Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Question about using msconfig / task manager

by ThatConfusedMo / January 14, 2009 6:26 AM PST

The reason why I'm asking this is because at my start up theres way to many processes running, when my computer first starts up and I open up task manager I got 22 processes running, thats not to bad, but I really can't open anything for like 5 - 10 min because its still loading the other stuff.

5 minutes later I go from 22 processes to like 67 and I have an older computer (with 256MB of RAM, yes I know) and that stuff is killing me.

So my question is in msconfig there is a enable all / disable all option in the startup tab, what happens if I check off disable all and my computer does not boot properly, what do I do?

And in task manager if I terminate something I shouldn't have would a simple restart fix the problem?

Any help appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Question about using msconfig / task manager
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Question about using msconfig / task manager
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
to many programs running
by Skilroya / January 16, 2009 11:19 PM PST

many software programs will add themselves to your start up. I would suspect that over the years this is what has happened. I would not disable all as you do or want certain programs to run at start up. do go to msconfig--click on the start up tab and uncheck those programs that you do not want to run at start up. after you reboot you will receive a error message that (i cannot remember what is says) wants you to go back into msconfig and go back to "normal" start up. disregard this message, you can check the box at the bottom and it will suppress this message as you will now be in "selective start up" this should help with your time frame. Do be careful and do not uncheck any programs that are needed for your computer to run, in another word if you cannot identify what they are then best to leave them alone.
i would also recommend that you go to control panel and remove any programs that you no longer need.

Collapse -
I agree with the other advice
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 17, 2009 5:34 AM PST

about MSCONFIG and the Startup tab.

You can always use Google or any other search engine to lookup any entries you are not sure about, but in general, you don't want anything like Instant Messengers starting up, or Quicktime, Real Player, or any Real products. You do need one anti-virus, and only one anti-spyware utility starting. The other anti-spyware scanners you have you can use them for manual scans as and when you need them.

Look at your System Tray, where the clock is. If yu have a ton of icons there, then they are all Startup files, and most won't be needed. Hover your mouse over each one to find out what they are, and any you don't need at boot up, right click the icon and see what options there are to open the software and check for any "Load at startup" items.

You really don't want to use MSCONFIG to disable processes or services. Instead, goto Start > Run, type in services.msc and click OK. This will open the Services Console, and here you can scroll down and check each one. Double click an entry to change its "Startup type:".

The Elder Geek.com can help you investigate each service here; http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

Lastly, and I think you know this is coming, more RAM would help greatly. 1GB is good, 2GB is fantastic, Happy

Mark

Collapse -
misguided
by 4johnnycash / January 17, 2009 8:23 AM PST

call computer manufacturer and get them to tell you what, you can or can not turn off!!

Collapse -
Thanks for the help everyone!...
by Mikerules868 / January 18, 2009 11:25 AM PST
In reply to: misguided

...except for that last guy, but anyways:
I used google, msconfig (startup & service tabs) and I managed to get down to 38 processes (at start up).

The only issue I have now is that an svchost is raping my computer (at times, taking up to 150,000 KB of memory!) so I terminate it and I guess it is my audio driver because then I lose all sound, although I can still hear system sounds.

Its really weird because when I click that that little speaker icon in the bottom right of the screen (by the clock) I get a "There are no active mixer devices available" and something that tells me to add one in the control panel, or something like that.

I don't know whats going on there, I even tried updating the driver but not success, damn on board realtek ac97 audio.

Anyways thanks again for the help and any help regarding this new issue (which has been occurring before the massive process cut down) would be appreciated.

Collapse -
38 processes. That's not bad at all.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 18, 2009 7:56 PM PST

I tend to agree about that last post. Much better to sort the problems out yourself, with, perhaps, a little help from others, Happy

About that svchost and sound problem, see if this helps;

"What you have to do is start the Windows Audio Service. For some reason it gets stopped. Here's what the post said:

Go to Start --> Run, and type in services.msc.

A window will pop up with a list of services. Scroll down to Windows Audio. Right-click
and click on Properties.

Make sure that "Startup type" is set to automatic. Also, make sure, under "Service
status," start is selected."

That was from this site here;
http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1505389&SiteID=1

If not, try Googling There are no active mixer devices available and see what other options may be available.

svchost can be present in more than one instant in the Task Manager, and generally that's OK. But if any of those entries refers to an svchost that is located in C:\Windows, and not in its usual location of C:\Windows\System32, then you may have a virus.

If you fix the sound problem and that solves the svchost, then you are probably OK. But if the svchost problem persists, then perhaps more investigation is necessary.

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
Intresting
by Mikerules868 / January 19, 2009 9:55 AM PST

So I did all that stuff, and it said it was started, so I stopped it and that error message came up, then I restarted it and it worked. So the question is, why is Windows Audio taking up so much of my memory?

If I ever figure it out, I'll post it here.

Collapse -
Not sure, but
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 19, 2009 7:15 PM PST
In reply to: Intresting

maybe svchost is continuously attempting to resolve something that needed that service running.

Glad it worked for you though.

Mark

Collapse -
Finally, someone who had my problem!
by svvparakala / August 12, 2009 10:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Intresting

I had exactly your problem cause svchost wsa raping my pc too!
So after i deleted one of it, my audio screwed up.
But i screwed it up even more than you, see after that, i tried updating my drivers, now even system sounds won't work.
I tried the restarting the windows audio thing, but nothing still works.
I have been barely surviving without audio from my cmoupter for about a week! I am really fed up with this issue, so i reaaaaallllyyy need your help, anyone just give me any help plz!

Greatly Appreciated,

-svvparakala

Collapse -
to: Question about using msconfig / task manager
by nimd4 / July 11, 2009 6:05 AM PDT

ThatConfusedMofo,

1. disabling all will not make the computer unbootable; Might just bring about some dialog boxes (depending on software installed :)).

2. svchost handles a lot of processes, you can check them out with Process Explorer for example ( http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx ).

3. TuneUp Utilites is 30-days free trial and it has a StartUp Manager ( http://www.tune-up.com/products/tuneup-utilities/features/increase-performance/ ) and a nice, relatively safe Registry cleaner/defragger

P.S. Before using StartUp Manager, perhaps msconfig should be reverted to "Normal startup" & without rebooting.

P.P.S. To reduce svchost's processes, (some) Windows Services can be set to "Disabled" ( http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm ).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!