Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

question on partition?

i've partitioned my C: and E: drive in NTFS at 30GB and 40GB respectively. C: is my primary storage as "My Documents" and "My Videos" and "My Pictures", basically, everything i installed on C:. Izzit possible for me to sort of merge the partition @ E: into C:? Making it only one C: drive?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: question on partition?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: question on partition?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Partition Magic does that.

In reply to: question on partition?

Collapse -
where?

In reply to: (NT) Partition Magic does that.

oh, where do i d/l it? izzit reliable and useful?

Collapse -
Try google.com

In reply to: where?

You'll find it in a flash.

Bob

Collapse -
Just a suggestion

back up all data you cannot afford to lose

Collapse -
file pointers

You may have to change file pointers for those programs that pointed to the E: drive since they now will be labeled under to C: drive.

Jack

Collapse -
huh?

In reply to: file pointers

how to?

Collapse -
OK... here's how it works...

In reply to: huh?

When you install new programs most install managers will ask you to verify where the program files (usually c:/Program Files) should be placed. I might never install program files in any other folder but I might put all my photos processed in Photoshop in E:My Photos\Whatever. If you merge your files to be on just the one drive, Photoshop won't know where to get photos since the "pointer" to E:\My Photos\Whatever no longer exists. Is that a better explanation?? I apologize, I should have made it clearer.

Concerning the merge.. I know there is a procedure to merge two partitions on one drive as a single partition but I can't remember where I saw it...sorry. Perhaps there is someone else on these forums that can help you.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
help...

In reply to: OK... here's how it works...

o ok... thanks jack! anyone care to share how to convert the 2 partitions of C: and E: into just one partition: C:?

Collapse -
That would be...

In reply to: help...

Something PARTITION MAGIC could do with ease. Use google.com to find where and what this software is and what it does.

Cheers,

Bob

Collapse -
As Bob already mentioned...

In reply to: help...

Partition Magic 8.XX will do the merge partition without lossing data.

and

as Jackintuson mentioned, Partition does have a feature called ''DriveMapper'' which will cope that problem.

BTW, it's not free you have to purchase it go to http://www.symantec.com/partitionmagic/ for more detail.

Regards,

Collapse -
See...???

In reply to: As Bob already mentioned...

Working together, we CAN come up with good answers. Thanks Bob and Frank.

Jack

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) It's called "TEAM WORK" :-)

In reply to: See...???

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.