Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Question on Windows Defender

by auggief / March 1, 2007 5:04 PM PST

Calendar of Updates yesterday had an update for Windows Defender, WD Version 1.1.1593.0,Eng. Version 1.1.2204.0 and Definition Vrsion 1.15.2329.4.
When I updated I got the correct Eng and Definition versions but instead of getting Windows Defender version 1.1.1593.0 I still had 1.1.1505.0. When I tried to update again it said I was up to date and a statement that Windows Defender came with vista.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Question on Windows Defender
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Question on Windows Defender
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Vista & Windows Defender
by Donna Buenaventura / March 1, 2007 5:31 PM PST

That is also what I have in my Vista auggie. Windows Defender version 1.1.1505.0 is for Vista

Windows Defender v1.1.1593.0 is for XP users.

Collapse -
Muchas gratias
by auggief / March 1, 2007 6:21 PM PST

You are the greatest. Are you getting used to Vista. I made a post that you saw for others who might have been trying to find the Run function.

Collapse -
You're welcome Auggie
by Donna Buenaventura / March 1, 2007 7:04 PM PST
In reply to: Muchas gratias

Yes, I just finish reading your post about the run command and made a reply.

Yes, I'm used to Vista now. Been using since it is in development stage (alpha, beta, and now the RTM).
Not much application for Vista during early stage but now, there are many Happy
I didn't have to buy a new desktop to install Vista. My 3 year old desktop is Vista-capable and I scored 4.2! Grin

Collapse -
Base score for me is only 3.0
by auggief / March 1, 2007 7:14 PM PST
In reply to: You're welcome Auggie

I bought a new Dell. Here is what I get:

Processor 3.8
Memory(RAM) 4.5
Grapics 3.1
Gaming Graphics 3.0
Primary Hard Disk 5.3
This gives me a base score of 3.0

Collapse -
That's expected score for Premium
by Donna Buenaventura / March 1, 2007 7:33 PM PST

unless you'll upgrade the graphics card, you'll get higher score on that new Dell machine.

My 3 year old desktop:
Processor 4.2
Memory(RAM) 4.4
Grapics 4.4
Gaming Graphics 4.7
Primary Hard Disk 4.8 but now it is 5.2 because I replaced the hard-drive to bigger one Happy
This gives me a base score of 4.2
Previously, this 3 year old desktop scored 1.0 only Grin but I changed the graphics card and viola! I got 4.2.

Collapse -
Thanks for info Donna
by auggief / March 1, 2007 10:46 PM PST

My new Dell computer has a NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Integrated Graphics GPU card. It seems adequate for what I use the comuter for. The only problem I am haaving is with the AERO program that comes with Vista Premium. I have been in contact with Dell and they said they would need to get with Microsoft and get back to me.Even though Aero is there it doesn't do the features such as tranparancy, multiple screens etc.

Collapse -
Could be a driver+software issue only
by Donna Buenaventura / March 2, 2007 5:04 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks for info Donna

Maybe they just need to update the OEM-graphics card software/driver so the Aero 3d-flip, Windos Switcher will work.

Good luck on that. If they can't solve the problem, you can take advantage of 30days exchange for a new one (aka known satisfaction warranty). I don't know if that's apply to all Dell shop.

Yes, the score 3.0 and the graphics card should be more than enough to run the AERO features. No need to upgrade since that is new and I think integrated is not upgradable. I'm not sure on this one.

Collapse -
Question about the score you posted.
by andyfz-206490987818972554 / March 4, 2007 11:30 PM PST
In reply to: You're welcome Auggie

Hello Donna,

How does one determine their score and is it applicable only to computers with Vista installed. Just trying to pick your brain. Thanksmuch.

Andy Z

Collapse -
Properties of "my computer"
by Donna Buenaventura / March 5, 2007 3:31 AM PST

Hi,
Just bring up the properties of "My Computer"
Click "Windows Experience Index" to view the score. You may refresh the score too if you installed new driver that affects the rating.

Or open "Welcome Center" of Vista. Click more details for "My Computer".

Vista forum here in CNET at:
http://forums.cnet.com/5204-12546_102-0.html?forumID=133&tag=dir.forum&tag=dir.forum
(in case you need more help in Vista) Happy

If you don't have Vista yet or plan to upgrade, you can use the Vista Upgrade Advisor to see if your PC is Vista-capable:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/upgradeadvisor/

Collapse -
No score available
by andyfz-206490987818972554 / March 6, 2007 5:32 AM PST

Thank you Donna, for your prompt and insightful response. Kudos to you for the excellent answer to my question. I don't have VISTA so I used the link you provided to download and install the Upgrade Advisor. This was a good exercise, although I had to do it 3 times because of the requirements of having to have other downloads installed, such as Microsoft.Net.Framework. I finally did the scan and found out that my computer cannot handle VISTA, and so no "score" was available. This has saved me much grief by knowing it before I went and bought the upgrade from Windows xp Home edition. In order to use VISTA I will have to purchase a new computer, which will no doubt have VISTA installed already.

Thanks again for your kindness & thoroughness of the info, & may God bless you always.

Andy Z

Collapse -
You're welcome Andy! No rush on Vista.
by Donna Buenaventura / March 6, 2007 7:58 AM PST
In reply to: No score available

Microsoft will still support Windows XP until April 14, 2009 (mainstream support) and until April 8, 2014 (extended support) so no rush for Vista unless you really want Vista or a new PC with Vista Happy

BTW, Upgrade Advisor will not show any score. It will only tell if your PC is capable running any edition of Vista or if you only need to change few things to run an edition of Vista e.g. changing the CD-ROM to DVD-ROM, change graphics card etc.

Sorry that I failed to mention the system requirements in running the upgrade advisor. But for the benefit of readers, let me post it Happy :

System Requirements to install/run Vista Upgrade Advisor:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=42b5ac83-c24f-4863-a389-3ffc194924f8&displaylang=en
Supported Operating Systems: Windows XP Service Pack 2
A minimum of .NET Framework 1.1 and MSXML 4.0

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!