HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Question for John Wilkinson

by bklynrickel / August 31, 2007 12:12 PM PDT

i read your update for Vista SP1.

With the advent of directX 10.1, does it mean that my current GeForce 8600 GT card will have to be replaced in favor of a new card that will handle 10.1? I have been assuming that there would be a driver update available when the time comes that would include the ability to run directX 10.1. But, will there actually be a need for a hardware update instead? I really want to get that question resolved once and for all.

Thanks in advance.

Richard

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Question for John Wilkinson
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Question for John Wilkinson
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The simple answer is....
by soldano / August 31, 2007 7:48 PM PDT

M$ has basically said stiff luck to anyone who has purchased DX10 cards. They can not be firmware updated or anything else can't be done to them to support the new standard. This has been confirmed by multiple geek sites and you can Google them yourself.

DX10.1 cards will be the new standard shortly and any DX10.1 games will be specific to those cards for any added enhancements; however that is not to say these games will not be playable on DX10 cards. I believe the game vendors will be very mindful of this and opt to just have them be DX10 compatible. I really wouldn't worry too much about it as I don't feel it's a big red herring for the industry.
It does show however the contempt and frivolous ties M$ has towards its hardware partners and 3rd party gaming developers. Any wonder why vendors dragged their backsides in creating drivers for the all new wizbang Vista
As i mentioned earlier i wouldn't bother too much with it as I am not . This written by the owner of 2 nvidia 8800 gts cards in SLi mode.

Collapse -
It's backwards-compatible...
by John.Wilkinson / September 1, 2007 11:37 AM PDT

Microsoft designed DirectX 10.1 to be backwards compatible to minimize the impact. Those with graphics cards designed for DirectX 10 can download and install DirectX 10.1 provided they have Vista's SP1 installed. However, DirectX 10 graphics cards are not capable of supporting most of the enhancements made, so the benefits of upgrading would be minimal. The point to take out of that is that games designed for DirectX 10.1 will still be able to run on your DirectX 10 graphics card, update or not, though you'll be missing out on a few performance tweaks. (Microsoft is downplaying the possibility of a game developer designing a game that requires one of the enhancements, likely encouraging them not to do so.)

John

Collapse -
thanks for the response John...
by bklynrickel / September 1, 2007 12:47 PM PDT

i think i understand... or do i? i'm not sure...but maybe...well...

it's not your answer that's confusing, but the fact that microsoft developed 10.1 but will not encourage developers to use it. hum. sometimes i buy new clothes, but it takes me a while to begin to wear them. i don't know why i do that, but i guess microsoft does the same thing with software. i'm not sure that's a good analogy. well, i'm glad anyway that i can still use my 8600GT card because it's a good one. Happy

Collapse -
Use vs require...
by John.Wilkinson / September 1, 2007 1:42 PM PDT

Don't get me wrong, Microsoft is definitely encouraging the development of hardware and software to take advantage of DirectX 10.1. However, they aren't pushing for developers to release games that require DirectX 10.1, alienating their DirectX 10 users. Quite to the contrary, Sam Glassenberg, Microsoft's Direct3D Program Manager, emphasized to existing users that "DirectX 10.1 fully supports DirectX 10 hardware. No hardware support is being removed. It's strictly a superset. It's basically an update to DirectX 10 that extends the hardware functionality slightly." It does seem a bit out of character to downplay a product release, but then again look at the backlash when Vista didn't support hardware/software released just months earlier.

John

P.S. I just realized that if I said your card was obsolete you'd be more apt to donate it to the first person who responded. Don't I feel stupid. Wink

Collapse -
microsoft doesn't have to worry about me...
by bklynrickel / September 1, 2007 2:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Use vs require...

i'm already alienated from them just like everyone else. i'm like a distant cousin twice removed. macs are nice but unnecessarily expensive, and linux is kind of out of the park for me. so that leaves vista or an abacus - but you can't really play at all on an abacus. you may say that my relationship with microsoft is well... strained. they are not straight shooters and you can't have a good relationship without open communication and trust.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.