Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Question on Replacing Hard Drive under Windows XP

Hi,
I have Windows XP Sp2 installed in my laptop. I wish to replace my hard drive. I got a new hard drive and a USB enclosure. I plan to replace the hard drive by connecting the new blank harddrive in the enclosure to my laptop and copying all the files from my current HD onto the new one and then installing the new HD into my laptop. Is ths method going to work? Is there any technical isseu I am overlooking? I will appreciate any help. I don't have the XP installation CD so this is the only way I can think of replacing the hard drive.

Thanks in advance
Oniket

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Question on Replacing Hard Drive under Windows XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Question on Replacing Hard Drive under Windows XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Nope, that doesn't work.

In reply to: Question on Replacing Hard Drive under Windows XP

Look to ACRONIS to duplicate that drive.

Collapse -
Why not use the enclosure with the old hard drive,

install the new hard drive and once you have finished reinstalling everything, you can copy your informaton off the old hard drive onto the new one. Be sure to prepare no matter what you do. Have all of the program installation disks, product key numbers, drivers for your hardware and enough time to reload everything.

Collapse -
Re: Why not use the enclosure with the old hard drive

In reply to: Why not use the enclosure with the old hard drive,

You suggested I "install the new hard drive". I am not
sire what you mean by "Install" here. As I mentioned in my original post I don't have the Windows XP installation CD. Can you please explain. Thanks

Oniket

Collapse -
Just FYI. Get that XP CD or restore CD before disaster....

In reply to: Re: Why not use the enclosure with the old hard drive

Most go looking for it after XP fails.

At least you have some time to fix this issue.

Bob

Collapse -
replacing a hard drive on computer

I you have a usb box, just get a basic copy of Acronics and clone your hard drive to the new hard drive. just remember if you have errors in your os, they will be clone to the other drive.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.