TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

question on stereo L/R input on sub

by tmwalsh01 / March 5, 2010 11:18 AM PST

bought an rca coax splitter and 12 ft rca run for my receiver's subwoofer out. the back of the sub (mirage ss-1000) has L/R input so I split the single line. That's the way i've always been directed to do this.
Today at work I was extolling the virtues of and the stuff i bought, but then someone asked why split it L/R? They didn't see any benefit. I got nothin for that one. Does anyone know a reason (technical or otherwise) why you'd split a mono signal into a L and R input?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: question on stereo L/R input on sub
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: question on stereo L/R input on sub
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This sounded very strange, but...
by ahtoi / March 6, 2010 1:23 AM PST

it may be we are not on the same wavelength. What do you mean by "single line"? left audio out or right audio out and is this a speaker out connection or is it a sub-woofer out?

As for the "rca coax splitter", what are you trying to do there?

Collapse -
Sub's L/R input
by tmwalsh01 / March 6, 2010 2:17 AM PST

its the subwoofer line out on the back of the receiver. Maybe 'single' wasn't the best word. I take that line, use the splitter into L/R male RCA connections, and then input that into sub's L and R input.

Collapse -
Y-Connector on Sub
by Dan Filice / March 6, 2010 6:29 AM PST
In reply to: Sub's L/R input

I connect my Infinity powered sub-woofer to my Yamaha receiver using a "Y" connector too. The RCA connections on the back of the sub-woofer are the "Low Level Inputs, which have L & R connections. It's the receiver that has a single "Mono" Low Level Sub-Woofer Output, so to connect that to the sub-woofer requires a Y-Connector with RCA plugs. It's a combination of your sub-woofer being a powered sub and your receiver that determines the need for the "Y" connector. On my Yamaha, the low bass signals from the main, center and rear channels are directed to this single jack, which on my receiver, has a cut-off frequency of 90 Hz. The LFE (Low Frequency Effect) signals are generated when Dolby Digital or DTS discs are encoded with this LFE signal which are decoded and directed to this single jack on the receiver. When the LFE signals go to my sub, the amp in the sub then amplifies these low frequencies instead of overloading the receiver. The low bass signals are very demanding on any amp, which was the whole idea of making powered sub-woofers. I believe the High Level Input connections on the sub are used when a receiver does not have the LFE low-level jack which is intended for a powered sub.

Collapse -
This sounds kind complicated.
by ahtoi / March 6, 2010 4:45 PM PST
In reply to: Y-Connector on Sub

Hope it was cover in the manual. My logic probably wouldn't think in such a way. So why the hick don't they provide some jumpers system instead? or maybe I just haven't got it, hehe. But I will keep this post in mind when I change my old system, thanks.

Collapse -
Kinda complicated
by Dan Filice / March 7, 2010 1:58 AM PST

Yes, it's complicated, but i was quoting most of my response directly from both the Infinity Powered Sub manual as well as the Yamaha manual. Don't forget, low frequency is non-directional, so there really is no need to have a true Left-Right split at that frequency, and the LFE signal that is encoded into DD and DTS discs goes is intended to be sent to a powered sub-woofer to allow it to process and amplify the frequency. As mentioned, receivers get overtaxed when they try to process the low frequency signals, which is why powered sub-woofers were made.

Collapse -
by tmwalsh01 / March 7, 2010 3:13 AM PST
In reply to: Kinda complicated

Appreciate the post. My setup is as yours is. A friend asked why split since they noted as you its not a true stereo input. It works. I'm happy. is great.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?