Cameras forum

General discussion

Question for Cnet Editors...

Is there one brand of digital cameras you would rank as the best in general?

I know there can be good and bad camera models in every brand but does one brand stick out from the rest as being overall better?

It seems to me that Canon's image quality is better than most cameras, and while they don't always pile on the features with their cameras, image quality is the point of a camera.

I'm just curious to what you guys think.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Question for Cnet Editors...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Question for Cnet Editors...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Best Camera Company

In reply to: Question for Cnet Editors...

Any answer would be subjective.

What is the best car manufacturer?

Ask the person who has a Ford....they says Ford.
Ask the person who has a Toyota....they say Toyota.
etc, etc, etc,

And never, never, never, never ask.....
"which is better..Canon or Nikon"

Whooooooooo Wheeeeeeeeee that is sure to start a fight.

Collapse -
Best Camera Company

In reply to: Best Camera Company

I know it's all personal opinion but I would like a professional's opinion. I have my own already. I understand if they can't tell for their jobs sake, or if they don't even read these, but I thought it'd be worth a try.

Collapse -
Best Camera Company

Since I make zero dollars per hour at Cnet, I can risk it all and give my opinion.

I don't think any of the camera companies are the best.
They all could do better.

I own digital camera from:

Epson
Olympus
Canon
Konica Minolta

At different times of my life a camera company had what I was looking for.
I chose what suited my needs.

No one has made that elusive perfect camera yet.
And don't look for one any time soon.

When the early digital cameras came out, there were some outstanding cameras built. They were expensive for the time, but they were loaded with features.

The Olympus C-2100UZ was and is a great camera.
Released in the year 2000.
2 MP, 10X zoom, image stabilization, TIFF, 1.8'' LCD, full manual controls and it sold for well over $1,000.
It was and is known to its users as the UZi.

Of course technology has advanced and now 2 meg looks lame.

Fujifilm also built some great cameras back in 2000.

But today's digital is built to sell for a target price. And to sell in large quantities. So, compromise is the name of the game.

Now we are getting the best that can be built for a certain price.

Wouldn't you like to have a 3X camera with a f1.8 lens? Well Olympus has such a lens and it was on the C-3030 and C-4040 cameras. It has been deemed, too expensive to manufacture.

Collapse -
Best Camera Company

Thanks,
I understand what you are saying and I would probably agree. But the truth is, I can't afford a 1000$ camera so the fact that they make cheap ones is nice. What they put on the market is what they put on the market and we live with that unless we go into the business.
Thus is life, but i'm still on my "quest" to find out what camera brands people prefer.

There are people who buy Honda cars only because it's Honda and they trust them. People only buy Ford for reasons I don't understand but they'd buy nothing else.

Does anyone out here feel that way about a camera brand and have reasons why? I suppose Cnet Editors won't or can't give their view but I'd still like anyones thoughts.

Collapse -
Best Camera

I have bought a Honda automobile because I drove my wife's Honda and loved it. We both will purchase a new Honda in the future also. I prefer Honda because the automobile has great features and updates their features.

I have a 35mm Nikon and a Canon camera, plus an Olypus Stylist for different needs. My latest two years ago was an S400 Digital Elph that I go traveling with and can put into my front pant-pocket jeans. Neat. Good photos.
My next camera in two months from now will be a Canon SD500 because the camera is very good for what I need it for. Small, easy to conceil in my front pocket and great photos. You could spend more money for a better camera.
How about $5,000 for a digital studio camera? Try stuffing that thing into your Jeans pocket!
It's not what is the best camera. It is about what you intend to use it for.

Kevin

Collapse -
Best Camera Co

Joe, the heck with which is better! I have the answer to it all!

FerrariNikon powered with a cannon. CanonSD2006 Googolplex, mounted on the old Ford T-Bird. What could be better? Add a twin powered Intel Quad-drive processor mounted under the dash. That?s what I call power and the best! Add a periscope and you can go snorkeling at the same time. Headlights have red-eye reduction for the fish. Battery life is great. 24-volt marine battery. :

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.