Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Question re: Rec. cache settings for IE 5.5 in int. options

by tobeach / May 6, 2004 3:33 PM PDT

Considered asking in newbies but thought maybe OS specific.
W98SE w/ IE 5.5 SP2, P3, 256,40gigs, 92%free (13 processes)on boot up.
In internet options>settings> Amount of disc space for IE to use. If one doesn't dwnload large music or video files, what would be the recommended amt of space to indicate so as to maximize the speed of opening start pages at sites on net? Also considering off line content? (C-net in particular, aware of situation, but even back button takes minutes to load) Is it possible that C-net opening page at AV-Sec. has too much data to initially dwnld for the cache size? Possibly 98 's cache (small)?
As general principle is it better to keep the amount low for faster flow thru or large to take page in 1 gulp?? I've never really understood the principle involved. Thanks for rec. and insight!! Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Question re: Rec. cache settings for IE 5.5 in int. options
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Question re: Rec. cache settings for IE 5.5 in int. options
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Question re: Rec. cache settings for IE 5.5 in int. options

I've got it set to minimal (slider to the left) which is 30 Mb. Quite a lot, in fact. If you have Zonealarm, you can see how many bytes download during a typical Internet session. But on a 40 Gb disk, it wouldn't harm to have more (256 Mb is enough to index it in the RAM).

If you set the options to never check for a newer page, or 'automatically' (don't know what it means) it will be faster then 'every visit to the page'.

And I've got the feeling that addresses with a ? in them (like the cnet-pages) are always renewed. But I'm not even sure of that.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Question re: Rec. cache settings for IE 5.5 in int. options/ Thanks All!!
by tobeach / May 11, 2004 4:57 PM PDT

Thanks, Kees! Have set lower than previously. Far left on mine is 1mb.I did have set to "check for new pages each time I launch internet browser" (can always hit "refresh" button) but have now set to "automatically'. Noted after doing this my reg cleaner listed as "New" : VB & VBA program settings. Don't know if this related to change (Virtual Basic/ Virtual Basic Auto?). Decided I'd try it after Cursor cowboys links.
I am aware of breach in 5.5 and am still staring at MS security CD with trepidation after seeing about a dozen MORE sec. patches needed after disc! Initally got disc cause couldn't dwnld. patch cause of error "F" on my machine giving impression "special 98 (full)" cd needed but after telephoning MSCan tech and after he said" we only have 1 cd to use on all systems" I start to wonder as update is constantly suggesting I need dozens of upgrades, 80 % of which are not even applicable for 98 (SE)! Hmm... Happy

Collapse -
Constant updates. Who will win?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 11, 2004 9:08 PM PDT

If you look closely at Windows Update, there's a way to tell it never to bother you with some updates if you think they are not needed.

Right or wrong, part of the cause for this is the privacy aspect. The ballyhoo about what Microsoft may see about your machine lead to a dumbing down of WU. In no uncertain words, we got what we asked for. There's also another problem. How old is this OS?

The lesson is still being learned about security updates in the NT/2000/XP/2003 OSes. Most likely 1 person or more a minute from what I see.

While you may not have an issue now, the people who write the exploits are working on a new one and you are delaying installing patches.

Who will win?

Collapse -
Re:Question re: Rec. cache settings for IE 5.5 in int. options

1. The Temporary Internet Files (TIF) aka "browser caches" and what it contains are files which a user should not theoretically concern themselves with. Certain files are stored by default from sites visited whether you want them to or not. Each time a site is accessed, and there is a need to display certain information, IE looks in the TIF first to see if it's already there and if so, it is then displayed making things a little faster. Otherwise, the information necessary to display a page properly is download again for viewing as well as storing it in the TIF for subsequent use.

2. Files stored in the TIF theoretically have a rollover based on the set percentage but does not apply to Cookie files. An algorithms is supposed to takes place called "FIFO" (first in/first out) and supposed to remove oldest file as newer files are downloaded thus retaining the set usage percentage -- but doesn't always happen. I suspect that in most instances the reason is because the hidden Index.dat file has become corrupted either through software faults or users having deleted files or folders directly instead of using the appropriate browser options.

3. Since in my opinion, trying to personally control this is like sitting on the beach with a gallon bucket and trying to empty the ocean. Set a percentage to something reasonable (click Tools, Internet Options and on the General tab, click Settings and in the Temporary Internet files section, use the odometer to select a reasonable setting in megabytes of hard drive space), [Temporary Internet Files Use More Disk Space Than Specified (Q301057)].

Collapse -
Part II
Collapse -
IE 5.5 is explortable. You need to know this!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 6, 2004 11:02 PM PDT

I'll insert references as I write.

Right or wrong, your feelings good or bad about being forced to upgrade or risk it all, IE 5.5 and prior versions suffered a fatal blow when code leaked from Microsoft as you can research at

This code leak enabled exploits to be crafted (now many in number) that can give the exploiter total control over your machine and do what they want. There is NO PATCH for this issue. You may scream all you want, but you and others that run IE 5.5 and prior are at risk. Here's just one of the example exploits ->
"Microsoft Internet Explorer Integer Overflow in Processing Bitmap Files Lets Remote Users Execute Arbitrary Code"

As such, it's up to you to decide what you want to do next, but given some hostile web site or email (OE suffers the same issue) can without notice delete all that's on your hard disk, its best to use such dangerous versions with the knowledge of the risk.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?