Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

question on free antivirus scans

by Rfk112025 / February 5, 2006 3:26 AM PST

It was recommended to me to use a free online virus scan to double check the results of the antivirus program I have already have installed. My question is, when I run the free scan, must I turn off the antivirus software I have already?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: question on free antivirus scans
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: question on free antivirus scans
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
question on free antivirus scans
by Bob__B / February 5, 2006 4:04 AM PST

I have not found that to be the case.

I suppose the bottom line is try the online scan with your AV enabled.....if they get themselves twisted then you'll have your answer.

Collapse -
RFK, Which Type Of Free Scan? Online or Installed?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 5, 2006 4:05 AM PST

Generally, it's a good idea to disable your current antivirus scanner when running other scanners but with "Online" scanners it's not as critical. Disabling the onboard scanner should prevent "conflicts" from occuring. Online scanners tend to run even if the onboard antivirus is running, although they usually run slower. On the other hand, if you've "installed" a secondary antivirus program, then I would make sure to disable your current antivirus.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
by Rfk112025 / February 6, 2006 3:15 AM PST

Just wanted to thank you both for getting back to me. Much appreciated.

Collapse -
Be wary of some....
by skycatcher / February 9, 2006 6:13 PM PST

Some are spies themselves so please only use reputable ones.

I think the http://www.trendmicro.com free virus, spyware, malware scan (Housecall) can't be beaten. Unless someone out there know different...!

I've used this with Sophos and AVG running (but not both installed at the sane time). Also had Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D running at the same time as my AV and never had a conflict with Housecall.

Collapse -
free vs pay
by sharee100 / February 9, 2006 8:52 PM PST
In reply to: Be wary of some....

Which antivirus software do you recommend? I have had Norton for 6 years. The price has gotten to the "I think it's too high" point.

Collapse -
Free vs Pay
by GinaPA / February 10, 2006 12:54 AM PST
In reply to: free vs pay

I would highly recommend Avast. I have been using it for quite some time now after learning that even their free version did just as good as, and even beat out, the big name software. They update OFTEN--usually every day or every other day, which is more than most programs do from what I read. AVG is another good free program. I had used that for awhile until I read that they recently began cutting some corners on their free version in favor of concentrating on their paid version.

Hope this helps.......Gina

Collapse -
FREE VS PAY
by sharee100 / February 10, 2006 6:30 AM PST
In reply to: Free vs Pay

That's what I had heard about AVG. I'll go check out the other one . Thanks.

Collapse -
Pay is probably better but.....
by skycatcher / February 10, 2006 7:39 PM PST
In reply to: FREE VS PAY

you need to avoid Norton. Norton is very good at finding viruses but it will halve the speed of your PC. Mcafee (who bought out the legendary Dr Solomon's) is very good, as are Tend Micro's 'PCcillin'. I had problems with Avast - their free version kept telling me to upgrade to the pay version.

I guess the best of all is Sophos but it's not sold for individual users - I think the smallest package is for 5 users and then it's very competitively priced. It is industrial standard, very small and very fast, free email warnings, auto-update on the hour (or whatever you set it to) and well worth investigating for schools and companies.

Collapse -
Avast Advertising ???
by sngledaddy / February 10, 2006 10:40 PM PST

I have been running Avast (free edition) for almost a year now and i have never ever received anything about purchasing their non-free software. Not even one e-mail has been sent to me to purchase. To me Avast has my vote as i had issues using AVG free version. I caught a java exploit and AVG would not get rid of it.
So to me Avast is number one in free anti-virus software. Then again that's my opinion

Collapse -
Avast Ad.
by standeb / February 12, 2006 3:53 AM PST
In reply to: Avast Advertising ???

Just a thought.

I also use Avast. I share the same sentiments. As grif said, It is better to turn off your primary security when using secondary security. I have never done that and will do so now.

In my opinion avast is the No.1, free security program one can find. I also use Micorsoft Service pack 2 with firewall, xofspy and Lavasoft Adaware. The all work perfectly together.

This is only my opinion.

Standeb.

Collapse -
Known conflict
by jayfin / February 11, 2006 12:51 AM PST
In reply to: Free vs Pay

Just tried to install Avast but found that there is a know compatability issue with Avast and Zone Alarm. So if you are using Zone Alarm try some other free one such as AVG by Grisoft

Collapse -
Re; Known conflict
by don1p2 / February 12, 2006 10:24 AM PST
In reply to: Known conflict

Avast only has a conflict with Zone Alarm Pro. Avast and ZA free works fine. Been using that combo for ages.

Collapse -
You are correct
by jayfin / February 18, 2006 4:32 AM PST
In reply to: Re; Known conflict

I use ZA Pro but have used ZA free software in the past but never tried it with Avast.

Collapse -
Trend Micro & AVG
by rje49 / February 11, 2006 9:50 AM PST
In reply to: Be wary of some....

I've been using AVG Free for a couple of years. There was a time when something didn't seem right, so I ran a free Trend Micro Housecall scan. Well, when it reached the AVG file(I presume) it froze. I only figured out why on the second try; I will now disable AVG if running another virus scan!
BTW, I got a new computer recently, which came w/Trend Micro, pre-installed of course. I wasn't thinking about the conflict when I installed AVG Free. Soon after, while searching websites, I hit 2 websites within half and hour and got an AVG "virus detected" at each. I sent them to the "virus vault" then asked myself where was Trend Micro???
I don't know where it was when I needed it, but I made sure it's gone now. Outta there! AVG all the way!Another BTW involves Norton, but that story is too horrible to mention.

Collapse -
Free antivirus scans
by billbirchall / February 9, 2006 9:15 PM PST

In my experience, and I use free antivirus scans periodically, I have never switched off any of my protection. One of the benefits to me is to check whether the protection I have in place is working.

Collapse -
Free antivirus software
by Yahudah1947 / February 9, 2006 9:43 PM PST

By all means, DO turn off your present software if you are just going to try out the new one. I made the mistake of forgetting to do that when I downloaded AVG (which is very good, btw), & both programs took over control of my computer, both constantly scanning & competing with each other. My computer wouldn't even bring up the desktop because of this oversight. It would continually reboot. I didn't realize what was going on at the time, & I couldn't seem to fix it on my own, so I got tech help from my internet service & he helped me find out what the problem was & walked me thru uninstalling their antivirus program (which I liked, but didn't want to pay their exorbitant price for), then I reinstalled AVG. I have used it ever since & it does a wonderful job. But let me tell you, having two antivirus programs going at once is not something you want to experience. So disable or uninstall your presence system & then install the new one. Then everything will be copasetic.

Collapse -
Double and Triple check the Privacy Policy of the Site first
by Goofy1 / February 10, 2006 9:47 AM PST

There are several "Free Scan Sites" on the net these days.
So far all of the ones I've tried, From Ecelerate on down all have some basic flaws in them ..
You have to open your Computer to the Internet and allow a Total Stranger Complete access to EVERY File and scrap of Private Info about YOU.
And given Security as it exists on the Net today, You never know who all else just might be rifling through your PC at the same time.
And then on top of that, you have to have faith that they will NOT use the info to Profile You and your Familys habits on the Internet.

Then there is the question of just how above board the Scanning Company really is.
When they scan Your PC .. Are they actually looking for ALL Instances of Spyware / Malware / Adware ???
Or are they just looking for instances of Their Competitors Spyware for deletion and leaving spyware/Malware behind that will be sending info about what you are doing on the net and Offline too, back to them the next time you logon to the net.

Remember ... Even downloading something as simple as a screensaver that catches your eye can load Spyware / Malware to your system.
Freeze is one company that uses this tactic to "Give" Free Screensavers and other desktop goodies to the Unsuspecting Public.

Now for the scenario:
You download a "Free" FREEZE Screensaver or Wallpaper.
You load it to your harddrive, and lets say that you actually read and understand each and every section of setup that shows up and you elect to to NOT have anything but the screenasver load...
Guess what?
You have just installed spyware / malware to your PC.
Now you go onto the net and have your PC scanned.
Unknown to you, the Scanning Company is in reality owned or controlled by the same company that "gave" you the "free" screensaver.
Now when they do the scan, all they eliminate is all the spyware / malware that their Competitors have on your PC and leave theirs behind to do their job.

Now you go playing on the net secure with the thought that you have just eradicated all tracking/profiling software you had on your PC, when in reality, instead of sending ALL your personal info to a bunch of companies .. you are sending it to only one or two, that Will sell the collected info to others.

So, before letting a website on the net have total unrestricted access to your PC, RESEARCH them completely.

Remember ... Once Pandora's Box was opened .. Couldn't get the things back into it.
The same applies to your PC.

Collapse -
So true......
by sngledaddy / February 10, 2006 10:49 PM PST

The ONLY free on-line scan that i feel is trutworthy would be housecall and you do not need to turn-off your other anti-virus.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?