processing effects, which might be pertinent or enticing to pretty up the picture for a video game, would harm, inconvenience, or destroy my experience with it.

I very much appreciate you time on this issue.

Dustin

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Question: Response Times, General LN46A950
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Question: Response Times, General LN46A950
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Question: Response Times, General LN46A950
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 28, 2009 10:25 AM PDT

angevinedb2,

I'm not sure I can answer how response times are measured - it's done internally. For what it's worth, those specifications have to go through a lengthy process to exist - and that's what we rate the panels at.

While processing may cause a "lag", this is true with any processing on any television. The purpose of the processing is to improve the picture, and doing that can result in varying degress of "lag", and depending on the game and/or user, could be insigificant, or very significant. I have seen some of what some people might call "nitpicks", but I think it's legitimate if it's affecting the gameplay - and the reality is that improving the picture requires processing, which requires time.

Game Mode does reduce a lot of the processing, but there is still an upconversion to 1080p (regardless of the signal) and to the Hz of the panel, in this case, 120Hz. I simply don't have a mathematical breakdown of each processor, or how long it takes to do what.

So here's what I would suggest - take your game station in the store and try it out on the store's display. See if it offers the response time you want with the game you think will be most taxing. Even if I did have all the numbers, at the end of the day, you'll want to know if the panel will do what you want it to do. It's impossible for me to confirm or deny if it will work for you.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thank You
by angevinedb2 / May 28, 2009 1:19 PM PDT

Thank you very much for the response. Appreciate your time, and I think I will do what you suggest.

Dustin

Collapse -
Thank You
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 29, 2009 7:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank You

angevinedb2,

Let me know what you think if you do that.

I know it's a little unconventional to suggest that, but I wouldn't buy a car before test driving it, and I wouldn't buy a TV without trying out what I really want to do with it. Some salespeople may give you a raised eyebrow, but if you really want to know if the TV will meet your needs, they'll usually allow (and maybe assist, if they're good) your investigation.

They don't want the unit returned either, and will usually oblige.

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?